Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, that caught my attention as well as "Meantime, we have been developing another technology for even better IQ which has different approach than w/o AA. We are planning to enhance our originality from a new perspective."

Thanks for the translation.

10-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
So, it's really coming
I think nearly everyone probably agrees that the end of the world is also coming.

However, there are still some open questions as to WHEN and HOW.

10-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So, there's going to be a Pentax FF. I'm telling myself I'm not interested, but...
10-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome. FF development confirmed for long term strategy. Thanks for taking the time to translate this.

I also like what they said about AA filters (or the future lack thereof).

10-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leonsroar Quote
Sorry I just posted another thread without knowing this...
And your translation is appreciated! Here's his thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/201595-interview-mr-kitazawa-gm-r-d-pentax-jp.html
10-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are we sure the guy they interviewed works for Pentax? He seems to understand exactly what is going on in the consumer market place and suggests Pentax has a good strategy to adapt to it. This can't be the Pentax I know and love!

Thank you for the translation, leonsroar.
10-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Are we sure the guy they interviewed works for Pentax? He seems to understand exactly what is going on in the consumer market place and suggests Pentax has a good strategy to adapt to it. This can't be the Pentax I know and love!

Thank you for the translation, leonsroar.
Agreed, this guy seems to really understand what's going on, and he was willing to share it. Good job Pentax!

10-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This was an excellent interview, and a real pleasure to read. Some of his answers were disappointing, but at least they were actual answers that contained somewhat specific information.

Other than the fact that we won't see FF until after 2013, the thing I was disappointed by most was when he said FF would have to have "enhanced shooting capabilities." That makes the outlook sound bleak for the digital K1000 some of us have been hoping for. Still, it's really great to see Pentax acknowledge their customers and communicate in this way.
10-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you very much for the translation. For me it was a wonderful interview to read. This was a very refreshing view into Pentax that I have not seen previously. It will be interesting to see how they solve their dual problem of the FF body and the supporting lens issue. I wish that they would take their best and most popular K, A, F, FA designs for the appropriate focal lengths, make the needed updates for digital and re-issue the classics. Pentax had a fine reputation for their lenses, they need to build on that.

Anyway - Thank you for your hard work....

10-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Good post. It's nice to hear that we will be seeing APS-C improvements (as generally expected) while we wait for FF, and that FF will ultimately be their key target market. It makes sense that they're developing the FF while still not sure of the final form it will take. This sounds exactly like Pentax has been acting lately - that they're still not sure how they'll differentiate themselves in the FF market. Otherwise they would have been giving us slightly different hints the past couple of months. Fall 2013 still sounds plausible for FF, but they're not making any promises, and that's good right now. If it ends up in 2014 - well, at least they'll have some more lenses by then too.

I liked hearing that the next Q is already in development, as well as a 645D successor. IMO this is very important, even if the sales numbers are never that high. Pentax is already only one camera away (a FF) from having the most comprehensive range in the industry, going from the Q all the way to the 645D.
10-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In addition to the ordinary tech challenges (AF, image processing, FPS, Flash sync, video, etc.) they have to decide whether it is feasible to be smaller, lighter, more durable, weather-sealed, have more DR and have IBIS (or start a FF OIS in lens line) at the market price point.

I'm optimistcally stunned that they're actually moving ahead under those conditions.
10-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Meantime, we have been developing another technology for even better IQ which has different approach than w/o AA. We are planning to enhance our originality from a new perspective. You can expect that.
Non-Bayer sensor in a Pentax? Dig it.
10-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Thanks heaps for the translation!

Regarding the added value Pentax is looking for their future FF model: They should just put one of the awesome Sony sensors into a K-5 like body and make the viewfinder hybrid, i.e., optical with useful information (like a histogram) projected into it.

The Sony alpha-99 is a great camera but many will eschew it because of the EVF (and rightly so). If Pentax could be the first to provide the classic FF OVF experience, with the convenience of some EVF features thrown in, they'd have a winner, AFAIC.
10-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Sorry I just posted another thread without knowing this...
The 2 threads are now merged
10-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Non-Bayer sensor in a Pentax? Dig it.
A non-bayer sensor would be welcome with me as well. That was an odd quote. InVisage perhaps? Or a coop with Sigma/foveon? You know...I remember reading a post saying Sigma was actively working on a FF foveon sensor. Hmmm...

Edit: Reference: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/201084-sigmas-new-glass-features.html

Excerpt:
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I talked to quite the number of people at (and in) Sigma while in Germany. I learned a great deal - although unfortunatley could never get it in writting.

There will be an updated new Merrill body in about one years time, in less than two - a Sigma full frame with the same sensor technology.

Even the first camera body wll be well above 2k, not full frame, but will also be signficantly better than even the new K5 without the filter. Too early to tell about the Sigma full frame, but using adapted existing technology - it would be almost as good as the Nikon D4, and might even exceed the D4 in price

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 10-09-2012 at 09:35 PM.