Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2012, 03:49 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Google translation of this contains the words "I think" and "probably". Too little for me to go to panic mode.

I have no reason to believe that rumours about a K-3 (24MP APS-C sensor) release in March 2013 are not based on real information.
- and are we sure this is not taken out of context? (i.e. what if K-mount should be understood as FF K-mount here?)

10-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Agreed, I do want affordable scanner. V700 is too pricey and even then, it's not good enough for 24x36.
Well, i use a Canon Canoscan 9000F (cost the same price as V600 - 180$), i did some digital prints from a Color neg - Fuji Superia 200, not the best film here, but among the cheapest in Europe - and did some prints in 13*19 cm and 18*27cm.
Prints were clean and the result very good, even when inspecting closely with the nose touching the picture

i did scan neg @4800dpi and printed them @305. I could probably go bigger i guess, either in scanning size 9600dpi or in printing size.

Anyway i suggest you to try one if you can, you can have very good surprise
10-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Well, i use a Canon Canoscan 9000F (cost the same price as V600 - 180$), i did some digital prints from a Color neg - Fuji Superia 200, not the best film here, but among the cheapest in Europe - and did some prints in 13*19 cm and 18*27cm.
Prints were clean and the result very good, even when inspecting closely with the nose touching the picture

i did scan neg @4800dpi and printed them @305. I could probably go bigger i guess, either in scanning size 9600dpi or in printing size.

Anyway i suggest you to try one if you can, you can have very good surprise
Mmm second time this scanner is described in such a way.
I shall try one if I can secure one at a good price.
Thanks for the tip.
10-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #139
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I have no clue what he's saying; but, I will panic anyway
Hmm... you know Japanese, so it shouldn't be a translation error, e.g. "for a year" instead of "for this year". Then, he's wrong - probably
"for a year from this point on" instead of "for this year"
As he is not so confident but shares his personal feeling or assumption, I have chosen the word "feels" (or could be "think")...

10-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #140
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leonsroar Quote
"for a year from this point on" instead of "for this year"
As he is not so confident but shares his personal feeling or assumption, I have chosen the word "feels" (or could be "think")...
But is it obvious from the context that he's talking about any K-mount camera and not only FF K-mount?
10-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Lensroar: then, he's wrong, utterly wrong. But that's just my feeling, i.e. what I think
10-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #142
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
But is it obvious from the context that he's talking about any K-mount camera and not only FF K-mount?
He's talking about "K-Mount" instead of "FF K-Mount". In this context, it seems to mean "any" K-Mounts...
10-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #143
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Lensroar: then, he's wrong, utterly wrong. But that's just my feeling, i.e. what I think
I'm also hoping he's wrong as you feel.

10-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #144
Pentaxian

Don't worry! I have a feeling my feeling is right
10-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #145
Pentaxian

C'Mon Kunzite', spill the beans!
11-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #146
Forum Member

Interesting interview. My reading of what he's saying is this:

- Compact camera's are history as phones have eaten the market.
- APS-C will move to being the entry level, with compact cameras and a Q-mount compact system line-up. (So no K-mount mirror-less follow-up to K-01)
- Pentax don't want to concurrently offer a budget APS-C and pro FF DSLR lineup as they've gone down a bit of a dead end making APS-C only lenses and don't have the capacity to also produce FF lenses without bankrupting themselves.
- Instead they will delay the launch of a FF (design and feature set very much to be decided but tech specs probably pretty much known) until they are ready to phase out APS-C DSLRs, bringing in a new range of lenses to match.

Last edited by blacknosugar; 11-03-2012 at 12:49 AM.
11-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #147
Pentaxian

Ready to phase out APS-C DSLRs? Why? Them, and the so-called "full frame" definitely can coexist.
And a Pentax "full frame" doesn't have to be pro... think D800 level, not D4.
11-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #148
Pentaxian

And except for a couple kit lenses, an APS camera wouldn't need anything but FF lenses.
Add WA zooms, 1 or two specialized lenses and done.
11-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blacknosugar Quote
Interesting interview. My reading of what he's saying is this:

- Compact camera's are history as phones have eaten the market.
- APS-C will move to being the entry level, with compact cameras and a Q-mount compact system line-up. (So no K-mount mirror-less follow-up to K-01)
- Pentax don't want to concurrently offer a budget APS-C and pro FF DSLR lineup as they've gone down a bit of a dead end making APS-C only lenses and don't have the capacity to also produce FF lenses without bankrupting themselves.
- Instead they will delay the launch of a FF (design and feature set very much to be decided but tech specs probably pretty much known) until they are ready to phase out APS-C DSLRs, bringing in a new range of lenses to match.
Lol, phasing out APS-C DSLRs would mean phasing out about 99 per cent of their present customers, allowing for a few who have a 645D or still use film. And given the present high cost and patchy availability of Pentax lenses, the 99 per cent who are phased out would likely find it more cost-effective to jump ship to another brand than buy new Pentax gear all over again. This at a time when the trend is towards smaller cameras with bigger sensors and away from the FF behemoth gear which requires the physique of a shot-putter to shift around. I'd guess this translation is either not at all what was meant or Pentax have suicide embedded in their DNA. I can see the mirror-box DSLR being phased out in favour of new form factors - and this is already happening with the NEX, for example - but not the APS-C sensor itself for many years. It's simply too good, too cost-effective to manufacture and sell, and has too huge a userbase now. I guess FF sensors might get there one day but no one seems to have any timeframe in mind, even a vague one. It's easy to get caught up in FF but the way Nikon have been lowering the price on their new FF cams where I live suggests they aren't flying off the shelves and that's before you get into some worrying QC issues with their internals which (thankfully) Pentax hasn't had and which are pretty inexcusable on cameras costing 2-3K bucks. The vast majority of buyers just don't want an FF cam at any price, I reckon - far too big and unwieldy, far too complicated and always expensive to boot.
11-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #150
Forum Member

"Trend towards smaller cameras with bigger sensors."
Like a small bodied FF SLR?

If the D800 is now within reach of the prosumer end of the market, next year or so there will be a mid-range FF and so on.
In the face of this competition, when FF is affordable, who would want to buy an APSC?