10-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
'Pax Fullframus'

That's great Rob. I sputtered my cuppa.
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I cracked up too. Thanks, Rob.
Too kind, too kind. Thank you - you've been a great audience.

We have been rather much in danger of taking this whole thing a bit too seriously. I like my gear as much as the next person, but we're not going to save humanity by full-frontal assaults on each other over it (not that anyone reading this is guilty of it).

10-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #47

I'm eyeing off that picture of the goat. In particular I am noticing that the bokeh is a little jittery and not as creamy as I would expect from the DA* 60-250. Does a lack of AA mean that we are going to have to have reduced phat bokeh?
10-03-2012, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote
Does a lack of AA mean that we are going to have to have reduced phat bokeh?
in short, no.
10-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roba_oz Quote
interesting concept, though. "pax fullframus": The peace brought about by having the ff sensor drive out all the competition. Maybe the romans were onto something, after all.
rotfl

10-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder why some other recent cameras slipped into the market without the AA filter we are so fired up about. The Fuji X-Pro1 and its 16MB sensor is only a few months old but I have not seen much of the gnashing of teeth as we have here about the K-5 IIs. Fuji claimed they prevent moire with a modified bayer filter that sounded simple enough for any manufacturer to replicate...patents allowing of course. We must really be starved for some new best-in-class gear in Pentax land.
10-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I wonder why some other recent cameras slipped into the market without the AA filter we are so fired up about. The Fuji X-Pro1 and its 16MB sensor is only a few months old but I have not seen much of the gnashing of teeth as we have here about the K-5 IIs. Fuji claimed they prevent moire with a modified bayer filter that sounded simple enough for any manufacturer to replicate...patents allowing of course. We must really be starved for some new best-in-class gear in Pentax land.
Definitely starved. losing the AA filter over 36mp is much different than 16mp, there's significantly more brute force resolution there to mitigate moire.

Nothing simple at all about Fuji's ditching the Bayer pattern though, they're still trying to teach Adobe how to decipher it. still, it's an ambitious attempt at true innovation, with apparently awesome results when processed correctly.
10-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #52
Forum Member

I don't understand why every photo samples from new released cameras always look bad. Look like more of engineer shots than of pro photog shots.
10-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Definitely starved. losing the AA filter over 36mp is much different than 16mp, there's significantly more brute force resolution there to mitigate moire.

Nothing simple at all about Fuji's ditching the Bayer pattern though, they're still trying to teach Adobe how to decipher it. still, it's an ambitious attempt at true innovation, with apparently awesome results when processed correctly.
The same pixel pitch though.

10-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #54

Adam said that Pentax promised him some pictures fromt he two cameras. These photos are not them according to Adam. So hopefully soon we will get some side by side photos to compare. Both cameras look great and very promising. As mentioned, the k-30 takes some unbeleivable pictures with very high resolution. Would be nice to have a side by side by side comparison.

Racerdew
10-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #55
ogl
Pentaxian

I don't see any difference at official JPEG photos...
10-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The same pixel pitch though.
true, but so many more of them. at any given print size there will be that much more information to interpolate from and get less pattern errors.
10-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tohax Quote
I don't understand why every photo samples from new released cameras always look bad. Look like more of engineer shots than of pro photog shots.
If the photos were studio shots, people would complain that they were too staged, too controlled, not typical of normal usage of the camera, and therefore not a useful guide to consumers. Etc.

Camera makers can't win, really.

These samples are at least pretty well shot straight-out-of-camera JPEG's (using 'Landscape' scene mode to boot in one of them I think!) that indicate what an average user with access to good lenses might be able to see when they shoot with the camera. That's good enough.

Ideally, alongside the JPG they should have included the PEF/DNG. But no doubt others will be doing their own comparisons soon that will include PEF/DNG's.
10-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #58

K5 Upgrade?

I currently own 2 K5s. Looking at the images in the K5ii, I would see no need in a $400 upgrade, but the K5iis is very impressive to me. That increase in image quality, plus the much improved autofocus is a very tempting $500 upgrade. One at a time though. I probably won't need to upgrade both camera bodies. I'm still extremely happy with the K5.
10-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by jtb04a Quote
That increase in image quality, plus the much improved autofocus is a very tempting $500 upgrade
Isn't it a $1300 upgrade for you? yes you have the k-5's but the new 2s is 1300. Will you get an $800 trade in on your k-5?
You are right, it is a lot of money. I have a K-r so the upgrade (1300) to get the k-5 IIs is probably worth the difference. But if I were you and I had a k-5 that is great, I might wait six months and see what they have in March or April. They might have the 24 MP sensor from Sony by that time and you would time it just right and all those with the k-5 IIs will be crying to get that one. You know Pentax is going to get there hands on that sensor after Sony has it's big splash!

Racerdew
10-04-2012, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #60

These shots actually don't prove very much. I find my quite ordinary shots from the K-5 , shot in RAW and developed in ACR are just as sharp as the IIs and actually look better when blown up past 100%. Here we have so much in-camera sharpening that it destroys the supposed evidence. I would have hoped for some DNG:s to look at, or at least JPGs with no or minimal sharpening.
Actually I can easily see some portraits of mine beat the goat in sharpness straight out of camera. I will not put them up for comparison though, one subject might object.