Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
look at it this way

It's easy to poke fun, but this basically mirrors the impressions of many people used to a point & shoot digital camera coming to the K20D. Maybe we don't care, but if I were a camera salesperson or in marketing at Pentax, I'd definitely perk up my ears and make sure I paid attention.

02-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #17
Forum Member

DCI

(Operating under the assumption that this "review" is not intended to misinform people about the K20D) It occurred to me that it might be worth the trouble to bring certain facts about the reviewed camera to the attention of the staff at DigitalCamraInfo.com. It's always interesting when one comes across a site these days which provides no apparent means by which readers can communicate with the staff (you know, with Web 2.0 being all the rage). Despite the absence of contact info, we are made privy to this information about Emily Raymond:
Emily Raymond (Contributing Writer) worked as a news photographer and reporter for two years at The Daily Universe in Provo, Utah. She is a graduate of Brigham Young University, where she majored in print journalism while running track and cross country. Now living in Boston, Emily shoots sports photography for magazines and runs for the Greater Boston Track Club. Emily loves writing, running, and photography.
One might expect that someone who majored in Print Journalism might have learned something about the importance of accuracy in reporting. Perhaps it is unreasonable to expect that certain standards will be maintained on the lawless series of tubes that is the Interwebs.

The Daily Universe, incidentally, is the Brigham Young University school newspaper; I'm certain that information wasn't omitted to give the (false) impression that Ms. Raymond has professional journalistic experience.

Dead certain.

-XM
02-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #18

I could find no way to communicate with the reviewer either but the site does have a forum and a topic was started by someone who pointed out the errors. However, there have been no replies to the posting. I suspect that some of our vocal members who are outraged by this review may want to contribute to that topic in hopes that Emily may read it.
02-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
I could find no way to communicate with the reviewer either but the site does have a forum and a topic was started by someone who pointed out the errors. However, there have been no replies to the posting. I suspect that some of our vocal members who are outraged by this review may want to contribute to that topic in hopes that Emily may read it.

I attempted to communicate with the journalist at the site, but I to couldn't find any info in regards to how to do so. Perhaps Ned at Pentax Imaging should be informed.

Ben

02-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #20
raz

Original Poster
Ok, from what I know this site is related to camcorderinfo.com and I see the digitalcamerainfo domain is administrated from this address :

domain name:
digitalcamerainfo.com
Administrative Contact: rliss@Camcorderinfo.com
Robin Liss ()
+1.2693820220
Fax: +1.2693820220
2311 Glenwood Dr.
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
US

So maybe you should email to this address and ask them for explanations or to give you the email address of the reviewer ?
02-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by XMACHINA Quote
Emily Raymond (Contributing Writer) worked as a news photographer and reporter for two years at The Daily Universe in Provo, Utah. She is a graduate of Brigham Young University, where she majored in print journalism while running track and cross country. Now living in Boston, Emily shoots sports photography for magazines and runs for the Greater Boston Track Club. Emily loves writing, running, and photography.
Ouch, now I feel really stupid for attending there... And from what I remember, the Daily Universe wasn't excatly a stellar journalistic paper. It wasn't bad, but it was a student-produced paper.
02-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Okay guys this was just a Pentax K20D First Impressions Review. Emily was probably just distracted by sipping on her Go-gurt and text messaging her friends. Getting the facts right will come in the full review.

02-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Digitalcamerainfo.com seems to be part of a advertising revenue scheme, made of several "reviewing" websites. I bet they're run by some executive who knows sh* about cameras and hired some of the cheaper writers available (please don't be offended).
Reviewed.com Revolution - Reviewed.com - Advertisers

I think I'm not doing any good but.. oh well. A link to the reviewer's family blog:

Raymond Family Blog

Be kind, it's not all her fault
02-05-2008, 04:28 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Their press materials are supposed to be retrieved from "Reviewed.com" so that's where I went and contacted them. I also pointed them to this thread - but I doubt they will be reading it any time soon.

- Andrew
02-05-2008, 04:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I attempted to communicate with the journalist at the site, but I to couldn't find any info in regards to how to do so. Perhaps Ned at Pentax Imaging should be informed.

Ben
I sent an email to the Vice President of the company that owns digitalcamerainfo, and he emailed back that he forwarded my message to the publisher & emily. You can do the same. His email is:

cohara@reviewed.com

His name is Chris Ohara.
02-05-2008, 05:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Be nice, everyone. A rabid attack of fanboys is counterproductive. The reviewer seems to have an overall favorable impression of the camera, and is just coming to the review without the background to do it right. (The statements about the viewfinder ground glass being "grainy" are pretty funny.) So if you do say something, please say it in a way that is helpful.
02-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #27
raz

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Be nice, everyone. A rabid attack of fanboys is counterproductive. The reviewer seems to have an overall favorable impression of the camera, and is just coming to the review without the background to do it right. (The statements about the viewfinder ground glass being "grainy" are pretty funny.) So if you do say something, please say it in a way that is helpful.
is not the first time they screw a review, look what they said about the K100D:

-The K100D does have its flaws – its resolution performance is poor
- Dim, low-magnification viewfinder
- Compartment doors aren't sealed
-The Pentax K100D's kit lens is an unimpressive 18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6 optic

That is when the K100D had one of the highest resolutions among the 6mpix, the 18-55 is excellent optically compared to the competition and when the viewfinder in k100D is larger even than the Canon 30D. And compartment doors aren't sealed - why should they be ?!

The thing is when you search a review for a Pentax camera, what do you get ? You get RiceHigh super biased blog, you get digitalcamerainfo with their wrong data and so on.
02-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
Sorry if it's already been posted, I think is from 2 february

Pentax K20D First Impressions Review - Pentax DSLR
One of the most unprofessional reviews I've ever seen. I have deleted DCI from my list of Photography bookmarks, as I no longer consider this site credible.

Ted
02-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Ok, a joke, not a review.

It raised one question not addressed so far, though... Is the K20D slower than the K10D or does its LiveView feature exhibit major delay?

Probably not because nobody who already used the K20D mentioned so. I just want to make sure... Ben?
02-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by a a i b Quote
Does the aperture ring on old lenses work with the new K20D, or is this a(nother) mistake of the reviewer's?
OK, I read the K10D's manual -- the aperture ring on certain lenses works with restrictions. RTFM, as they say. I wonder if the K20D will expand on this, but no reason to think so.: