Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 04:56 AM   #1

Cpu/Ram for K20D 25mb raw files

I would like some advice regarding the computing abiltiy needed to download and comfortably process the 20D cameras raw files. AROUND 25MB. Currently Iam running a paltry 3.3 Ghz Celeron D with a measly 500Mb of ram. Is this enough to deal with these files. Any advice on basic computing requirements needed to deal with these files. Thanks.

02-08-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
I would like some advice regarding the computing abiltiy needed to download and comfortably process the 20D cameras raw files. AROUND 25MB. Currently Iam running a paltry 3.3 Ghz Celeron D with a measly 500Mb of ram. Is this enough to deal with these files. Any advice on basic computing requirements needed to deal with these files. Thanks.
Sure, you can do it. There's only 40% more data than from a K10D, of course.

One 32-bit (8 bits per color + alpha) image from the K20D is about 55MB of data. Or at 16 bits per channel, twice that.

That said, you can almost certainly speed things up by increasing RAM. Half a gig of RAM is on the low side these days.
02-08-2008, 05:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Since your using a PC it should be dirt cheap to upgrade your RAM and its one of the easiest things you can do to boost performance. Just plug it into an available RAM slot and your good to go but make sure you check your motherboards memory capacity first (and available slots) before you grab your self one too many sticks. Make sure its the right type of ram as well if your comp is over 2 years.

It only becomes a hassle if your using any Adobe bloatware (specifically any versions of Photoshop past V.7) than you may need to look at grabbing yourself a faster graphics card as well (ebay will have some very fast cards for a fraction of what they cost a year or 2 ago, any of the nvidia 7+ series should suffice for photography, not sure what the ATI equivalents are..).

Generally when upgrading new (or shopping around) you need to look at CPU, RAM and the GPU (graphics card). You can have a fast processor and a whole lotta ram but without a good gpu your still going to struggle with large file edits. This is generally why the upgrade box/packages are so cheap (fast processor, lots of RAM and a largish hard drive, bells and whistles..)...because they dont come with a true performance card which can be around an extra 30-50% of the total cost depending.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 02-08-2008 at 05:57 AM.
02-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

A dual core processor makes a difference with photoshop

simon

02-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
EDIT:
advice #1, find out what type of mother board you have

==========

here is my advice, start saving towards around 800-900 dollars and build yourself a monster PC that will enable you to run whatever the hell you want to run and do it so fast you wont have time to drink coffee.

the trick part is finding a local computer store (preferably a chain) that can sell you computer parts individually, or order online. You basicaly put your own computer together without software, (software is another...um... tricky part) and it will cost you half the money that somebody like DELL will charge you.

and something like 3 times less expensive than a Mac.
02-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Since your using a PC it should be dirt cheap to upgrade your RAM and its one of the easiest things you can do to boost performance.
you find me ram for sale that will fit his mother board, and i might just buy it for him.

he probably has a type 462 or "A" socket mother board
02-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Much of this is speculation since all we know is your processor speed and amount of ram. The speed of your processor should be fine. If it is one of the newer ones it could be 2 core, but with a smaller cache. Your will want to upgrade your ram, IMO.

You didn't mention your graphics card. Not all photo apps rely on graphic card speed/ram, but some rely on it heavily. Lightroom runs just fine on basic onboard video cards, but eats ram for breakfast and is multi-threaded so it runs much better on multi-core processors.

Basically, if your computer is handling the K10 files just fine I would not worry about the K20.

02-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I only have a 3200+ CPU, with 512mb ram, and it's enough to stitch together a 42 image panoramic. Although it's a little slow.

The biggest thing with computers is often the amount of space on your harddrive.
02-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
JMS

I viewed the K20D RAW files with no problem. I'm running 2.53 GHz and 512MB.
02-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
you find me ram for sale that will fit his mother board, and i might just buy it for him.

he probably has a type 462 or "A" socket mother board
tell me what kind of memory he needs, and i'll find it.
02-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
tell me what kind of memory he needs, and i'll find it.
We need to know what motherboard he has. If it is a standard configuration, out of the box computer the model number would tell us. If he built it himself... If he built it himself he probably knows what it takes.
02-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
We need to know what motherboard he has. If it is a standard configuration, out of the box computer the model number would tell us. If he built it himself... If he built it himself he probably knows what it takes.
i was trying to make the point that if he has a 3.3 ghz celeron D processor, i doubt his mobo takes anything older than pc133, which, while expensive, is still available, so gooshin's comment seems a little misplaced.
02-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
i was trying to make the point that if he has a 3.3 ghz celeron D processor, i doubt his mobo takes anything older than pc133, which, while expensive, is still available, so gooshin's comment seems a little misplaced.

A celeron D? Smells DDR, either DDR or DDR2.
02-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
EDIT:
advice #1, find out what type of mother board you have

here is my advice, start saving towards around 800-900 dollars and build yourself a monster PC that will enable you to run whatever the hell you want to run and do it so fast you wont have time to drink coffee.

the trick part is finding a local computer store (preferably a chain) that can sell you computer parts individually, or order online. You basicaly put your own computer together without software, (software is another...um... tricky part) and it will cost you half the money that somebody like DELL will charge you.

and something like 3 times less expensive than a Mac.
Speaking from experience (built my 1st PC about 7 1/2 years ago), you won't save money vs. buying a pre-built PC; it'll probably cost a bit more, in fact. You can't get the volume discount prices that outfits like Dell get on parts, so you're at a cost disadvantage building your own.

What building your own DOES let you do, however, is choose the top-notch components for every piece of your PC to maximize performance and reliablity - with a pre-built, there's usually some compromises on certain bits (that's how they keep their prices competitive while keeping what you "see" high end).
02-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
Speaking from experience (built my 1st PC about 7 1/2 years ago), you won't save money vs. buying a pre-built PC; it'll probably cost a bit more, in fact. You can't get the volume discount prices that outfits like Dell get on parts, so you're at a cost disadvantage building your own.

What building your own DOES let you do, however, is choose the top-notch components for every piece of your PC to maximize performance and reliablity - with a pre-built, there's usually some compromises on certain bits (that's how they keep their prices competitive while keeping what you "see" high end).
Depends a lot on what your needs are.

Example:

Dell Inspiron 530
Intel E4500 (2.2ghz)
1GB DDR2
320GB HDD
19" Widescreen LCD
Blu-ray/DVD combo drive
Windows Vista

Price: $900

Doing a search on Google Shopping, I could find all the parts for this system for a total of $890, including Vista and the Blu-ray drive. Factoring in the shipping costs and the fact you'll have no complete warranty for the system, it's not a good deal.

BUT, you can assembly the same PC, with slightly better specs:
Intel E4500 (2.2ghz)
4GB DDR2
500GB HDD
19" Widescreen LCD
Blu-ray/DVD combo drive

For as little as $700. The Blu-ray drive itself costs almost $200, you can probably live without it so it amounts to $550. Throw in the OS you already have and you paid half the price of the ready made PC, with a lot more memory and disk space. You could even throw in a few more bucks for a better processor. It's very easy to assembly a PC that costs a lot less than what Dell and others can offer and performs far better.

Now back on topic and answering the OP's question, I think that system might handle it if you give some more memory. However, applying a fair amount of post-processing will certainly put a strain on the processor and the slow memory. Don't waste your money on this machine, save for a new one. This PC won't be worth anything for re-sale, there's no point in investing in it.

Oh, stay away from the Celeron processors, they are the deep bottom of the line.