Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This year, recognizing their photojournalists couldn't expose proper images, they got the K1000's out of the closet, cleaned the darkrooms and started teaching basic photography again.
My son's girlfriend goes to a photography art school. They did analog only for one year before using digital equipment at all. I think she loved it. She used an OM-1 and also owns an ME with the original 40mm pancake. There's a lot of passion for old manual photo equipment among young people today. One of the first things my youngest (14 year old son) wanted to do when he was allowed to use my old K10d as his own, was to visit a vintage camera store and buy an old manual focus lens.

10-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
My son's girlfriend goes to a photography art school. They did analog only for one year before using digital equipment at all. I think she loved it. She used an OM-1 and also owns an ME with the original 40mm pancake. There's a lot of passion for old manual photo equipment among young people today. One of the first things my youngest (14 year old son) wanted to do when he was allowed to use my old K10d as his own, was to visit a vintage camera store and buy an old manual focus lens.
I'm not old enough to have participated in the "film-age". And I love manual focus lenses. I hate film though. I own a 645 with two lenses. I was interested in the format, but obviously I'll never be able to afford a digital version. The process of developing film, getting prints and scanning them in just feels awful.

What gets me is the lack of modern manual focus Pentax lenses. Why not have some high quality glass, that's affordable and will last forever because of the lacking AF?
10-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What gets me is the lack of modern manual focus Pentax lenses. Why not have some high quality glass, that's affordable and will last forever because of the lacking AF?
Nothing lasts forever, I have two old manual focus lenses which are basically unusable after 30 years of use (and probably not worth the cost of a repair). They're not from Pentax, though. But I have two copies of M-50/1.7, and one of them is pretty "loose" in the focusing mechanism.

Pentax screw drive AF lenses will last long, won't they? Especially the best built metal ones, like the FA limiteds. That's the beauty of screw drive, IMHO - built in AF motors are bound to fail some day, even if they're less crappy than the DA* SDM ones.
10-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Nothing lasts forever, I have two old manual focus lenses which are basically unusable after 30 years of use (and probably not worth the cost of a repair). They're not from Pentax, though. But I have two copies of M-50/1.7, and one of them is pretty "loose" in the focusing mechanism.

Pentax screw drive AF lenses will last long, won't they? Especially the best built metal ones, like the FA limiteds. That's the beauty of screw drive, IMHO - built in AF motors are bound to fail some day, even if they're less crappy than the DA* SDM ones.
I've bought, cleaned and repaid (and sold again) so many of those worn out "broken" old manual focus lenses that I'm absolutely sure they will last me a whole lifetime. And when they don't, I can repair them myself easily. With an FA, I don't have that option. I opened one up once and quickly closed it back up again. But yes, the do last long if nothing goes wrong.

New versions of those old mechanical gems with modern coatings and WR would be so sweet. To be coupled with a tiny solid state camera, that has as little moving parts as possible, would be even sweeter.

10-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #110
Veteran Member

I'm not old enough to have participated in the "film-age". And I love manual focus lenses. I hate film though. I own a 645 with two lenses. I was interested in the format, but obviously I'll never be able to afford a digital version. The process of developing film, getting prints and scanning them in just feels awful.
I grew up in the tail end of the film age...and I also prefer digital. For me it is just a lot more difficult with film to get a decent image. With film, you have to own a set of filters and they are as important as lenses.
I do love the look of slides on a light table
10-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I rarely hear younger people credit the skill of the person at the 'lab," who could often take a so-so exposure and draw it out to a decent print - or who could take a great exposure and dodge and burn it into an artwork.

The worst aspect of digital photography isn't the loss of film, chemicals and paper - it is the loss of the lab technician, who was replaced by Photoshop.
10-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I rarely hear younger people credit the skill of the person at the 'lab," who could often take a so-so exposure and draw it out to a decent print - or who could take a great exposure and dodge and burn it into an artwork.

The worst aspect of digital photography isn't the loss of film, chemicals and paper - it is the loss of the lab technician, who was replaced by Photoshop.
Funny, the fact that we can now do that ourselves is a big advantage, imho. No more crossing fingers and hoping the lab-person has the same views about the end-results as you. And of course, why would that lab-guy give a rats *** about someone elses pictures? The quality of his work is only just good enough to prevent complaints and keep his salary comming in.

10-12-2012, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #113
Site Supporter

Funny, the fact that we can now do that ourselves is a big advantage, imho. No more crossing fingers and hoping the lab-person has the same views about the end-results as you. And of course, why would that lab-guy give a rats *** about someone elses pictures? The quality of his work is only just good enough to prevent complaints and keep his salary comming in.
Some of us could and can do it ourselves in the darkroom.
10-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #114
Veteran Member

And why lab skills should be more or less respectable than photoshop skills ? Both are equally important since they have the same goal IMO.
10-12-2012, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More inflammatory, heretical opinion - meant with kindest heart.

Bummer you've had such a dispiriting experience. I guess you never used an art lab as my wife and daughter used then. They had to pay for the best, but they got the best. While it lasted.

I frequently listened while my wife talked to the Printmaster about her negs while they leaned over the light table and he made notes. Often the Printer made more than one: one as discussed; and another one (or more) as he or she saw the image, or on a different paper. More than once my wife accepted the Printer's vision of the image as better than or in addition to her own. (FWIW, my daughter has a harder edge and never did - and does her own work now).

They paid for the prints they took but there was enough in those they took to allow for the custom service and the long term relationship.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Some of us could and can do it ourselves in the darkroom.
Indeed. I never did it much after classes, nor could I do it well. Very early I figured out some people could take 'em and other people could print 'em. (And lots of people could do neither). Granted, my daughter can and does print analog, which validates the mat signature and the frame. I get lucky once every eight or ten rolls (and I know it) so it is just fun and games for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
And why lab skills should be more or less respectable than photoshop skills ? Both are equally important since they have the same goal IMO.
Interestingly, digital developing allowed me to start photographing again, after a long hiatus, because I could avoid the analog hassle. I'm not any better at Photoshop than I was at analog, but the Presets allow me to get a printable image out of a camera.

A great Shopper is equally as valuable as a great Printer. A marginal Shopper is equally marginal. In my personal opinion - and this is pure opinion, neither right nor wrong, nor challengeable - at the upper bound analog skill becomes art. We like to think digital skill at the upper bound becomes art but I believe it is craft.

I lament the loss of the artists.
10-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #116

A front-line rep inside Pentax JP just posted on the other forum that he feels pretty sure that no more new K-mount cameras for a year.
10-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #117
Veteran Member

My biggest lament about digital is really the rising cost of film, and especially of decent film transfers. It's somewhat prohibitive. I love shooting digital, but I also love shooting film. It's soooooo hard to get a decent (and by that I mean amazing -I have what I would consider to be high standards) without paying an arm and a leg for it. It shocks me that there are no decently priced scanners for home usage.
10-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leonsroar Quote
A front-line rep inside Pentax JP just posted on the other forum that he feels pretty sure that no more new K-mount cameras for a year.
not even a new entry-level model? how can Pentax continue with only two cameras? unless it's another mount....
10-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
not even a new entry-level model? how can Pentax continue with only two cameras? unless it's another mount....
another mount... there are quite a few indications in the DC Watch interview that Pentax is very interested in mirrorless - not larger than APS-C, and I don't think they actually mean that they have their bases covered with the Q only. So that leaves the possibility of an APS-C mirrorless, or maybe a GXR update - or is there any possibility that they may be entering micro 4/3?
10-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #120
Veteran Member

another mount... there are quite a few indications in the DC Watch interview that Pentax is very interested in mirrorless - not larger than APS-C, and I don't think they actually mean that they have their bases covered with the Q only. So that leaves the possibility of an APS-C mirrorless, or maybe a GXR update - or is there any possibility that they may be entering micro 4/3?
I can't see it....Pentax just recommitted themselves to all their current mounts ...I mean, Q, K, 645 (GXR?)... can they really take on another?