QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Aw geez! Not you too?

I am just trying to fold the Q, K-01 and ff all into one. Hysterical

10-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Hmmm...what do you think the point is?
The point of a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera is to give you the image quality of a high-end camera without having to go to the faff of actually lugging one around! The Q failed by not being competitive with a good smartphone. The K-01 failed by not being compact. It's like two different teams only got half the point each.
10-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #108
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Funny, the argument against the Q is the opposite. Looks great and serious to use, but what's inside is what's holding it back..
This is what is produced when one tries too hard to be different - extremes.
10-07-2012, 04:43 PM - 2 Likes   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
The point of a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera is to give you the image quality of a high-end camera without having to go to the faff of actually lugging one around! The Q failed by not being competitive with a good smartphone. The K-01 failed by not being compact. It's like two different teams only got half the point each.
Umm, no. The MILCs - generally - don't provide the image quality of a high-end camera, or even a mid range camera. The best image quality from a MILC is on a par with the K5, not a D800/5D/A99 etc. The idea is to be of better quality than a P&S or phone cam while being smaller than a DSLR. It is up to the user to decide what "better quality" amounts to.

The Q is streets ahead of the smartphones, simply by its ability to change lenses. And change the exposure parameters from the body (not in menus). And shoot in manual mode. And shoot RAW.

The question is not "is the IQ from the Q as good as the other MILCs" but "is it good enough for what I want to do?". For casual photography, including most travel, the Q will be good enough for the web or photo album. In that situation having the smallest possible system is a bonus. For serious photography I will use the K5 and nothing less will be acceptable (and, yes, if the D800E came in a k-mount version I would buy that). If Pentax had used a larger sensor then it's camera would have competed directly with the m4/3 crowd and would have had to beat all of them to stand a chance. The Q now owns the "smallest MILC" niche, there is no competition. Best of all for Pentax, the Q system is an obvious complement to their existing DSLRs, not an alternative.

The K-01 on the other hand simply proves that DSLR lenses make your MILC unacceptably large.

10-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Umm, no. The MILCs - generally - don't provide the image quality of a high-end camera, or even a mid range camera. The best image quality from a MILC is on a par with the K5, not a D800/5D/A99 etc. The idea is to be of better quality than a P&S or phone cam while being smaller than a DSLR. It is up to the user to decide what "better quality" amounts to.

The Q is streets ahead of the smartphones, simply by its ability to change lenses. And change the exposure parameters from the body (not in menus). And shoot in manual mode. And shoot RAW.

The question is not "is the IQ from the Q as good as the other MILCs" but "is it good enough for what I want to do?". For casual photography, including most travel, the Q will be good enough for the web or photo album. In that situation having the smallest possible system is a bonus. For serious photography I will use the K5 and nothing less will be acceptable (and, yes, if the D800E came in a k-mount version I would buy that). If Pentax had used a larger sensor then it's camera would have competed directly with the m4/3 crowd and would have had to beat all of them to stand a chance. The Q now owns the "smallest MILC" niche, there is no competition. Best of all for Pentax, the Q system is an obvious complement to their existing DSLRs, not an alternative.

The K-01 on the other hand simply proves that DSLR lenses make your MILC unacceptably large.

When you say "image quality," what are you referring to? IQ on prints, large prints, on uncalibrated monitors, iPad? Quite frankly, when viewing small prints, I am not sure how much better FF cameras can be compared to K-5/ltd lenses. On somewhat larger prints at corresponding distances, maybe a novice can tell a difference to a certain extent, but probably not reliably in my opinion. If posting blog pictures on the net, iPhone cam is adequate, Q is almost an overkill.

It seems like to me that Pentax got sucked into mirrorless fab, and with Q, they were able to differentiate themselves (that may or may not have translated to sales depending on who u ask and where u look), but with K-01 they seem to have missed the mark in a very goofy ways that are very hard to define. That camera, while I love the design a lot, is neither here nor there; I am still not sure what it was all about, really.
10-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good point. It's still a dedicated camera, even if its sensor is smaller than the Nokia 808's. If the Q were made by Canon and Nikon, and still launched with the same proposition (world's smallest ILC), I'd bet it will sell in larger numbers. The Q has a lot of potential; it was just introduced with the wrong price, targeted at too small a market (as if Pentax has a good idea of markets so far... only the DSLRs make sense in that aspect)
10-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Good point. It's still a dedicated camera, even if its sensor is smaller than the Nokia 808's. If the Q were made by Canon and Nikon, and still launched with the same proposition (world's smallest ILC), I'd bet it will sell in larger numbers. The Q has a lot of potential; it was just introduced with the wrong price, targeted at too small a market (as if Pentax has a good idea of markets so far... only the DSLRs make sense in that aspect)
I don't think so, most of the world thinks the Nikon 1 is the smallest ILC (thanks to real marketing) and it still hasn't made much of an impact.

10-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
When you say "image quality," what are you referring to? IQ on prints, large prints, on uncalibrated monitors, iPad? Quite frankly, when viewing small prints, I am not sure how much better FF cameras can be compared to K-5/ltd lenses.
When we travel I'll have an SLR (*ist-D, then K7, and currently a K5) and my girlfriend will have a compact (was an Optio WP, now a Q). For a lot of the stuff we shot her 5mp Optio WP produced 4x6 and 5x7 prints that were just as good as the prints from the ist-D and K7. 5x7 is about the same resolution as the new iPad and more than most displays. Very few prints would be made larger than that. So while a bigger sensor is better than a smaller sensor, a lot of the time we don't reach the limits of the smaller sensor so the difference is irrelevant.
10-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Very few prints would be made larger than that. So while a bigger sensor is better than a smaller sensor, a lot of the time we don't reach the limits of the smaller sensor so the difference is irrelevant.
Absolutely but if the camera industry stopped at "good enough" we'd all still have 5mp DSLRs. What % of D800 buyers really need 36mp? Likely very few.

The market is the market unfortunately, and as a company/brand Pentax has to participate if it wants to continue to exist. (see Leica)
10-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I am just trying to fold the Q, K-01 and ff all into one. :Hysterical:
You forgot the 645D there!
10-08-2012, 04:39 AM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
Fair enough...but when you add in the GXR, you end up with a wider selection of offerings than any other manufacturer. They've got the range from smartphone to DSLR pretty well covered.
10-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote

It's honestly too late to enter mirrorless with a new mount
Huh? Didn't Nikon and Canon both enter a new mount within the last six months, as you're aware?

They don't think it's too late, but you think it's too late for Pentax...? (I agree that it's a bad idea, but I don't think it's 'too late')
10-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They should use E mount and provide a really good adapter with everything bar screw drive. And make some choice E mount lenses.
10-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #119
Pentaxian

Yes, a nice migration path from Pentax to Sony is exactly what Pentax should provide
10-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Huh? Didn't Nikon and Canon both enter a new mount within the last six months, as you're aware?

They don't think it's too late, but you think it's too late for Pentax...? (I agree that it's a bad idea, but I don't think it's 'too late')
Pentax isn't Canon or Nikon. If those two wanted to bust out a pro-mirrorless and complete new lens line-up for it in a span of two years they could. They're being slow on mirrorless on purpose, and they can afford to wait.

As it currently stands, Pentax is in last place re: mirrorless (and DSLRs) of all the camera manufacturers, who knows what they can afford.