Pentax K20D First Impressions Review - Pentax DSLR

02-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
Sorry if it's already been posted, I think is from 2 february

Well, skip everything and go to the conclusion to see what Pentax is up against.

Basically, review a Pentax but tell them to buy a cheap Canon.

And while there may be shortcomings with the K20D, do you really think any of the reviewers is going to take any Pentax camera seriously when the money that keeps these people going is Canon.

Stephen
02-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Sorry if it's already been posted, I think is from 2 february

The review is full of errors and ommissions, written by a inexperienced wannabee reviewer.

A joke overall.
02-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #4

silly silly review

this review is insane, they didn't even look at high iso performance or pic. quality, coz they only handled it at the pma, further more they mentioned this:

"The old K10D has a 6.3-megapixel CCD, " ........well, enough said

lets just ignore this so called test site, i much rather read the posts of forum users experience with the exitng k20d

greetz
sven

02-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #5

I am confused from the review, especially in the Picture Quality / Size Options part where it said the K20D have 2x the resolution of K10D and said K10D has only 6.3 mega pixels. I alway thought the K10D have 10.2 mega pixels!!!
02-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Too early ,to super proCanon review>
02-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
The review is full of errors and ommissions, written by a inexperienced wannabee reviewer.

A joke overall.
Assuredly so Richard.

But this is the type of half assed nonsense that Pentax is subject to and it is rather prevelent. I mean....really.... write a review and then end it with... "buy a *cheap*Canon".
Does the writer lack any and all sense of ethics and scruples?

Stephen

02-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Did you notice one of the images of the camera being the K200D?

a very poor review indeed
02-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
raz

Original Poster
Look what this guy wrote:
The old K10D has a 6.3-megapixel CCD, so the new DLSR has more than twice the resolution and does it on a CMOS sensor

or

The Pentax K20D has a pentaprism optical viewfinder that Pentax claims has 95-percent coverage (when measured with a 50mm lens). The 95-percent accuracy is on the low end of normal DSLR viewfinders; most have between 96- and 98-percent accuracy and a few have 100-percent accuracy.

Someone should email this guy and tell him that the K10D/K20D has one of the largest viewfinders in his league, larger than Canon 40D or Sony Alpha 700 or Nikon D80. And also that the K10D is a 10 Megapixel not 6....

And if I remember correctly this is the same guy who said the viewfinder in K100D was smaller than the one in Canon 350D/400D....so you go figure how smart(or biased) this guy is.
02-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Someone should email this guy and tell him ...
It's not a guy though - Emily Raymond.

Should be nominated for "Worst Review Award" and she would win easily.
02-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That Emily chick is a fool.
02-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote

A joke overall.
Like saying the K10D has 6.3 mega pixels..LOL

Ben
02-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

more major issues with k20d

"There are so many designated buttons on this DSLR that it takes some getting used to. There are buttons for everything, and many of the buttons can be set to access different functions in the Setup and Custom menus. For instance, there are two exposure adjustment dials – one on the front of the camera and one on the back."

wow!! man, this is hopeless, pentax is going down. i was wondering why everything feels right where it hsould be with my new k10d.. uh, sorry, why i can't figure out which wheel to turn. come on, this is an obvious case of a point and shooter (compact camera user) reviewing a high end dslr.

i have tears in my eyes, it is so funny.

"but we hope to get this DSLR in our imaging lab for a more thorough evaluation of its new 14.6 megapixels."

that makes one of you.. i hope you don't. though, on the other hand, i think i would have another good laugh..

"Most high-end DSLRs still accept traditional CompactFlash media, but the Pentax K20D takes SD and SDHC cards. That media is more common in compact digital cameras, so Pentax is hoping point-and-shooters can come to the DSLR market without having to buy new memory cards."

ahaaaa! so this is how pentax was planning to make a shitload of money: sell k10d's, k20d's, and perhaps the following k1d or whatever to point and shooters who will buy a 1000euro+ dslr, but can't be bothered to spend 10 bucks on a memory card. smaaart, you definetly got their game revealed. shit, now everybody will know..

"If you’re photographing sports or other moving subjects, you won’t be able to see what you’re focusing on and if the subject is actually in the picture. We'll explore this more in our full review."

yes, do explore shooting sports and action with live view, and let us all know how it turns out, i recommend a nice powershot a550 for comparison. this is perhaps the brightest statement of them all. yyyhaaa, superbike champinoships here i come, i have _live view_, eeeh!? i am not saying the liveview on the k20d cannot be improved on, but, come on, sports..

and after, comes the conclusion: the new, cheap, rebel xsi. yeah, way to go! i mean, okay, i understand you get your goodies from canon, so this is how it has to end, but you can at least say 40d, and avoid making a complete ass of yourself. i would, however, have fully understood and sympathized with the reviewer(ette) if the conclusion would have been "just buy a superzoom instead. you get a nice 12x zoom, all the lens you'll ever need, excelent liveview, a nice bright electronic viewfinder, which is _excelent_ for sports shooting, and will never need to buy lenses, ever! oh, and the sensor is certainly better than a sensor we know nothing about yet, right? or at least close, how much different can it be, really.."

i must say, this was the joke of the day (and i did have an especially "funny" day). top prize for review humor! thank you raz!

(sorry, benjikan had nothing to do with it )

Last edited by nanok; 02-04-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: wrong name mentioned
02-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the reviewer:
Aperture
The available aperture depends upon the affixed lens, of course, but it can be controlled by one of the two adjustment dials on the camera. If the lens comes with an aperture ring, the camera can also sync with that.
Does the aperture ring on old lenses work with the new K20D, or is this a(nother) mistake of the reviewer's?
02-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

it does, if you mean in the sense it works on both the k100d and k10d (that is, with stop-down metering, as the camera has no way to know the aperture set on the lens, having a kaf2 "cripled" mount). anyway, don't take anything you read there seriously, it is just a cartoon..