Dell Inspiron 530
Intel E4500 (2.2ghz)
1GB DDR2
320GB HDD
19" Widescreen LCD
Blu-ray/DVD combo drive
Windows Vista

Price: $900

Doing a search on Google Shopping, I could find all the parts for this system for a total of $890, including Vista and the Blu-ray drive. Factoring in the shipping costs and the fact you'll have no complete warranty for the system, it's not a good deal.

BUT, you can assembly the same PC, with slightly better specs:
Intel E4500 (2.2ghz)
4GB DDR2
500GB HDD
19" Widescreen LCD
Blu-ray/DVD combo drive

For as little as $700. The Blu-ray drive itself costs almost $200, you can probably live without it so it amounts to $550. Throw in the OS you already have and you paid half the price of the ready made PC, with a lot more memory and disk space. You could even throw in a few more bucks for a better processor. It's very easy to assembly a PC that costs a lot less than what Dell and others can offer and performs far better.

Now back on topic and answering the OP's question, I think that system might handle it if you give some more memory. However, applying a fair amount of post-processing will certainly put a strain on the processor and the slow memory. Don't waste your money on this machine, save for a new one. This PC won't be worth anything for re-sale, there's no point in investing in it.

Oh, stay away from the Celeron processors, they are the deep bottom of the line.
Yes NO Celerons... BTW : I think it's a wash buying vs parts (or even an "assemble your own") And, yes a RETAIL copy of an OS is almost a necessity for honest people . OEM versions are "married" to the MB. Any MB replacement (except exact original) is a violation..blah blah blah. My retail XP has gone through 5 iterations of computers/parts w/ no licensing problems, which of course is user dependent
Try piecing a PC together here for some comparisons (Bought 8 different "made to order" computers from them in assorted configurations and so far 4-5 years, no problems... YMMV
MyAOpen.com - Your AOpen Custom Build PC One-Stop Shop
My brief play gave me a pretty strong system for $900 including dual 400gb HD's and a DVD burner (no blu-ray, no monitor though, but XP-pro! ).... it's fun to try a few...and maybe not the best but for $25 they at least test the system..........AND no bloatware (which you may or may not want) mostly.....

02-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
you find me ram for sale that will fit his mother board, and i might just buy it for him.

he probably has a type 462 or "A" socket mother board
he'll have an "LGA775" socket. Socket A's AMD by the way
02-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Depends a lot on what your needs are.

Example:

Dell Inspiron 530
Intel E4500 (2.2ghz)
1GB DDR2
320GB HDD
19" Widescreen LCD
Blu-ray/DVD combo drive
Windows Vista

Price: $900

Doing a search on Google Shopping, I could find all the parts for this system for a total of $890, including Vista and the Blu-ray drive. Factoring in the shipping costs and the fact you'll have no complete warranty for the system, it's not a good deal.

BUT, you can assembly the same PC, with slightly better specs:
Intel E4500 (2.2ghz)
4GB DDR2
500GB HDD
19" Widescreen LCD
Blu-ray/DVD combo drive

For as little as $700. The Blu-ray drive itself costs almost $200, you can probably live without it so it amounts to $550. Throw in the OS you already have and you paid half the price of the ready made PC, with a lot more memory and disk space. You could even throw in a few more bucks for a better processor. It's very easy to assembly a PC that costs a lot less than what Dell and others can offer and performs far better.

Now back on topic and answering the OP's question, I think that system might handle it if you give some more memory. However, applying a fair amount of post-processing will certainly put a strain on the processor and the slow memory. Don't waste your money on this machine, save for a new one. This PC won't be worth anything for re-sale, there's no point in investing in it.

Oh, stay away from the Celeron processors, they are the deep bottom of the line.
Your comparison omits the motherboard (which is probably the biggest cost differential item) and the software (the OS) and a case, all of which are included in the Dell price. With all the anti-pirating s@#t that MS puts on its recent OS's, you can't just "throw on your existing OS" (against license agreement unless deleted from existing PC anyway, if you're keeping things above board) and if your existing PC is a pre-built, you probably don't even HAVE a full OS on CDROM to use anyway (just a "restoration" disk).

I'm not suggesting that building your own is a bad idea (far from it) but I don't think that it's going to be a big money saver (if you're really looking apples to apples) so that shouldn't be the motivation to do it - do it to get the best possible machine.

Agreed on Celeron processors, they're crap and the price differential makes them non-economic considering how quickly computers become obsolete.
02-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Celerons are indeed slower, but if it as 3.3ghz, then the motherboard will be at least a 333 or even a 400, so transfer rate wont be too bad. Boost the RAM to the max it can take (check with the OEM for spec of max ram)

I have a P4 2.66ghz PC and the max ram of 1gb, and have now problem with transfer. plus with a 256MB graphics, my photoshop CS works great, and all on XP. I would'nt upgrade to Vista on my spec, but XP is great (but thats another story....LOL)

So, just upgrade the RAM, and defrag your HD frequently to keep the PC at optimum.

02-10-2008, 02:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

With the last year price cut from intel, at around $900 you can easily get a decent dual core with 4gb of memory. And I have to second the idea of getting a pre-built computer. Personally, I never got any pre-built one, but for the cost, you can't hardly beat the pre-built price. I did build several computer recently for friends, and after searching high and low for good price, I came up with a system $50 cheaper than a Dell equivalent (definitely not worth the time).

Getting used components or a used computer is another option. I would suggest you to look at my two most trusted sites, anandtech and hardforum, in case you want to go this route. It does save you quite a significant amount.

The cheapest option would be upgrading memory (like many have pointed out). With your current set up, 1gb is the only logical/viable choice, though I hate how those old memory sticks might cost you more than a modern 4gb set at the moment.

And stick with CRT for now (if that's what you're using). LCD is just another luxury that's not needed.