Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #76
Veteran Member

My offhand guess is that Ricoh will eventually push Pentax into the professional space with a full support network that basically extends Ricoh's existing support network for office equipment. (I'm not a pro photographer, but I've hung around this forum and others for long enough to know that professionals need a support ecosystem, not just a line of FF bodies and lenses.)

10-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, that by itself already is a good reason enough to stick around to see what Pentax Ricoh Imaging will deliver next.

I seriously dislike the idea of lensors though. (Like in the GXR.) Glass is forever, cameras get replaced every 2 years, mostly because of new sensors. Not being able to change the sensor would seriously suck.
the true genius of the GXR is the idea of interchangeable mounts.

I agree tying a lens to a sensor forever sounds bad, but in some instances it makes sense as a system, like carrying a high-zoom compact, and a specialized APS-C pocket prime at the same time with the same controls/body. obviously the prospect of having an M-mount or a K-mount and their respective lenses is a uniquely flexible one. at this point it's reverse, replacing the sensor/mount module every 2 years would be much cheaper than buying entirely new camera bodies...

Last edited by illdefined; 10-04-2012 at 12:05 PM.
10-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #78
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, that by itself already is a good reason enough to stick around to see what Pentax Ricoh Imaging will deliver next.

I seriously dislike the idea of lensors though. (Like in the GXR.) Glass is forever, cameras get replaced every 2 years, mostly because of new sensors. Not being able to change the sensor would seriously suck.
a K-mount module would help with that.
10-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
the true genius of the GXR is the idea of interchangeable mounts. I agree tying a lens to a sensor forever sounds bad, but in some instances it makes sense as a system, like carrying a high-zoom compact, and a specialized APS-C pocket prime at the same time with the same controls/body. obviously the prospect of having an M-mount or a K-mount and their respective lenses is a uniquely flexible one. at that point, replacing the sensor/mount module every 2 years would be much cheaper than buying entirely new camera bodies.
If it were just mounts and you could use lenses from other series it might be a solid option.

10-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If it were just mounts and you could use lenses from other series it might be a solid option.
even if it was only K-Mount (other brands won't be giving Pentax/Ricoh their propietary mounts, M-mount is practically public domain), imagine how much money we could've saved buying new sensor/mounts instead of doing this ridiculous K-7 -> K-5 -> K-5IIs dance...it's the same camera
10-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
instead of doing this ridiculous K-7 -> K-5 -> K-5IIs dance...it's the same camera
Speak for yourself! My wallet has considerably more restraint....
10-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #82
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Speak for yourself! My wallet has considerably more restraint....
So does mine because there isn't much money in it.

10-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

even if it was only K-Mount (other brands won't be giving Pentax/Ricoh their propietary mounts, M-mount is practically public domain), imagine how much money we could've saved buying new sensor/mounts instead of doing this ridiculous K-7 -> K-5 -> K-5IIs dance...it's the same camera
But, I assure you that Pentax had a plan.

By adding minor upgrades without incurring costs, they knew that devoted Pentaxians will sink more and more money in camera bodies that were about to be obsolete shortly after purchase.

THey also had a plan with 645D line up. When the body initially came out, the lens line up was scant (it still is lol), and then they came out with 2 lenses that cost more than your kidneys. But they knew devoted Pentaxians will get suckered into this scheme.

What a great plan.
10-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Should we talk again, let's say at the end of Q2 2013, and check how much of the plan you were able to figure out?
10-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
In Japan. The rest world has no any interests.

Wouldn't be that quick to judge. I've seen a few Q's here in Edmonton, actually I've seen more Q's this summer than Pentax DSLRs as a whole, so that's a neat plus. I've also witnessed one guy trade his Nex-5N kit for a complete Q kit. He walked out with all 5 lenses and body, thought that was pretty bloody cool.

Q's an amazing camera. North Americans are just too snobby to get past the small sensor. Just need to try it to figure it out.
10-04-2012, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Should we talk again, let's say at the end of Q2 2013, and check how much of the plan you were able to figure out?
Well, I decided to get suckered into Sony's plan. I plan to pre order RX-1.
10-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #87
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Wouldn't be that quick to judge. I've seen a few Q's here in Edmonton, actually I've seen more Q's this summer than Pentax DSLRs as a whole, so that's a neat plus. I've also witnessed one guy trade his Nex-5N kit for a complete Q kit. He walked out with all 5 lenses and body, thought that was pretty bloody cool.

Q's an amazing camera. North Americans are just too snobby to get past the small sensor. Just need to try it to figure it out.
The percent of sales are very high in Japan and very low in the rest part of our world.
10-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

I've noticed quite a strong Canadian contingent on this forum. Pentax must be doing a better job there than in the U.S.

Never see Pentax here in NYC, I've seen some at the airport, invariably French tourists. Seeing a Q in the wild would be like seeing a leprechaun.
10-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Just one old pentaxian's opinion and from one not in the camera business. I think you need a line of DSLRs that run the fun width of the of the market to win. You need a budget entry level, mid-point and high end model. Then for the purists amongts us you probably need a full frame model. The smart company would make darn sure that the quality lenses they sold worked all across the spectrum even if they had to go mirror less to make that happen.

I doubt that exchangeable sensors is going to happen because they do need to sell you a new model every few years. Planned obsolescence is a part of a consumer based economy.

For the technophiles amongst you, Would it be possible for the k mount to be utilized on a full frame mirrorless design?

Last edited by Colbyt; 10-06-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: add full frame to last line
10-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #90
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Just one old pentaxian's opinion and from one not in the camera business. I think you need a line of DSLRs that run the fun width of the of the market to win. You need a budget entry level, mid-point and high end model. Then for the purists amongts us you probably need a full frame model. The smart company would make darn sure that the quality lenses they sold worked all across the spectrum even if they had to go mirror less to make that happen.

I doubt that exchangeable sensors is going to happen because they do need to sell you a new model every few years. Planned obsolescence is a part of a consumer based economy.

For the technophiles amongst you, Would it be possible for the k mount to be utilized on a mirrorless design?
They did it on the K-01!