Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax K-01 is a special model, not a new line of cameras

Google Translate

Hiraku Kawauchi, director of public relations for Pentax Ricoh Japan

10-01-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"We investigated this issue for some time, and in fact still do. But we lose some of our most important features, such as the small size of the cameras or the moderate price, in exchange for a full frame sensor. It's a challenge. Moreover, our range now is basically focused optical cameras with APS-C sensor."

Looks like FF may still come around once they resolve the camera size issue........
10-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks ogl. It sounds like they're working on a 24mp APS-C body: "So we are confident that we can achieve a balance between the offerings. When we do develop this camera."

It's amazing how much more talkative Pentax has become since the Ricoh takeover. It's great to see, and I like what they're saying too.

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Looks like FF may still come around once they resolve the camera size issue........
Nothing imminent, but they're not saying "no" as they did before Ricoh took over.
10-01-2012, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
We investigated this issue for some time, and in fact still do. But we lose some of our most important features, such as the small size of the cameras or the moderate price, in exchange for a full frame sensor. It's a challenge. Moreover, our range now is basically focused optical cameras with APS-C sensor.
Sounds to me that they have looked at FF and decided they give up too much of what Pentax is (small size, moderate price) and their 'range' (lens selection) is focused on APS-C. So they are being polite and non-committal but have no intention of bringing out a FF camera within the foreseeable future.

My point is not to start an argument but simply to say that the statements from Pentax if listened to objectively have consistently said no FF. The same statement can be construed in different ways particularly if the listener is hoping to hear a particular thing. And that is the key to these statements, they do not want to just say 'NO', that would lose them customers who might jump ship and would also be considered rude. It is not nice to say "no", so you just say "we are investigating this" and leave everything else up to the listener. I spent most of my life in retail and we were always taught to never, ever say "no" to a customer. If they ask for something in blue and you don't have it you say "we have a lovely model in green and are investigating getting some blue ones".

10-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

My point is not to start an argument but simply to say that the statements from Pentax if listened to objectively have consistently said no FF. The same statement can be construed in different ways particularly if the listener is hoping to hear a particular thing. And that is the key to these statements, they do not want to just say 'NO', that would lose them customers who might jump ship and would also be considered rude. It is not nice to say "no", so you just say "we are investigating this" and leave everything else up to the listener. I spent most of my life in retail and we were always taught to never, ever say "no" to a customer. If they ask for something in blue and you don't have it you say "we have a lovely model in green and are investigating getting some blue ones".
YES. 100% hit.
10-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks, ogl.

I'm not sure how non-committal they actually are. While reading the interview one could believe Pentax is doing nothing but "thinking" and "investigating" potential products; yet we know that's far from being true: they are working, hard.

By the way, AFAIR they never said "no" about a "full frame" camera; it was always something like "right now there are other priorities" (e.g. the 645D) or "we'll think about it, if the market conditions will be right". Now they are "investigating", which is a step forward (I wouldn't hold my breath, though).
At least, I would say that if those predictions about the "full frame" getting so much cheaper and taking over the world would become reality, Pentax will be there. I wouldn't hold my breath for that, either
10-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
APS-C may sell well at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised to read in ten years, that Pentax missed the trend of FF digital cameras.

10-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Ten years is a long time; ten years ago Pentax had no DSLR on the market - and Kodak had.
10-01-2012, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #9

The K-01 is a uniquely interesting camera. As the Edsel of modern cameras, no doubt it will soon be gone. But it was an audacious idea in an era of predictable results. I would class it as a desirable collectible and a reliable investment. Despite Marc Newsome's unfortunate bashing, which he didn't deserve, the K-01 will eventually be considered a noble experiment and a cool camera to own. Some day you will wished you had bought some.
10-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
K-01 is camera more for world of design and glamour, freaks and young users, for enthusiasts than for mainstream...
If Pentax really wanted to make K-mount EVIL system, K-01 would be another in engineering terms.
It's simple as day.

P.S. Anyway, I don't care about Pentax cameras and lenses anymore. I have 6 primes and K200D and it's enough for me.
I've lost interest to modern Pentax gears.

Last edited by ogl; 10-01-2012 at 10:58 AM.
10-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Shame to hear that. I think you might have invested too much wishing in the musing of a Russian Pentax Dealer Rep.
10-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Banned

P.S. Anyway, I don't care about Pentax cameras and lenses anymore. I have 6 primes and K200D and it's enough for me.
That is a pitty. Well I still think the K-01 is a very nice and usable camera that can produce excellent images in the right hands (like mine)
10-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

you're not alone. that's the danger of not showing prototypes or communicating even more with your customers about upcoming projects. even just teasers.

at the risk of temporarily stopping sales of current equipment (while people save money for your new project), you run the even higher risk of people giving up on/getting out of/not getting into Pentax altogether.

Last edited by illdefined; 10-01-2012 at 11:54 AM.
10-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If they going to focus on cropped sensor they better start getting a little more sensible about their lens pricing. A DA 12-24 in the UK goes for around eight hundred pounds whereas the full frame Nikon 16-35 with VR goes for around 60 to 70 pounds more. If and when these D600's start to fall in price like the d800 did this year then the price difference between either systems is going to be a lot less dramatic and if i was starting out i know what way i would go even though i love the K5 and Pentax Limiteds amongst many other brilliant aspects of the system like great ergonomics and solid build etc. I don't need a full frame personally, but i definitely then Pentax do with the way things are going!
10-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sounds to me that they have looked at FF and decided they give up too much of what Pentax is (small size, moderate price) and their 'range' (lens selection) is focused on APS-C. So they are being polite and non-committal but have no intention of bringing out a FF camera within the foreseeable future.

I read somewhere once that in Japanese culture, it is rude to say `no' (and it is entirely possible that I read this in a work of fiction - like `Rising Sun' - so add grains of salt as necessary)...

Perhaps the Pentax engineers/executives are simply trying to be polite.