Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
Isn't it a $1300 upgrade for you? yes you have the k-5's but the new 2s is 1300. Will you get an $800 trade in on your k-5?
You are right, it is a lot of money. I have a K-r so the upgrade (1300) to get the k-5 IIs is probably worth the difference. But if I were you and I had a k-5 that is great, I might wait six months and see what they have in March or April. They might have the 24 MP sensor from Sony by that time and you would time it just right and all those with the k-5 IIs will be crying to get that one. You know Pentax is going to get there hands on that sensor after Sony has it's big splash!

Racerdew
Perhaps he's being very much conservative and saying $800 for the both of them. I'm not sure.

But once the camera is officially out in people's hands I'm sure we'll hear an awful lot about the K-5 vs. K-5 II.

10-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #62

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hear ya!
10-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #63

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
...They might have the 24 MP sensor from Sony by that time...
Is it 50% - 70% - 100% rumor?
10-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Why does anyone need a D600 now?
Low DOF
Wide primes faster than 2.0
*possibly* low light work
Superior AF

For the sample shots, no need whatsoever.

10-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Low DOF
Wide primes faster than 2.0
*possibly* low light work
Superior AF

For the sample shots, no need whatsoever.
There are cons, too:
High cost
Big size
I mean really high cost
And really big size

Often people on here overlook the cons and just observe the pros, we need to keep some perspective on these things.
10-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
There are cons, too:
High cost
Big size
I mean really high cost
And really big size

Often people on here overlook the cons and just observe the pros, we need to keep some perspective on these things.
True, at least somewhat. The D600 is seriously not that big. Far smaller than any other FF DSLR and, as I mentioned on another thread, even smaller & lighter than my old Olympus 4/3rds E-3. Considering the E-3 was $1600-ish when released, as was the K-5, the D600 at $2k is not really what I would consider "high cost." Everything you said applies to all the other FF DSLRs out there, but the D600 has certainly broken from that mold.

As to the lenses, the 4/3rds ones I just sold are larger and heavier than the lenses I now have for the D600. Sure, they aren't the f/2.8 variety, but I have a couple of primes on the way to cover that need. I unfortunately have no experience with Pentax & can't say if anything is larger, smaller, heavier or lighter.
10-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NVSteve Quote
The D600 is seriously not that big.
True. It's not. Given that it has a larger sensor it is naturally a larger camera. But it's light compared to the past and, really, does the little larger size mean a whole lot in the end? I mean neither camera will fit in your pocket. So it's either hanging around your neck or in a camera bag neither of which a small percent size change adds up to Jack. It's the heavy zooms that are an issue for compactness and light weight.

10-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
True. It's not. Given that it has a larger sensor it is naturally a larger camera. But it's light compared to the past and, really, does the little larger size mean a whole lot in the end? I mean neither camera will fit in your pocket. So it's either hanging around your neck or in a camera bag neither of which a small percent size change adds up to Jack. It's the heavy zooms that are an issue for compactness and light weight.
Full frame f/4 zooms are a little bit faster, and are usually a little bit lighter and a little bit cheaper than APS-C f/2.8 zooms.
10-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
If that is characteristic of the extent of moire, it's not much problem.
True.

Would be nice to see feathers and some people photos of a groom in a tux with pin stripes.

@Buschmaster - the question I answered was why some might need the FF. So I didn't specifically call out the cons, of course there are some - as with any camera choice. Even with a smaller body full frame such as the D600, you're still using the larger lenses. Pentax FF would have some advantage, the primes are smaller, if a bit slower in some cases.
10-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
True.

Would be nice to see feathers and some people photos of a groom in a tux with pin stripes.

@Buschmaster - the question I answered was why some might need the FF. So I didn't specifically call out the cons, of course there are some - as with any camera choice. Even with a smaller body full frame such as the D600, you're still using the larger lenses. Pentax FF would have some advantage, the primes are smaller, if a bit slower in some cases.
It had less to do with your particular post and more to do with the forum's demeanor as a whole.
10-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Full frame f/4 zooms are a little bit faster, and are usually a little bit lighter and a little bit cheaper than APS-C f/2.8 zooms.
I don't think I'd want to put any of the non-pro zooms on a D600. The tested ones I've seen on slrgear.com seem to defeat the purpose of getting a FF. My approach is one of their pro zoom for times when it doesn't matter how big the gear is. It's performance for an occasion when you are out to get the shot.

For times when I'm just taking the camera along and maybe get some pictures, the D AF-S primes are both sharper and more compact than those non-pro zooms. Most used ones are reasonable. The D600 automatically removes some CA for the more problematic ones giving them some new life on this camera. But of course you need to put up with not having all the modern conveniences of the G lenses.

Last edited by tuco; 10-16-2012 at 09:11 PM.
10-17-2012, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: [deleted]
10-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I don't think I'd want to put any of the non-pro zooms on a D600. The tested ones I've seen on slrgear.com seem to defeat the purpose of getting a FF.
A lot of people are happy with only-slightly-improved DOF control, and don't want any less DOF than possible with FF and f/4. When you're outside (anywhere approaching decent light) those people can still enjoy the 1.5x better resolution of FF using an f/4 zoom. So there certainly is a very important purpose - it's much more effective (resolution) to purchase a FF and cheaper glass than it is to purchase APS-C and the best possible glass.

Not saying you fit into that category - I know I don't.
10-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Now I want to go to Banf... I hate those guys.... someone give me a camera and send me to Banf.... there are stores in Banf where they speak only Japaneese, no English, and those snacks they had in there, oh lordy...... it's kind of like it's part of Japan. OK, so one or two little storefronts are like they are part of Japan. The truth is so much more interesting with a little embellishment. Hey Ron, I'd take those pictures with that camera, OK so I'd probably delete them after first viewing, but I might take them.
10-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, couple guys at my photo studies are using 5Dmk2, which is fine of course.
Most put lenses on it such as a the L 24-105/4, again, nice combo IMO.
But the Canon 50/1.8... really... it feels wasted (the body).
Better than nothing, I know but... what's the point of getting an FF Canon to put a very noisy (all my Pentax screwdriven lenses make less noise) lens (and I heard questionable optical quality, but never tested) such as this one?