Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #136

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Like monochrome, I also have no problem using the K-01 in bright sunlight. I look at the scene with my own eyes (the brightest viewfinder I've ever used!) and only really need to use the LCD for framing. It's a matter of personal preference, but to imply it's not usable outdoors is going a bit far, I think.

About this line of cameras not being continued, I'm not really surprised. By its very nature it's aimed at people with Pentax lenses, and further restricted in appeal by not having any option for an EVF. They should have at least given users the option of buying one. Why wouldn't they want to sell a pricy accessory like an EVF? That was a big mistake in my opinion.
I have a problem with controlling any camera with the LCD panel in bright sunlight.

You are very correct that it is a big mistake not to have an EVF. I agree that the option is needed.

I would prefer an EVF integrated into the camera body like the Nex 7 or Nikon V1, but to an add on EVF is perfectly acceptable and is the easiest modification/upgrade that can be made. Note that Olympus released the E-P1 with no EVF and in the first revision, the E-P2 and the E-PL1 both had the accessory port to drive a shoe mounted EVF.

Both the K-01 and Q need the OPTION for an EVF.

10-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #137

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The GXR is great and I would really consider getting one if they were a more aggressive about launching new modules. How about an RX100-like zoom module with a 1 inch sensor, or even just a direct successor to the S10 module? A longer fast prime suitable for portrait work would be an obvious choice. The only rumour I've heard is a 17mm equivalent unit (can't remember the original sours, but it seemed very tenuous).

I'm skeptical about an autofocus K-mount unit. The GXR units don't have a lot of space in them for the motors, aperture couplings and SR. They'd also have to fit a processor in there. But I do think there will be more K-mount capable mirrorless cameras from Pentax. They just aren't planning a direct follow-up to the K-01.
The RX100 is the only viewfinder-less camera that I have been able to frame on the LCD outside in bright sunlight. The LCD was on brightest setting. It was still dim and low contrast compared to using a Panasonic LX7 with it's accessory EVF.

There is no reason that the optics for the DA 70mm could not be adapted into a GXR module. It would serve to round out the GXR line by filling a major gap. I needs to be AF to offer any advantage over M Mount lenses and once you engineered such a module, it makes more sense to generalize it to a KAF mount module. If it is based upon the shutter of the M Module and uses the same or similar design sensor, we know that it will handle wide angle lenses without chromatic aberration.

A 17mm lens module would only be a 25mm equivalent. I would think this is very close to the "28mm" module which is an 18mm lens. Hardly worth it.

Now a 12mm lens would have an 18mm equivalent field of view and that would be a useful module. However, since lenses at these focal lengths are nearly pan focal, why not just use the M mount module with the Voigtlander 12mm Ultra Wide Heliar or the 15mm Super wide Heliar.

I can add a K Mount adapter to my M Module for manual focus compatibility. So the real opportunity is for Ricoh-Pentax to bring the Pentax catalog of superb DA and FA limited primes to the GXR with an autofocus module.

The GXR was designed just for this purpose.

I have a nice collection of Leica Mount lenses built around the GXR. If there is not a future for me for a new GXR body and for a module that will allow me use AF lenses in AF mode, I can easily migrate to a NEX 6.

I would prefer to keep my GXR and add Pentax DA and FA limited lenses.
10-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #138

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote

They don't plan to do it apparently :

Originally posted by Pentax:
Is there any integration between the Ricoh GXR and Pentax goals?

It is an idea that has been shuffled, but it is difficult for the same reason we mentioned before, the required distance between the sensor and the lens mount of K.
This makes no sense. The sensor / lens mount flange distance for the K mount is LONGER than the distance in the M Mount already in production for the GXR.

One can purchase K mount to M mount adapters that allow for manual focus and adds a control ring for aperture for DA lenes today.

The only issue is power/control/volume needed for the AF and aperture control motors if one was implementing a KAF module for the GXR.

The Lens Mount to Sensor distance is NOT an issue.
10-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #139
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
T

I would prefer to keep my GXR and add Pentax DA and FA limited lenses.
It's pure fantasies...

Explain me for what? Without AF - you can do it now. With AF - useless.
As for me - it's absurd wish and idea...What will you get?
Which advantages? I don't see it at all...

You will be able to make 30-40 images with such AF combo and your wish to work with such mix will end...

I can put GXR + A12 28 or 50 in the jacket pocket. And you can take any Pentax camera and use Pentax lenses...
No need any module or adapter.

10-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #140
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
T

The Lens Mount to Sensor distance is NOT an issue.
Sorry, but it's problem for Pentax even with K-01...
10-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #141
ogl
Banned

Original Poster

Fuji XE1: no Raw support due to unique sensor.

Who said to you that X-E1 had no RAW???
Fujifilm X-E1 hands-on preview: Digital Photography Review

Note that the Nex6 with a Novoflex adapter would also allow the use of Pentax DA and FA limited lenses in manual mode.

Use it and don't dream.
10-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #142

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's pure fantasies...

Explain me for what? Without AF - you can do it now. With AF - useless.
As for me - it's absurd wish and idea...What will you get?
Which advantages? I don't see it at all...

You will be able to make 30-40 images with such AF combo and your wish to work with such mix will end...

I can put GXR + A12 28 or 50 in the jacket pocket. And you can take any Pentax camera and use Pentax lenses...
No need any module or adapter.
ogl:

You are very closed minded and very hostile. Here and at DPReview Ricoh forums.

I get it. You don't want to use Pentax Prime Lenses on the GXR in Autofocus mode.

This is a Pentax forum.

I only want one camera. I like my GXR. I like it's user interface. I do not want to learn and relearn different camera interfaces. I want to use compact lenses and focus at eye level. The GXR is perfect.

Yes I can get two additional GXR modules for a 50mm equivalent and a 28mm equivalent. I happen to have those two optical fields of view covered with RF lenses.

I want to begin adding autofocus to my photography. I would like to use the FA 77mm. I can do that today with manual focus with an adapter. I need Ricoh to market a KAF module for this to on the GXR. I would be very happy if they chose to do an entire module, but with the lenses already in production, it would be easier just to market a more general AF sensor and shutter module.

If Pentax had marketed a K-01 equivalent with an EVF, integrated or add on, your option to use a second camera would be valid. The K-05 and K-30 are too big. The K-01 is bulky.

I am convinced, and you are not, that Pentax should not have issues with the sensor to flange distance. I politely disagree with you. The issue is how to package the AF motor and aperture controls.

I think you should enjoy your GXR A12 50mm f2.5. It is superb. There are two available right now at KEH and I have been thinking about one of them.

If Ricoh had announced any medium telephoto module such as one based on the FA 77mm (115mm equivalent) I probably would not be sharing my views with this forum.

But Ricoh made no announcements at Photokina.

Pentax did not announce any EVF options or new bodies with EVFs at Photokina.

Most of the PentaxForums is speculation on FF. I am much more interested in APS sensor compact cameras.

Aperture, Photoshop, and Lightroom do not have RAW support for the Fuji X series. (yet).

10-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #143

Sorry, but it's problem for Pentax even with K-01...
I am sure it is just semantics, but it is not a problem for Pentax. It is a fixed constant distance to design around. Spec a camera to use the K Mount and expect current and legacy lenses to mount, then the sensor to lens flange distance is 45.46mm. Pentax has been designing cameras with this distance for 37 years.

Pentax and Marc Newson chose how to shape the K-01. The error in the design is even with the classic pentaprism shape in the middle of the top deck, there is no EVF or a connector for an external EVF.

The simplest solution would be to add a port for a shoe mounted EVF just like Olympus did with the evolution from the Pen E-P1 to E-P2. A better solution would have been a K-02 with an integrated EVF. Neither camera has been announced or demonstrated as a concept.

If there was, I would not be contributing to this thread and would planning to acquire a K-0x and I would be collecting DA and FA Limited Primes.

Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by GXRUser; 10-10-2012 at 02:40 PM.
10-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #144
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not convinced he likes cameras. any cameras.
10-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #145

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm not convinced he likes cameras. any cameras.
Thanks!
10-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #146
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
ogl:

I get it. You don't want to use Pentax Prime Lenses on the GXR in Autofocus mode.
I'm not hostile at all. I'm realist.
I don't like when any people imposes your idée fixe on others. It's vain fantasies and nothing else...
Your posts are full of your specific dreams and you reiterate your story to us.

I understand your wishes...But it's FAR-FAR from reality.

I don't want to spoil my GXR with K-mount. And I hope we never see K-mount unit.
10-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #147
Site Supporter

I don't like when any people imposes your idée fixe on others. It's vain fantasies and nothing else...

I don't want to spoil my GXR with K-mount. And I hope we never see K-mount unit.
If you don't want a particular module, don't buy it. Perhaps other people do want one. The last thing we need is for Pentax to decide not to make anything Ogl doesn't want. They would only be making K200d bodies.
10-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #148
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well for now we got new firmware!
10-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #149

I understand very well that this is a dream. You would not spoil YOUR GXR with a K-mount if you do not buy it.

Those who wish to use KAF lenses in AF mode on the GXR would like the option.
10-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #150
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If you don't want a particular module, don't buy it. Perhaps other people do want one. The last thing we need is for Pentax to decide not to make anything Ogl doesn't want. They would only be making K200d bodies.
It's not the problem of wishes, it's techinical problem... Strange that you don't understand it...

K200D has weak points too.