Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ned Bunnell: " I assure you Ricoh has clear plans to revitalize the Pentax brand"

First retirement post on his blog:

36th Frame - Ned's Photo Journal

(title quote from the comments section)

10-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welll.... good? It hasn't been 'vitalized' yet...
10-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Well... only one day had passed since Ned's post.
10-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sounds like he is admitting that Pentax isn't doing so hot at the moment. I am sure he can assure anything at this point. Having plans doesn't exactly ensure revitalization either. Lame.

10-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
The General Motors Saturn division had a plan too, and look where that got them without the same ability (or lack thereof); that Pentax is currently facing
10-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
They seem to be going in the right direction with the 645D (medium format system) by having it weather resistant. There's plenty of Hasselblad and Phase One users who do landscapes and deploy the additional gear protection like rain covers/bags and umbrellas. Whether that will make a difference in the user base, it's hard to tell, but if the Pro Services division lacks luster like every other department, I don't see many Professionals looking towards Pentax for any format.
10-02-2012, 10:40 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect Ricoh will emulate Subaru as a long term brand strategy, first attempting to attract young users by being different, rugged, outdoorsy, eco-conscious (the Subaru Layfayette, IN plant is a Wildlife Preservation Area and a zero-landfill manufacturing facility). At first a Pentax camera will be weird, rugged, geeky, not for typical Yuppie American disposable income people, over-engineered, marketed word-of-mouth. Like a Subaru, there will be apparent faults and criticisms (comfort, ride, quirky user interface) that won't matter to geeky buyers (they're actually a badge of honor). Over time, as volume rises, these faults will gradually be improved upon while the essential character of the product (boxer engine, AWD, styling cues, ad-line) are retained and developed.

If done correctly PRICL CAN rejuvenate Pentax - but it is a long-term project (20 years), not a quick fix, all is well thing.

Contrary to the postings on "Home-Market" centrism, I still say a company does not assign Americas to the Global President and send his hand-picked operating wizard to fix things unless North America is a viital part of the repair strategy.

P.S. Driving my third Subaru (2004 Outback SE 6) and see no reason to change it. Driving my fourth bought-new Pentax (Black K-01, and probably the twentieth ever bought) and see no reason to change it, either.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-03-2012 at 10:27 AM.
10-02-2012, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Contrary to the postings on "Home-Market" centrism, I still say a company does not assign Americas to the Global President and send his hand-picked operating wizard to fix things unless North America is a viital part of the repair strategy.
I suspect you're referring to my post. Q and K-01 were both products that absolutely nobody anywhere asked for and unless I'm mistaken they really havn't set the world on fire. Unless someone can point me to otherwise, it would seem fairly sensible to assume they were specced by some internal employee or team. Perhaps that employee and team doesn't know what it's doing and he/she/it should do some better research, like talking and listening to actual users.
10-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I suspect you're referring to my post. Q and K-01 were both products that absolutely nobody anywhere asked for and unless I'm mistaken they really havn't set the world on fire. Unless someone can point me to otherwise, it would seem fairly sensible to assume they were specced by some internal employee or team. Perhaps that employee and team doesn't know what it's doing and he/she/it should do some better research, like talking and listening to actual users.
This forum was riddled, IIRC, with posts asking Pentax for a K-mount mirrorless body. And they got one.

Now, if you were to ask me if the specs appealed to my preferences and wallet, the answer is "no". For me, there's no advantage. But the comment about nobody anywhere asking for a K-01 type body is mistaken.

As an aside, I would be cautious if I were doing product management/development at Pentax. I have a deeply-held belief that the first FF body from Pentax will be greeted with weeping and gnashing of teeth (on this Forum). Brickbats will fly. It may well be another body that "absolutely nobody anywhere (on this Forum) asked for ...". But I hope I'm dead wrong .....
10-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
First retirement post on his blog:

36th Frame - Ned's Photo Journal

(title quote from the comments section)
Ricoh has plan...But it doesn't mean that this plan and our wishes are the same things...Don't you think so?
10-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #11

Take it easy! ))
You are nervous on every forum last 2 days )
10-02-2012, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Hmm, I don't remember a multitude of posts asking for a K-mount mirrorless body with no viewfinder
10-02-2012, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I get the sense that a fair number of forum members won't be satisfied until Noboru Akahane personally forges God's Own FF Camera from lightning, earth, and John Carson's bones.
10-02-2012, 01:27 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I, for one, am so sick of hearing people whine on and on (and on) about full frame. Perhaps there should be a site exclusively for full frame whiners.
10-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
I, for one, am so sick of hearing people whine on and on (and on) about full frame. Perhaps there should be a site exclusively for full frame whiners.
You mean in the same way how we send lepers to secluded islands?