Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
GXR-K. the time is yesterday.
They don't plan to do it apparently :

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax:
Is there any integration between the Ricoh GXR and Pentax goals?

It is an idea that has been shuffled, but it is difficult for the same reason we mentioned before, the required distance between the sensor and the lens mount of K.

10-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally I hope that is the last thing they do. The GXR is an acute minority camera to begin with - I have never seen one in a camera shop here - and chances are high that anyone who bought such a module would not buy extra lenses for it because they already have them. So, the revenue returned would be minimal. It's the old problem of staying within your (ageing and declining) userbase. I hope they come up with a strategy to break out of that, though the experience of the K-01 suggests that breaking out using the K-mount may not be possible.

Where I live, one large retail chain typically has three display stands: one of compacts, one of MILCs (m43 and NEX mostly) and one of basic DSLRs. You're either on one of those stands or not in the shop. The K-01 straddled the second two stands, because it is K-mount, and so fell through all three.
10-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
They don't plan to do it apparently :
yeah, doesn't really have to be a true GXR-module, even a completely fixed K-Mount mirrorless with the controls and ergonomics of a GXR would go a long way in washing away the experimental taste of the K-01 and give Pentax a true, viable mirrorless entry without recreating yet another mount.

that said, if i see a Q-mount module for the GXR before this happens i'm going to puke.

Last edited by illdefined; 10-04-2012 at 02:53 PM.
10-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Personally I hope that is the last thing they do. The GXR is an acute minority camera to begin with - I have never seen one in a camera shop here - and chances are high that anyone who bought such a module would not buy extra lenses for it because they already have them. So, the revenue returned would be minimal. It's the old problem of staying within your (ageing and declining) userbase. I hope they come up with a strategy to break out of that, though the experience of the K-01 suggests that breaking out using the K-mount may not be possible.

Where I live, one large retail chain typically has three display stands: one of compacts, one of MILCs (m43 and NEX mostly) and one of basic DSLRs. You're either on one of those stands or not in the shop. The K-01 straddled the second two stands, because it is K-mount, and so fell through all three.
fair point. but a K-module would at least give some more meat to the concept of interchangeable mounts, and in this context, interchangeable sensors. would've much rather have had the option of buying a new sensor/mount every other year than (hypothetically) buying the K-7, K-5, K-5IIs......as it stands now, I don't think Pentax could support yet another lens mount (Q, K, 645).

10-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #65
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
it's bad idea. no need to mix two different systems inside one company.
10-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
it's bad idea. no need to mix two different systems inside one company.
Would not a GXR-K module combine the two systems? Not arguing good or bad, just want to understand your reasoning.
10-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #67
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Would not a GXR-K module combine the two systems? Not arguing good or bad, just want to understand your reasoning.
My thought is simple.

1. K-mount unit will be BIG. Flange focal distance is one of the longest in the world between FF mounts.
Diameter of K-mount is big too. M-mount 27.8 mm (FFD) * 44 mm (external diameter)
K-mount - 45.5 mm * 60 mm

K-unit with AF would be very big (I see this idea unreal). Without AF - for what?
K-mount unit for GXR is like putting a saddle on a cow.

Pentax Ricoh offers K-30, K-5II and K-5IIs and K-01 for K-mount lenses with or without AF.
Why do we need one more camera for K-mount?

If you want to use K-mount lenses at GXR right now - buy M-unit + K-mount adapter. Welcome. It would be a bit smaller than mythical K-mount unit.
No any problem to buy any other EVIL + K-mount adapter.

2. GXR has very weak battery - AF K-lenses and GXR are almost useless combo - it will be huge power consumption.

3. GXR has ANOTHER conception - it's small and compact mirrorless system. Almost pocket-size.

4. Ricoh has no any plan to mix two different systems - see the reason below
Google Translate
It is an idea that has been shuffled, but it is difficult for the same reason we mentioned before, the required distance between the sensor and the lens mount of K.

5. Idea of K-unit for GXR is from users which never used GXR body...Yes. There are some GXR users who want it, but it seems to me such unit won't be called-for at the market.
GXR is niche product. We need more GXR units - compact and high-quality, K-mount unit is not high required.

Last edited by ogl; 10-05-2012 at 12:34 AM.
10-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How to make one of these new-fangled mirrorless thingies: take a DSLR, remove mirror, prism and viewfinder. Job done!

Erm, no. The K-01 is a special camera alright. "Special" as in "needs". Current prices look like EOL clearance to me. Might be a future curiosity, I guess, except that any digital camera of today will be useless ten years from now, even if it's still working.
10-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #69
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I am prepared to support Pentax and I have invested much but there comes a time when one has to re-evaluate the overall direction where one wants to go and what to shoot with. I am prepared to buy the K-5 IIs tomorrow if it was available but I am wary of plonking more money for Pentax glass because they haven't been able to deliver the large aperture lenses that I have patiently waited for a long time. In hindsight I should have followed the advice of a very authoritative Pentax user friend of mine to ditch all the DA lenses in my collection. As it stands, I'll keep some Pentax gear as a photographic curiosity and write-off the money spent, which is frankly pretty cheap in the bigger scheme of things.

I'm far happier to use my Ricoh GXR but it is FF where I'll be. There is definitely a big difference between APS-C and FF where image quality is concerned and good as the K-5 is, it's just no match with what the competition can presently deliver. Pentax has lost it's bearings on where it ought to be and for Pentax users like me who are prepared to invest in the brand in the past, there is no longer any compelling reason to support it any longer than necessary. Like ogl, I have happily ditched my K-5 because it took just 5 minutes of playing around with the K-30 to convince me that the newer camera is lot better where AF is concerned. All that dynamic range and resolution count for very little if the camera can't focus for nuts.
LOL, I am actually agreeing with you. I am keeping my Pentax gear also. Just for grins really. I am keeping the Sigma 500 and 300 primes.
I switched to Canon a little over a year ago. But keep hoping for a good camera from Pentax. But at this point I really don't care anymore.
Have decided to buy threw this site for my next Pentax body though. I expect I will wait until prices start coming down on the cameras now. i wont pre-order or even think about glass. There are allot of camera company out there that are really good. Not just Canon or Nikon though.
LOL I am 60 years old, ain't got that much time left. Might as well enjoy while i can with what is available..
I have this mental pic of my self laying on my death bed and my last words are. Check the Pentax site and see if they have the FF available.
10-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I have this mental pic of my self laying on my death bed and my last words are. Check the Pentax site and see if they have the FF available.
lol, the worst death ever :/
10-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't understand why the K-01 done correctly wouldn't work. Put some decent specs, auto focus comparable to the OM-D and a better ergonomic shape . Seal it to boot and I think it would sell like gang busters. Offer an EVF separately (most people interested in a K-01 type camera really don't care about an EVF any way.

Then, release sealed versions of the DA limiteds. People would eat them up, even without new lenses with recessed elements.
10-05-2012, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't understand why the K-01 done correctly wouldn't work. Put some decent specs, auto focus comparable to the OM-D and a better ergonomic shape . Seal it to boot and I think it would sell like gang busters. Offer an EVF separately (most people interested in a K-01 type camera really don't care about an EVF any way.

Then, release sealed versions of the DA limiteds. People would eat them up, even without new lenses with recessed elements.
+1, but 1000 members here would collectively scream, "It's too effin big! Why no new mount?"
10-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #73
Site Supporter

My thought is simple.

1. K-mount unit will be BIG. Flange focal distance is one of the longest in the world between FF mounts.
Diameter of K-mount is big too. M-mount 27.8 mm (FFD) * 44 mm (external diameter)
K-mount - 45.5 mm * 60 mm

K-unit with AF would be very big (I see this idea unreal). Without AF - for what?
K-mount unit for GXR is like putting a saddle on a cow.

Pentax Ricoh offers K-30, K-5II and K-5IIs and K-01 for K-mount lenses with or without AF.
Why do we need one more camera for K-mount?

If you want to use K-mount lenses at GXR right now - buy M-unit + K-mount adapter. Welcome. It would be a bit smaller than mythical K-mount unit.
No any problem to buy any other EVIL + K-mount adapter.

2. GXR has very weak battery - AF K-lenses and GXR are almost useless combo - it will be huge power consumption.

3. GXR has ANOTHER conception - it's small and compact mirrorless system. Almost pocket-size.

4. Ricoh has no any plan to mix two different systems - see the reason below
Google Translate

5. Idea of K-unit for GXR is from users which never used GXR body...Yes. There are some GXR users who want it, but it seems to me such unit won't be called-for at the market.
GXR is niche product. We need more GXR units - compact and high-quality, K-mount unit is not high required.
It wouldnt have to be "very big" even at 17.51mm deeper than the m module, and the K-mount registration is slightly shorter than the F-mount and 1.46mm longer than the EOS. And the key there is "almost" pocket size. My GF2 isn't pocket size with the Oly 12mm or 45/1.8 lens on there. A coat pocket, maybe. However, coats only get used in Florida a short period of the year. An apsc module would be relatively compact with a DA 15, 21, 35, 40 or 70 LTD. A ff module would be pretty cool with a FA 31, 43 or 77 on it. You keep using the "saddle on a cow" analogy. I don't think the GXR is a cow.

Last edited by Blue; 10-05-2012 at 06:50 AM.
10-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #74
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It wouldnt have to be "very big" and the K-mount registration is slightly shorter than the F-mount and 1.46mm longer than the EOS. And the key there is "almost" pocket size. My GF2 isn't pocket size with the Oly 12mm or 45/1.8 lens on there. A coat pocket, maybe. However, coats only get used in Florida a short period of the year. An apsc module would be relatively compact with a DA 15, 21, 35, 40 or 70 LTD. A ff module would be pretty cool with a FA 31, 43 or 77 on it. You keep using the "saddle on a cow" analogy. I don't think the GXR is a cow.
Do you think that F and EOS mount are small? It's big as K-mount. Clear me, please, what do you mean to refer to F and EOS mounts?

GXR+A12 28 and A12 50 are good for my jaсket pocket. A12 28 is almost pancake.

FF K-mount unit without AF and APS-C K-mount unit without AF for GXR are absurd fantasy and nothing else....Useless. What is the point to use DA15 at GXR if you can put it at K-01 or K-30, K20D, K200D and K-5...?
I can say one more time - buy M-unit + K-mount adapter and use your lenses right now. Or use K-lenses with your m4/3 cameras...
But I don't understand - if there is any sense to do it...

If Ricoh introduce new GXR2 body for Ricoh FF AF units, it could be interesting...Or maybe something to compete with RX1 - FF module with 40/2 lens.
Anyway, APS-C units are VERY small and light with outstanding quality.
10-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #75
Site Supporter

. . .
I can say one more time - buy M-unit + K-mount adapter and use your lenses right now. Or use K-lenses with your m4/3 cameras...
But I don't understand - if there is any sense to do it...

If Ricoh introduce new GXR2 body for Ricoh FF AF units, it could be interesting...Or maybe something to compete with RX1 - FF module with 40/2 lens.
Anyway, APS-C units are VERY small and light with outstanding quality.
If the m module was ff sensor, I would do it. 4/3 sensor is smaller than aps-c. The point of an apsc k module is af. A ff module could be mf or af. I don't think they need a bigger GXR body for it.

[QUOTE][GXR+A12 28 and A12 50 are good for my jaсket pocket. A12 28 is almost pancake. /QUOTE]

They are also Lensors. That means the glass gets chucked with the sensor when the module is replaced with a better sensor.