Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kdoggydog Quote
It's not the retailers that decide intial pricing. That would be the manufacturer.
The manufacturer sets the MSRP. The dealer buys somewhere below the MSRP. The dealer can sell that item for anything they want to regardless of what the manufacture says or wants. If the dealer wants to sell it for over MSRP and they can get it, they will. MSRP stands for manufacturers SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE.

02-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
The manufacturer sets the MSRP. The dealer buys somewhere below the MSRP. The dealer can sell that item for anything they want to regardless of what the manufacture says or wants. If the dealer wants to sell it for over MSRP and they can get it, they will. MSRP stands for manufacturers SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE.
That is not always the case. It depends on what type of agreement that the manufacture sets with the dealer. There are some brands that can't be sold below MSRP like Ipod and Bose. You will not see it selling brand new at an AUTHORIZED dealer for below MSRP.

I do not know what the agreement pentax has with its seller but I hope that the price will fall within a few months.
02-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

well i bet there will be a used market in 6 mothes and there will be your true price cut i think that some poepole will sell there K20D for one reson or a neather
02-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
That is not always the case. It depends on what type of agreement that the manufacture sets with the dealer. There are some brands that can't be sold below MSRP like Ipod and Bose. You will not see it selling brand new at an AUTHORIZED dealer for below MSRP.

I do not know what the agreement pentax has with its seller but I hope that the price will fall within a few months.
By law in the US a manufacturer cannot force a reseller to sell for a fixed price. There is a lot of BS in the marketplace regarding this issue. MAP (minimum advertised price) is an attempt at circumventing this issue and that has been a complete failure. Power tool manufacturers like DeWalt have MAP pricing and the discounters comply but then turn around and give a set of drills to go along with the tool for free.

02-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, the market - not Pentax or its distributors - will ultimately dictate the price for the K20D, as it does for everything. The initial price will stay in place as long as demand supports it (Pentax will be looking for the sweet spot between margin and market share) but will drop when that price is no longer sustainable. The price almost certainly will go down, but the rate of that decrease will depend upon demand - and that's anybody's guess. Pentax's job is to maintain demand and forstall price erosion as long as possible.

Jer
02-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I imagine that the profit margin on the K20D could be lower than the K200D, because K20D would probably be more likely to buy expensive lenses.
02-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
By law in the US a manufacturer cannot force a reseller to sell for a fixed price.
At least, that was the case until last June, when the US Supreme Court overturned the 1911 decision that set that rule:

Minimum retail price accords allowed, U.S. Supreme Court rules - International Herald Tribune

02-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #23
Inactive Account

It is my understanding the retail rage will not drop below $1190. US in 2008
02-07-2008, 05:44 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
According to the Norwegian distributors web page both the K20D and the K200D is 20% more expensive than the camera they replace; the K10D and K100D respectively. So the prices are pretty competitive to start with. I expect a 20% increase over the previous models wil be the case in most other markets as well.
You mean 20% over the current or over the introduction price of the k10d/k100d ?
02-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #25

Don't forget the Canikon and Sony competitive pressure. However, if the dollar continues its current weakness. i'm afraid the much dreaded stagflation will take hold and you'll pay MORE for it the longer you wait....
US market force is no longer as mighty as it once was...
02-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #26

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
From what Pentax USA have said is that Hoya is very firm with their pricing and most likely will not continue the rebate program for bodies. On a side note there will be no discount for buying the Samsung clone because it costs retailers $100 more so it'll be selling for $1399 MAP pricing.
What do you expect them to say, the truth, which wholesale pricing is flexible? Pentax is not the only game in town, and in fact, not one of the top tier players. Pentax will have to react to the market makers - Canikon. If they are "firm" with their pricing, and don't react to competition, they are not going to be in the DSLR market for long!

I have a k100d and am down to three lenses, so no major investment. If Canon or Nikon offer the right camera for the right price, I'll jump ship in a heartbeat. As of today, I have no plans to switch, but if the k20d is not close to $1000 by late summer, I'll consider all of the alternatives for my next DSLR.

Last edited by superfuzzy; 02-12-2008 at 08:12 AM.
02-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Superfuzzy makes a good point, its not just the new entrants to the dslr market that a manufacturer needs to target. The advent of ebay and to some extent craig's list and forums like this have made switching brands relatively easy and less painful than previously. Nevertheless, I think most people would just prefer to avoid the hassle. In a strange way, Pentax put itself in diffciult spot with the K10d. Compared to other brands it was simply a no brainer that it was and is (for a few weeks anyway) an outstanding value. As such, Pentax's customer base now includes a great many cost conscious users, who I hate to say are not likely to be early adopters and could easily jump ship. Of course this is all just supposition, I have no idea what percentage of new sales come from exisiting owners. I believe the growth potential for dslrs is still enormous, and to what extent you continue to attract existing cutomers may just be inconsequential. As an aside, I would love to know what percentage of revenues are accounted for by lens sales. It would seem that would be an important component to camera pricing.

For myself, my camera is almost brand new, and just how far I go with this new hobby remains to be seen. The associated costs of digital photography appear quite daunting. I can't see ever putting up the cash for CS3, even lightroom is a nail bitter. External hardrive, RAM upgrade, dual core desktop, large monitor, photocentric printer, not to mention the camera peripherals, like flash, tripod, bag, lenses. The camera itself really is just the tip of the iceburg. Unless I really take the dive on most of the foregoing, I can't see going up camerawise. But the biggest thing for me is simply time, and right now I don't have that much to spend. ch
02-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
3 months to 900.
02-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I don't understand anyones reasoning to switch because of price not being less than $1000...

If thats the case then switch now.
02-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #30

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I don't understand anyones reasoning to switch because of price not being less than $1000...

If thats the case then switch now.
I'm not in the market for a camera at the moment, but I will be this summer. I wrote:
if the k20d is not close to $1000 by late summer, I'll consider all of the alternatives for my next DSLR.

In other words, if the k20d comes down a bit, based on what is known about the k20d, it will be a no brainer to grab one, but if the price stays in the same range, I'll look at alternatives before plunking down 12 or $1,300. I like my Pentax gear, but in the end a camera is just a tool, and I'll buy the best tool to meet my needs. If I did jump ship, it would be to Canon (Nikon - less likely). If normal market conditions prevail, I expect to get a k20d mid summer