Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Indeed. He was only ever relevant to North America anyhow.

I'm more interested in what Clem Kennedy of our local [Australian] Pentax distributor CR Kennedy has to say . His family company is the first and oldest distributor in the world for Pentax. But Clem never talks.
Only in the sense he blogged about some of his Pentax lenses etc. (and his Leica).

10-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #32
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VladimirYo Quote
Take it easy! ))
You are nervous on every forum last 2 days )
You are no good psychologist. I'm calm like an elephant
10-02-2012, 09:54 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
you guys missed the whole point

am i the only one who noticed that Ed kept 3 full frame lenses?
surely he is wise to at least the next 3 yrs worth of product plans from Pentax.

no way he could give up his FA lenses... He is trying to send you a message without being obvious...

YMMV
10-02-2012, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Ricoh is a huge multi-national organisation with lots of investment and management power and I assure you they would not purchase a company if they thought it was not going to continue to profit let alone have financial growth. The Pentax brand is safe for the time being.

As for all the whiners complaining there is no FF yet, surely we can all see that the imperfections (auto focus etc) that are present in the K-5 would be inherented into any new camera design and would likely cost the company and reflect badly on their image. I applaud the new K-5 II and K-5 IIs, despite not being as ground breaking as some would expected, for tackling some of the issues with previous bodies and eagerly await the reviews and possibly the chance to buy one. The improved features will also strengthen and improve any new camera models released by Pentax, including the long awaited FF.
My 2 cents.

Lewis

10-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #35
ogl
Pentaxian

Ricoh is huge multi-national organisation in terms of office equipment. As photo brand is marginal company like Pentax.
10-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Canon make printers and photocopiers, and Nikon is part of the Mitsubishi group. What is your point?
10-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Canon make printers and photocopiers, and Nikon is part of the Mitsubishi group. What is your point?
It means capital and corporate expectations that were only available to Canon and Nikon come into play for Pentax.
10-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #38
Pentaxian

In that line of thought... I wonder when we'll see some good photo-printers from Ricoh. They currently don't manufacture those, but with the addition of Pentax...

10-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suspect Ricoh will emulate Subaru as a long term brand strategy, first attempting to attract young users by being different, rugged, outdoorsy, eco-conscious (the Subaru Layfayette, IN plant is a Wildlife Preservation Area and a zero-landfill manufacturing facility). At first a Pentax camera will be weird, rugged, geeky, not for typical Yuppie American disposable income people, over-engineered, marketed word-of-mouth. Like a Subaru, there will be apparent faults and criticisms (comfort, ride, quirky user interface) that won't matter to geeky buyers (they're actually a badge of honor). Over time, as volume rises, these faults will gradually be improved upon while the essential character of the product (boxer engine, AWD, styling cues, ad-line) are retained and developed.

If done correctly PRICL CAN rejuvenate Pentax - but it is a long-term project (20 years), not a quick fix, all is well thing.

Contrary to the postings on "Home-Market" centrism, I still say a company does not assign Americas to the Global President and send his hand-picked operating wizard to fix things unless North America is a viital part of the repair strategy.

P.S. Driving my third Subaru (2004 Outback SE 6) and see no reason to change it. Dring my fourth bought-new Pentax (Black K-01, and probably the twentieth ever bought) and see no reason to change it, either.
I have heard this Subaru reference before by someone I follow on G+... So true...
10-02-2012, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Ricoh probably bought Pentax as a loss leader. They must be amused at our expectations and possibly bemused by the thought that we actually think they are going to put out a FF camera.
10-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Ricoh probably bought Pentax as a loss leader. They must be amused at our expectations and possibly bemused by the thought that we actually think they are going to put out a FF camera.
I don't see how cheap Pentax products would stimulate the sale of other Ricoh products. (That's what a loss leader does.) It would only stimulate the sale of other, higher end Pentax products or lenses. So it would in fact be a good thing, as it would imply that higher end products are on its way.
10-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffP3456 Quote
am i the only one who noticed that Ed kept 3 full frame lenses?
surely he is wise to at least the next 3 yrs worth of product plans from Pentax.

no way he could give up his FA lenses... He is trying to send you a message without being obvious...

YMMV
In Post number 20 they were mentioned .
10-03-2012, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
Perhaps there should be a site exclusively for full frame whiners.
Not to mention members whining about other members wanting a competitive Pentax camera model.
10-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Funny, of all the people who come on here championing other brands, I've not seen one post about other brands, specifically Nikon or Canon, but any brand, complaining that the Pentax is already the best APS-c camera on the market, but is about to significantly increase it's lead with the release of the K-5 II and K-5 IIs. I guess since this is a Penatax site it's specifically geared towards whining about Pentax, even in the non-Pentax section. I read on another forum about a guy who has already returned his Nikon D800 camera for service 3 times under warranty and it still isn't fixed and Nikon has made no offer to replace it. No mention of that here. Every camera owner who doesn't have a K-5 should be whining that their camera company doesn't have the DR, noise reduction or low light performance, or image depth of a K-5. I'm not seeing it. Makes you wonder, what kind of person comes to a Pentax site, just to whine about Pentaxes.

There is of course only one answer to that...

An attention seeker. Hey, I'm just giving them what they want.
10-03-2012, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Funny, of all the people who come on here championing other brands, I've not seen one post about other brands, specifically Nikon or Canon, but any brand, complaining that the Pentax is already the best APS-c camera on the market, but is about to significantly increase it's lead with the release of the K-5 II and K-5 IIs. I guess since this is a Penatax site it's specifically geared towards whining about Pentax, even in the non-Pentax section. I read on another forum about a guy who has already returned his Nikon D800 camera for service 3 times under warranty and it still isn't fixed and Nikon has made no offer to replace it. No mention of that here. Every camera owner who doesn't have a K-5 should be whining that their camera company doesn't have the DR, noise reduction or low light performance, or image depth of a K-5. I'm not seeing it. Makes you wonder, what kind of person comes to a Pentax site, just to whine about Pentaxes.
you want people here discussing issues with their Nikon?

look, i love my K-5 too, but I realize exactly what it is, because i had also bought a K-7 (such a bad move, blindly trusting Pentax after the K20D...never again). those image attributes you describe are Sony's innovation not Pentax's, and other brands have this exact same sensor as well, in fact tons of other cameras have this sensor. if you're going to hang your argument on 1-2 undetectable DxOMark points that are within the margin of testing error then by all means, keep holding on tight. you only have until the competition refresh their APS-C line early next year, with Sony's even newer sensor. then what?

do we applaud Pentax's implementation of that sensor and camera ergonomics? yes, which is why we're here asking for Pentax's take on FF. trust me, the people who need FF above all else have already left the brand or are in the process.

Last edited by illdefined; 10-03-2012 at 09:59 AM.