Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #46
Pentaxian

I dont agree.
I just regret it's selling cost - too high in comparison with concurring Sony's models. Moreover, i regret the fact that Pentax could have made a great deal and surprised everybody in putting a FF sensor in it.
Maybe K-11 ...

10-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #47
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I dont agree.
I just regret it's selling cost - too high in comparison with concurring Sony's models. Moreover, i regret the fact that Pentax could have made a great deal and surprised everybody in putting a FF sensor in it.
Maybe K-11 ...
What a great idea, and you can still call it a "special model" instead of a new cameraline. I would like mine yellow!
10-03-2012, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
C'mon, they took very limited (no pun intended) risk by doing a K-01.
It is a side model, so if it doesn't work, no major damage.
It proofed tech used in later models (K30 at least).
It actually brings things for some (yep, some prefer no mirror, I don't but I respect that).
It is no more no less compatible with K mount than other bodies.
They can end it/the line if unsuccessful
They added a distinctive thing with the Newson design (so it adds something, again... like or not).

Why shouldn't they have tried? (which doesn't mean you should have bought it, not at all).
10-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #49

Me, i like the K-01, except i think Pentax shoulda bolted Marc Newson into a chair and given him a crash course in camera ergonomics before they set him loose in the design studio.

The camera itself shows signs of being done on the cheap: That mirror box could be a lot emptier with more room for lens elements to protrude into the cavity, instead of what it looks like which is a mirror box without a mirror, and that must be just from not spending any developmental budget on redoing it. They don't even have to make room for the PDAF bits anymore in that camera.

It's a great idea to have a a part of the lens behind the mount, both in terms of solidity and protection, not to mention a more compact lens geartrain for AF, once there's no need to have the mirror in that box anymore. Pentax really didn't make the most of that idea, and they even knew all abt it given their prototype lens that stuck out behind the mount.

Of course, if iit doesn'tt cost a lot to engineer then they don't lose much if they don't continue the line.

10-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They did develop a new iteration of IBIS (2 magnets) as well as the Prinme-M image processor. I doubt either will go away just becasue the K-01 might not become a new line.
10-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Yes. K200D has better IQ in terms of colour and sharpness and much better AF accurancy.

K-5 has outstanding DR, I see it, but what should I do with this DR if AF is not reliable and AF points size are bigger than at K200D and a lot of pictures are out of focus.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/197362-most-important-questio...ike-k-5-a.html
Really ? Never encountered AF issue with the K5; but I shoot outdoor most of the time. As for the sensor, 16 Mpix gives sharper shots than 10 Mpix - may be not at the pixel level.
10-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #52
Site Supporter

I don't see a problem at all with the K-01 experiment. I think the body could have been done better. I still suspect that if the keep the GXR going, they may be doing a K-mount module for it which would make the K-01 type line redundant.

10-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #53
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
They recognize that the MILC market share is growing and is now 50% in Japan, and at the same time they say they won't continue their mirrorless k-mount line. Why ?
Also take a glance at the (about 2k) Leica mirrorless wth a fixed lens' and see how that one is rated.

I'd still place my bets on the table that the K-01 is not the end of Pentax mirrorless - and that the K-01 will be advanced upon
10-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #54
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I'd still place my bets on the table that the K-01 is not the end of Pentax mirrorless
That's an easy bet given the Q10 announcement.

I think the K-01 is the end of K mount mirrorless. Perhaps there will be a K mount module for GXR, but I doubt we'll see any MILC built around the K mount again. And that is a very good decision.
10-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #55
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Really ? Never encountered AF issue with the K5; but I shoot outdoor most of the time. As for the sensor, 16 Mpix gives sharper shots than 10 Mpix - may be not at the pixel level.
Not sharper, but better resolution. I found that K-5 is the worst Pentax camera in terms of AF accurancy.
10-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #56
Inactive Account

Remember the K01 was ex Hoya...now what Mirrorless system does RICOH have B), I don't see Ricoh dropping the GXR or running side by side with any new system. It seems the Q got in as it was popular enough hence the new model and lens. So K mounter to replace K-01 I'm guessing.
10-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #57
Banned

Given what hs already happened before the K-01 and also since... But also factor in the future...

I'll bet we still see both a Canon and a Nikon mirrorless that take the "full line" slr lens'. Perhaps in a response to this - that Pentax will offer another variation of the K-01 - still also accepting the full PK line without adapters. The other will in fact do it in a short order. It would be quite easy for Pentax to do updating to keep up with this one.
10-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #58
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I'll bet we still see both a Canon and a Nikon mirrorless that take the "full line" slr lens'. Perhaps in a response to this - that Pentax will offer another variation of the K-01 - still also accepting the full PK line without adapters. The other will in fact do it in a short order. It would be quite easy for Pentax to do updating to keep up with this one.
Well there is little sence in creating a new mount for customers that mostly only buy a kitlens and maybe down the road one pancakeprime. For such a customerbase you can't create a full line of lenses and especially when the lenses get bigger and the advantage for having a smaller camera disapears. That is for Pentax so, and also for Canon and the others. The advantage for a new line with different mount is bigger for those who create a new mount for a smaller sensor-system and thus keeping longer reachlenses smaller (m4/3th, Q and 1 series). With a big sensor that won't work. Once you need an adapter to get all out of your lenses on a systemcamera, then you might aswell just get a dslr or settle with an original mount-camera that is like K-01 (buth Canon and Nikon could do that too). Sony got into the trans Lucent to get another way of working different.

Is the K-01 a good camera? Yes I think so! Could it be improved? Well offcourse, an EVF for those who want that (not me), a FF sensor for those who would like that (count me in), more colours for those who aren'r Yellow.

Is the K-01 a succes? No I don';t think so, since I don't see camera's walking around in a city as much as other CSC's so there is still a lot to win. I don't think that the main problem for that is the K-01, but the marketpenetration for Pentax is just not strong enough to sell the K-01 in numbers large enough to make it a succes.
10-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Well, the idea (of reusing a SLR mount) is unique and has its merits so I hope they will try again, but putting more effort into it. A more ergonomic shape, more compact where it matters, EVF as an accessory (can be shared with the GXR)... I'm sure Pentax engineers can do a wonderful job, if given enough time&money.
10-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #60
Veteran Member

GXR-K. the time is yesterday.