Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #46
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Beware, the actual quote is

And 2013 has to be understood as FY2013, which ends on March 30th, 2014.

So the actual launch of Pentax 24x36 DSLR could well be CP+ 2014 (in February) or even Photokina 2014 (in September).
It's more real than 2013.

10-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Perfect. In June 2015 my K-5 will be 3 years old and I may be looking for a new body. The volunteer beta testers will then have provided ample evidence for me to make an informed decision.

But I'm left with one small problem: DA15 and DA21 are high on my LBA list. Or they were. Now I'm not so sure about buying APS-C only lenses anymore...
I would expect any ff camera (if one is released) to have a crop mode like Nikon.
10-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Well done on the translation, leonsroar.

It's nice to get something interesting to read rather than little or very vague information.
Good to know the designers are working overtime.
10-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
A FF Foveon sounds great at first glance, but currently the Foveon's have wretched, wretched high ISO performance.
Yeah, Foveon cameras seem to be best used by strobists at base ISO. They would have to drastically improve the mid-high ISO "blotchiness" to compete with Bayer FF sensors in more general use-cases. The InVisage design seems interesting, but I've yet to see results I can compare against.

10-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #50
Veteran Member

He said 2013 or later...
People realize that "or later" means from 2013 until the year the sun swallows the Earth, right?
10-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

This interview is the first real hint by someone representing Pentax that sounds positive in terms of direction. Comments seem well thought out and reasonable. Looks like we have some new cameras to look forward to including an updated 645D, a replacement of the K5 series of cameras, the next model after the Q10 and a FF in the works along with some lenses to complement the new camera. There are a lot of tidbits in the interview that will keep the discussions in this forum going for a long time.

We need a thread to identify how Pentax can differentiate a Pentax full frame from CANIKON. Pentax I'm sure could use some ideas submitted by members of this forum.
10-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #52

Photos: Albums
I'm thrilled!!!!

The best news yet!

10-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
This interview is the first real hint by someone representing Pentax that sounds positive in terms of direction. Comments seem well thought out and reasonable. Looks like we have some new cameras to look forward to including an updated 645D, a replacement of the K5 series of cameras, the next model

We need a thread to identify how Pentax can differentiate a Pentax full frame from CANIKON. Pentax I'm sure could use some ideas submitted by members of this forum.
I wholeheartedly agree! Those that were afraid that Pentax had no direction should be able to relax now, IMHO.

About differentiating: If they make a K-5-like body with the 36 mp sensor, they'll have a camera with the D800 IQ in a sturdy and compact body. The next step would be some nice lenses. May I propose a high quality f/4 24-75 WR standard zoom? If f/4 brings down the weight and price compared to those heavy f/2.8 FF zooms, it could make a great combo.
10-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
This interview is the first real hint by someone representing Pentax that sounds positive in terms of direction. Comments seem well thought out and reasonable. Looks like we have some new cameras to look forward to including an updated 645D, a replacement of the K5 series of cameras, the next model after the Q10 and a FF in the works along with some lenses to complement the new camera. There are a lot of tidbits in the interview that will keep the discussions in this forum going for a long time.

Not the first positive one, but the most obviously positive one We had positive signs right after Ricoh took over...
The difference between now and after Hoya's hostile takeover is IMO dramatic.

I would put in such a tread my main requirement: a truly outstanding viewfinder (even if it means a somehow larger camera). That should make me wanting to pay $$$$ on a camera I don't actually need.
10-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Digital K1000 is just so silly. The K1000 was a great low cost camera, but it already looked very old besides the MX, which was a much smaller system camera with lots of features that the K1000 didn't have.
It's really not that silly. The K1000 is a camera a lot of people have enjoyed using. And you mentioned one of its features -its low cost. There are less mechanical parts and less design necessary to manufacture such a camera, obviously. However, I've never owned an MX (though I have wanted to for a long time), or any other K or M series SLR, so the K1000 is the the camera I automatically associate with simplicity. Ultimately the idea of the digital "insert K or M series slr here" camera is what I'm getting at. Something with a reduced feature set, minus auto focus, and perhaps minus SR, digital filters, etc. Enough features to provide an excellent shooting experience at a reduced cost, with an FF sensor. Something similar to the bodies Leica offers (from my limited understanding), but without the high price tag.
10-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
It's really not that silly. The K1000 is a camera a lot of people have enjoyed using. And you mentioned one of its features -its low cost.
And that's exactly where a digital version will fail.

By the way, Leica is adding features; take a look at their new M.
10-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #57
Pentaxian

It's really not that silly. The K1000 is a camera a lot of people have enjoyed using. And you mentioned one of its features -its low cost. There are less mechanical parts and less design necessary to manufacture such a camera, obviously. However, I've never owned an MX (though I have wanted to for a long time), or any other K or M series SLR, so the K1000 is the the camera I automatically associate with simplicity. Ultimately the idea of the digital "insert K or M series slr here" camera is what I'm getting at. Something with a reduced feature set, minus auto focus, and perhaps minus SR, digital filters, etc. Enough features to provide an excellent shooting experience at a reduced cost, with an FF sensor. Something similar to the bodies Leica offers (from my limited understanding), but without the high price tag.
I traded my MX for an LX 30 years ago, and the wonderful TTL automatic of the LX didn't make it less nice to operate - quite the opposite. I think only Leica can sell MF cameras these days, and of the other things you mention, nothing is really expensive compared to the FF sensor.
10-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #58
Pentaxian

of the other things you mention, nothing is really expensive compared to the FF sensor.
AF is expensive (with an in-body motor).
And IBIS on FF is expensive if it requires lenses to cover more than 24x36mm.

Personally, I think the "digital K1000" concept makes practical sense,
although it might be hard to sell in a tech-obsessed market.
It would certainly need a good split-image screen for the MF.
10-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's really not that silly. The K1000 is a camera a lot of people have enjoyed using. And you mentioned one of its features -its low cost. There are less mechanical parts and less design necessary to manufacture such a camera, obviously. However, I've never owned an MX (though I have wanted to for a long time), or any other K or M series SLR, so the K1000 is the the camera I automatically associate with simplicity. Ultimately the idea of the digital "insert K or M series slr here" camera is what I'm getting at.
The KM is the simple camera we should have standardized on. The K1000 was an afterthought, issued in 1976, after the K2, KX and KM, as a budget camera. It initially was a commercial failure and would have been discontinued were it not for the uptake by High School photography classes (which themselves were a chance result of the second half of the baby boom hitting high school). Intending to reduce the cost of the camera while recognizing the persistent sales volume, Pentax moved assembly from Japan to Hong Kong, then to mainland China, using more plastic parts. IOW they cheapened the K1000 to keep it alive.

Despite the near universal (and I believe irrational) love for the K1000 it was a cheap, featureless [EDIT: Prolly not the best choice of word] abomination compared to a KM or KX.

[EDIT: IMHO] a Pentax FF should emulate the LX. A K300 might emululate a K1000 but nothing higher on the model pyramid.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-11-2012 at 10:53 AM.
10-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The KM is the simple camera we should have standardized on. The K1000 was an afterthought, issued in 1976, after the K2, KX and KM, as a budget camera. It initially was a commercial failure and would have been discontinued were it not for the uptake by High School photography classes (which themselves were a chance result of the second half of the baby boom hitting high school). Intending to reduce the cost of the camera while recognizing the persistent sales volume, Pentax moved assembly from Japan to Hong Kong, then to mainland China, using more plastic parts. IOW they cheapened the K1000 to keep it alive.

Despite the near universal (and I believe irrational) love for the K1000 it was a cheap, featureless abomination compared to a KM or KX.

A Pentax FF should emulate the LX. A K300 might emululate a K1000 but nothing higher on the model pyramid.
Why not emulate a WR PZ-1p?