Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2012, 06:51 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
Does Pentax even have any marketing strategy in South Africa?
You've used "Pentax", "Marketing", and "Strategy" all in one sentence.

I've reported you to the appropriate authorities.

10-18-2012, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
You've used "Pentax", "Marketing", and "Strategy" all in one sentence.

I've reported you to the appropriate authorities.
funny.

sad, but funny.
10-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Marketing in South Africa, ha-ha. Not much from any of the other brands either, at least not where I look. The Pentax SA website has been revamped completely and all the new models are up. It's mostly a clone of the USA site, but with local dealers etc listed. It looks like Ricoh has lit a fire under someone's rear end. At least someone looking for Pentax info in SA will have better luck! Although getting hold of actual products may be more fun. I'm going to the show tomorrow so I'll report back.
10-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chuckie Quote
Marketing in South Africa, ha-ha. Not much from any of the other brands either...
Fantastic, I should move to SA emmediately. I hate Nikon for having their commercials on in each and every commercial-block.

Something deep inside me is always telling me that products that have to be marketed THAT hard must be pretty lame. Appearantly they wouldn't sell without it.

10-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chuckie Quote
Marketing in South Africa, ha-ha. Not much from any of the other brands either, at least not where I look. The Pentax SA website has been revamped completely and all the new models are up. It's mostly a clone of the USA site, but with local dealers etc listed. It looks like Ricoh has lit a fire under someone's rear end. At least someone looking for Pentax info in SA will have better luck! Although getting hold of actual products may be more fun. I'm going to the show tomorrow so I'll report back.
About time too. Shortly after Ricoh took over, I chatted to a camera shop guy who implied that the local agents, Telton, were acting very nervous and reluctant to carry or support stock. But then they have always had a low Pentax interest and mainly supported their Fuji camera and photo interests.
10-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax has never cared about marketing...only about cameras...I determined 5 years ago that there will never be a Pentax full frame camera--much as I'd like it and I would actually buy one. Who makes prints larger than 30x40 anyway? Anything over that size gets run through Perfect Resize before printing, so the issue is a non-issue. My sales to magazines and such have not been "harmed" by the Pentax DSLR line up over the past 10 years...Show me a lost sale or bad print due to APS-C sensor...it just doesn't happen and hasn't happened--not to one single person on earth EVER!

Life is short, get shooting!
10-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Pentax has never cared about marketing...only about cameras...I determined 5 years ago that there will never be a Pentax full frame camera--much as I'd like it and I would actually buy one. Who makes prints larger than 30x40 anyway? Anything over that size gets run through Perfect Resize before printing, so the issue is a non-issue. My sales to magazines and such have not been "harmed" by the Pentax DSLR line up over the past 10 years...Show me a lost sale or bad print due to APS-C sensor...it just doesn't happen and hasn't happened--not to one single person on earth EVER!

Life is short, get shooting!
It's a little hard to believe that some media organizations do not have requirements which stipulate something larger than a typical APS-C sensor, at least for some images, but you may well be right. For myself, I would be less worried about whether a client liked Pentax, Sony, Canon or Nikon, etc, - if they are that brand crazy, they are probably best avoided anyway - and more concerned over which brand was likely to help me get me the best shots to submit to the client in the first place.

10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
It's a little hard to believe that some media organizations do not have requirements which stipulate something larger than a typical APS-C sensor
Indeed, some media organizations do not want APS-C photos.

Photo Submission Guidelines | Arizona Highways Magazine

QuoteQuote:
In order to achieve the high-quality reproductions in our publications, we prefer large format (4x5) transparencies, especially for the large scenic landscapes for Arizona Highways is famous. We will use medium format and 35mm transparencies that display exceptional quality and content.
I don't necessarily agree with it, but there you go.
10-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
Pentaxian

^ the excerpt that keeps mentioning "transparencies" looks like it was written back when digital was far less advanced. If you read the full Photo Submission Guidelines | Arizona Highways Magazine they allow digital and emphasize low ISO rather than sensor size.
10-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
^ the excerpt that keeps mentioning "transparencies" looks like it was written back when digital was far less advanced. If you read the full Photo Submission Guidelines | Arizona Highways Magazine they allow digital and emphasize low ISO rather than sensor size.
It's geared towards film because 4x5 digital sensors aren't really that prevalent. I once read about a custom 8x10 digital sensor but it was a one-off.

Of course they say they allow "exceptional" 35mm. It doesn't say that they don't allow APS-C but it doesn't say they allow it, either. I'm guessing that they don't, but I don't care enough to ask them.
10-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Of course they say they allow "exceptional" 35mm. It doesn't say that they don't allow APS-C but it doesn't say they allow it, either. I'm guessing that they don't, but I don't care enough to ask them.
If you look at the digital submission guidelines linked from that page, you'll see that they require files of at least 300 ppi, minimum 18x12 inches. That's nearly 20 megapixels.

Back when those guidelines were written in January 2011, I believe the number of APS-C digital cameras that met those requirements natively was approximately zero.
10-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #27
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
If you look at the digital submission guidelines linked from that page, you'll see that they require files of at least 300 ppi, minimum 18x12 inches. That's nearly 20 megapixels.

Back when those guidelines were written in January 2011, I believe the number of APS-C digital cameras that met those requirements natively was approximately zero.

I run into similiar requirements quite frequently myself, unfortunate and perhaps a bit unusual, because... I've literally seen (hobby) photography magazines that are able to take their cover pics with a non slr Olympus.

I've also almost run into a brick wall when I happen to get a gallery quality image that is also taken on a non full frame, and then someone wants to publish it - yet they have about the same guidelines as mentioned above.
10-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #28

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PhotoPlus Expo Friday October 26

Had a great time at the PhotoPlus Expo today talking with the Pentax reps. In particular, Jessica Oleksy, Regional Sales Representative, was extremely knowledgeable in showing me the K5 II and the new DA 18-270 zoom. And, yes, the Pentax booth was much larger than last year, with a prime location in the middle of the exhibition hall. There were about five display tables with the entire camera line-up,and the lenses displayed in the honeycombed wall. There's still some time to visit if you're in NYC; the expo ends Saturday at 4pm, right before Hurricane Sandy comes to visit - my Optio W90 ought to come in handy
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ADR6400L  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ADR6400L  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ADR6400L  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ADR6400L  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ADR6400L  Photo 
10-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I was at the show on Friday, too. My photos of the Pentax booth don't show anything more than Jatcat's photos so I won't post them. It was an informative show for me. I expect to buy a K5ii or iis soon unless reviews say the improved AF doesn't work. My comments about Pentax and other major manufacturers:
  • Pentax:
    • Booth was large and in a central location.
    • Sufficient personnel count. Last year had only 2 employees on duty when I stopped by the Pentax booth.Today it looked like 6+.
    • Ample cameras and lenses. They had multiples of each body for hands-on trials. The K5ii, iis, K30, and K01 were well represented. I spent most of my time looking at the iis. I also noticed the 645, Q, and compacts but didn't look closely.
    • Pentax USA looked alive!
  • Sigma and Tamron:
    • I spoke to one rep from each company to let them know that I might buy more from them if they made more in Pentax mount. Maybe if they hear that more they'll act on it.
  • Canon:
    • I wanted to see a 60Da but they didn't have one at the show (I guess charging 150% to swap a filter makes it a niche product). I tried a 60D instead; damn, what a loud and shaky shutter.
    • The new 200-400 f4 looks like an amazing lens. Surprisingly compact. Canon was letting people try it but not with a memory card because the lens is not officially out yet.
  • Nikon:
    • No news of any top-end APS update. The D7000 and D300S are aging.
  • Sony
    • Today was my first time handling an A99 and A77. The A99 is more than I want to spend. The A77, though, was impressive for a year-old camera. The EVF is large and clear. Focus peaking is a great feedback tool while manually focusing. The shutter is smooth because there's no moving mirror. I was surprised how much I was liking Sony's SLT design. I read some reviews when I got home and it seems the A77 still lags behind the K5 for high ISO and DR.
10-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #30

Will the K-R be updated, or does the K-30 fill that market?