Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax Digital Camera Utility to be updated to v4.40 upon K5 II release

FYI: An updated Pentax Digital Camera Utility (v4.40) will be shipped with the new K-5 II and K-5 IIs.

K-5II / K-5IIs specification
(Google translate)
(down the bottom of the page)

I wonder if they have included any additional features to deal with any specific K-5 II or K-5 IIs sensor issues - specifically moire/false colour.

Not available for download yet.

10-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello rawr...............I have a K5 2s on order and your comment makes me wonder if I'll have to use PDCU for special PP on moire related issues.............It also made me think that I've yet to see Pentax Camera Profiles standard in Adobe Lightroom................maybe now is the time to push Adobe for that..........
10-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's too early to tell if PDCU will have any special tweaks to address any of the peculiar image issues the K-5 IIs may bring to the table.

I suppose it's possible - the PDCU parent app (Silkypix Developer Studio) has support for the D800E and other non-AA cameras which I think includes some adjustments useful for those cameras.

No doubt in a while after the K-5 II and IIs hit the streets, Adobe will update Lightroom/ACR/DNG Convertor to handle the features of the new bodies. But LR already has some capacity to deal with moire as it stands. No need to wait for new camera profiles.

But all the worry about K-5 IIs moire and false-colour may be a storm in a tea-cup, I suspect. It will be business and PP as usual for most shots, I reckon.
10-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

you are probably right...............we'll see as things develop..................thanks

10-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter

LR4 has a moire slider inside the adjustment brush setting.

Don't know how it works as I don't have any moire handy at the moment.
10-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Don't know how it works as I don't have any moire handy at the moment.
Same here. I've never needed to touch it.

The K-x is supposed to have a weak AA filter and be able to produce it quite easily, but I've never noticed any, so never looked into how good LR or DxO were at cleaning it up.
10-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I went to the Adobe site and requested a camera profile update for K5, K5 II and K5 IIs
10-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The K-x is supposed to have a weak AA filter and be able to produce it quite easily, but I've never noticed any, so never looked into how good LR or DxO were at cleaning it up.
Ah, here's sample of a K-x with moire in the results..

K-x +DA 35 at f4.5 ...

I'm sure those ripples weren't there in the model's shirt when I took that shot....

I do hope if there's a PDCU update coming up, there's an auto-moire cleanup feature for it at least. Or IIs users will have big-time problems with shots like this...
or shouldn't have, given that they should've known stuff like this may occur in the first place.

Though weirdly enough, that time I tested the K-5 IIs on something similar, NO MOIRE came up in the jpegs.

10-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know how to update the software to the K-5 and K-7 I own using a Mac PowerBook?
10-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Though weirdly enough, that time I tested the K-5 IIs on something similar, NO MOIRE came up in the jpegs.
What were the JPEG settings?

Do you think the moire was taken care of deliberately in the K-5 jpg engine?
10-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wonder what the aperture threshold might be for that kind of moire on the K-x and maybe K-5 - eg it's there at f5.6 like the red shirt sample, but gone by f8 or f11?

Or even not there when a lens is shot wide-open and at its softest (at f2.8 in the case of the 35 Macro, pehaps), but only arrives at f5.6 when the lens is at its sharpest?

I guess this may potentially mean every lens may have a different 'moire profile', depending on its sharpness/aperture curve, relative to the sensor it is used on. And of course depending on the visual properties of the subject being shot.
10-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clem Quote
I don't know how to update the software to the K-5 and K-7 I own using a Mac PowerBook?
You can download an update to PDCU from Pentax USA here (expand the 'Software' button to find it):

Downloads & Literature - PENTAX Imaging USA

The Mac version is at the bottom of the page.

The instructions are pretty standard stuff:
QuoteQuote:
INSTRUCTIONS
Click the download link below appropriate to your operating system, and save the download file to your computer's hard drive. For example, saving the download file to your desktop will allow you find it easily once the download is complete.
Close other applications, then double click the download file to begin updating your current version 4 Utility Software. Mac users may need to first unstuff the download file prior to installation.
Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the update.
When the update is complete, click FINISH to exit the installer.
10-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
What were the JPEG settings? Do you think the moire was taken care of deliberately in the K-5 jpg engine?
jpeg settings were @16mp, ***. the shots I took ranged from f2.4 to f6.3 using the DA 35. I am not sure if the jpeg engine processed the moire out, or if that's directly possible with the pre-production firmware. Too bad I couldn't open the PEF files even with PDCU 3.45, guess I should've double-checked and switched it to DNG that time (only had about 10 minutes to hog the K-5 IIs during the event).

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I wonder what the aperture threshold might be for that kind of moire on the K-x and maybe K-5 - eg it's there at f5.6 like the red shirt sample, but gone by f8 or f11?
Yeah it's there from f2.8 to f8... Though it's most visible at 4 to 5.6 like the sample I posted above. Am not sure at which aperture it will be negligible though... the samples posted at DPReview using an M 50 f4 macro were shot from f11-16.