Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
I have yet to see a DSLR surpass the IQ of the medim-high end Canon's- if this K20D can do so that would be a feat in itself.

...if the new K20D proves to have Canon-like IQ I'll buy one!
That depends on what you call `medium/ high end`
Also, I have read many a reveiw and I have found out that `IQ` while often measures in `line` and `resolution` has more to do with how we `see` an image , rather than with scientific data of an image. There are already people out there stating that the images have the `flat CMOS/look` but to others it looks nice.
Some say the K20Dpics look better than that of the D300 of Canon 40D while others say it does not even come close. I guess they are all right, it just depends on what one likes to see.

02-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #47

IQ (Image Quality) to me is defined in shadow noise, dynamic range, chromatic abberation propensity, resolving power, highlight handling, shadow clipping, etc., all parameters which Canon cameras (in my opinion) have excelled at in their differing camera classes. I know there are MANY variables in determining the IQ of a camera but it has been my observation that Canon is the leader in imaging technology and it shows in their imaging devices such as their DSLR's and video cameras (I have a few of the new HD ones as well.)

So why do I have a Pentax?
Plain and simple- I just wanted something different and the K10D fit the bill.......I was feeling my images were coming out well due to equipment and I'd like to see if I could achieve similar results using another brand- so for me this is an extended "test" of the Pentax K10D (don't have a K20D)....if I find sub-par IQ, i'll jump back to Canon and call it a day.....I'll invest my time in other endeavors.

I eagerly await the internet reviews of the K20D and hope the new CMOS sensor allows for extraordinary photos!
02-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #48

Well the small amount of images from the K20D I have seen posted on another site look flat to me, but that may just be the person posting them. A friend has a Canon and his CMOS images don't look flat, although they many tiimes look over sharpened.

Time will tell if the images make me go out and buy a K20D.

Tom
02-24-2008, 06:14 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
Well the small amount of images from the K20D I have seen posted on another site look flat to me, but that may just be the person posting them. A friend has a Canon and his CMOS images don't look flat, although they many tiimes look over sharpened.

Time will tell if the images make me go out and buy a K20D.

Tom
Been wonderiung about that too. But I suspect that may have to do with the amount of noise reduction. It is some sort of neat image flatness.
Some of those who have it already (yes, me envious) say that the images look sharpest with NR on +1 so they like to post NR +1 pics. I think the best way to judge "flatness" is the picture Phil uses in DPReview of the various objects, espcially on the gold print of the martini bottle. That fine gold flaky structure will reveal all (and yes, that does look flat on Phil's text shots of the Canon's until you get to the 5D).

02-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Been wonderiung about that too. But I suspect that may have to do with the amount of noise reduction. It is some sort of neat image flatness.
Some of those who have it already (yes, me envious) say that the images look sharpest with NR on +1 so they like to post NR +1 pics. I think the best way to judge "flatness" is the picture Phil uses in DPReview of the various objects, espcially on the gold print of the martini bottle. That fine gold flaky structure will reveal all (and yes, that does look flat on Phil's text shots of the Canon's until you get to the 5D).
Could this issue of flat looking images be nothing more than a jpeg and NR settings thing? If you use RAW shouldn't you be able to get any look you want from any kind of sensor?
04-10-2008, 03:04 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
Wanna make a bet It wont go below 1190? It would be nice but wont happen till ,,,,, I cant tell you why
FWIW: Amazon "Gold Box" offers

Pentax K20D (Body Only)
Special Gold Box Price: $1078.24 Free Shipping

Pentax K200D with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens
Special Gold Box Price: $672.48 Free Shipping
04-14-2008, 06:10 AM   #52
Inactive Account

PreferredPhoto.com - Pentax K20D, 14.6 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera ($907.00)

PreferredPhoto.com - Pentax K20D, 14.6 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera w/ 18-55mm AF Lens Kit ($973.00)

04-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #53

Unfortunately, Preferredphoto.com=BroadwayPhoto.com

Reseller ratings are pretty bad. Known grey-marketer.
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #54

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please a search next time prior to posting. It is irresponsible to mention those rip off sites.
04-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #55

Back to the IQ discussion, I find the many time Canon images of birds seem to be so sharp that the feathers no longer look soft, but look sharp enough to cut yourself on. That to me looks computer generated and I much prefer the CCD look of the K10D, which to me looks more film like and more realistic.

The jury is still out on the K20D until I see more well done images of birds in particular which is what I shoot most. CMOS does have a different look than CCD and I just have to decide if I like Pentax's version.

Tom
04-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by Cedar Quote
FWIW: Amazon "Gold Box" offers

Pentax K20D (Body Only)
Special Gold Box Price: $1078.24 Free Shipping

Pentax K200D with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens
Special Gold Box Price: $672.48 Free Shipping
k20d open box/refurb at Amazon $1021 with free shipping. The warranty is not listed, but 30 day return policy.
04-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Back to the IQ discussion, I find the many time Canon images of birds seem to be so sharp that the feathers no longer look soft, but look sharp enough to cut yourself on. That to me looks computer generated and I much prefer the CCD look of the K10D, which to me looks more film like and more realistic.

The jury is still out on the K20D until I see more well done images of birds in particular which is what I shoot most. CMOS does have a different look than CCD and I just have to decide if I like Pentax's version.

Tom
That depends mostly on the camera settings used and post-processing. I've seen plenty of those kind of shots from a K20D (take a look at DPR).
04-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #58

Back to the IQ discussion, I find the many time Canon images of birds seem to be so sharp t...
You ask a great question, but the title of this thread is " K20D Price drop" - not IQ quality of k20d. There are other threads much more on topic.
04-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #59
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
Please a search next time prior to posting. It is irresponsible to mention those rip off sites.
I didn't say if it was a rip off or not... its related to the price drop right? folks were saying they bet it wouldn't drop below a grand so i did a google product search for the k20d and linked the lowest advertised price, winch happened to be below a grand... so... im staying on topic unlike the guy you chose to whine about getting off topic after bickering about me being irresponsible lol... anyways they say the best way to make amends is a blameless appology... so im sorry for being so "irresponsable" =)

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
You ask a great question, but the title of this thread is " K20D Price drop" - not IQ quality of k20d. There are other threads much more on topic.

Last edited by pentaxbling; 04-14-2008 at 09:32 PM.
04-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxbling Quote
its related to the price drop right?
Sure is. But despite your graphic, it's not the wrong forum. And I'm going to opinion generally, and not specifically now.

I think that many read a price post as a recommendation from the poster, and I can see their point.

I mean why a post a price from someone you don't trust... or don't know... but not mention that fact? Who is that supposed to help?

Some stores just have a real history of scamming folks. To knowingly post a price from one, where someone 'less in the know' might be taken advantage of... without any sort of disclaimer... I agree wouldn't be a helpful or friendly post IMO.

I think most of us have seen the K20D listed online for under $1000... but without going into particular stores, what you'd get (or not get, as the issue may be) for that price is a much bigger question.

My thought on any such postings is that if you don't know a store well enough to recommend it... the store... not just the price... then it's common practice and courtesy to include a disclaimer to that effect in your post.

A link to resellerratings.com for stores you reference to but don't know would also be a nice touch.

I myself can't see posting any price from a store I didn't know and trust without a disclaimer to that effect.

At least not to anyone here at pentaxforums.

Last edited by Cedar; 04-14-2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Type A. Why?