Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-23-2012, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Obscene is a fair and accurate summation. The AUD$ has exceeded USD$ parity for two years now and pricing for a 50-135 in Australia still sits at $1500. A glance at UK pricing suggests they're worse off than we are. I guess the rest of the world are subsidising the States - the scale of the discounts speaks volumes.

No worries here though. After deliberating over the 50-135 and exhausting local options for competitive pricing I went for a second hand Sigma 70-200 2.8 for $500 (with 12 months warranty still on the clock) and couldn't happier. I don't mind admitting that the swing away from a Pentax lens was driven in no small way by the feeling that I was being ripped off. No amount of superior IQ can compensate for that.

11-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow wish I had $1150 laying around for that DA* 60-250!
11-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
Obscene is a fair and accurate summation. The AUD$ has exceeded USD$ parity for two years now and pricing for a 50-135 in Australia still sits at $1500. A glance at UK pricing suggests they're worse off than we are. I guess the rest of the world are subsidising the States - the scale of the discounts speaks volumes.

No worries here though. After deliberating over the 50-135 and exhausting local options for competitive pricing I went for a second hand Sigma 70-200 2.8 for $500 (with 12 months warranty still on the clock) and couldn't happier. I don't mind admitting that the swing away from a Pentax lens was driven in no small way by the feeling that I was being ripped off. No amount of superior IQ can compensate for that.
It ain't all bad the K5 IIs in Australia can be had for AUD$1,197 so pretty close to bhphoto's reduced prices US$1,049. Guess we will never see the old cheaper Pentax prices when i got most of my lenses (thank god).
11-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
The price differences on the DA* 16-50, 50-135 and 60-250 are obscene.
Yes. I was going to get the 16-50 but wussed out and ordered the 50-135.

11-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Got a 300 f4. Almost bought one for $400 more two days ago.
11-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Got a 300 f4. Almost bought one for $400 more two days ago.
Congrats! Pentax has definitely blown away the competition with their Black Friday deals.

I've just updated the lens price comparison table, let me know if there are any inaccuracies:
Black Friday: Pentax Lenses up to 60% Off! - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Congrats! Pentax has definitely blown away the competition with their Black Friday deals.

I've just updated the lens price comparison table, let me know if there are any inaccuracies:
Black Friday: Pentax Lenses up to 60% Off! - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
And at B&H the combo discounts ARE working, some here had reported they were not. I put the K-5IIs + lens in my cart THROUGH THE LINK on the camera page that says get the rebate and I got the $75 off the total in my cart. That drops some of the lenses a significant amount. The 50-200WR for example goes from $179 to $129 when purchased with a camera. Think about $75 off your 50-135 making it <$700 now!

11-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
And at B&H the combo discounts ARE working, some here had reported they were not. I put the K-5IIs + lens in my cart THROUGH THE LINK on the camera page that says get the rebate and I got the $75 off the total in my cart. That drops some of the lenses a significant amount. The 50-200WR for example goes from $179 to $129 when purchased with a camera. Think about $75 off your 50-135 making it <$700 now!
Darn, I otherwise removed that info from the post. Guess it's going back in!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Darn, I otherwise removed that info from the post. Guess it's going back in!
Just trying to help. I was curious about it and gave it a try. Obviously I did not actually pay for the items but the discount did show up in the cart summary prior to committing to pay.

Here is the link on the K-5IIs camera page that I used:

Buy Together & Save
Click Here To Save Additonal $75 on Pentax SMCP-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 Lens

When Purchased Together With This Item
11-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Just trying to help. I was curious about it and gave it a try. Obviously I did not actually pay for the items but the discount did show up in the cart summary prior to committing to pay.
This link is nice and handy- great find!

Adam

11-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #26

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
Nooooo! My F5 key will need replacing again!
F5... HA! I just learned something new. Thanks for that.

And thanks to Adam for his great work and making us save a ton of money.
11-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #27
Site Supporter

This link is nice and handy- great find!

The K-01 was showing at $346 at BH so I ordered it from Ador at $316 and the 50-135 from BH at $749. I didn't realize that BH would include the $75 rebate if I bundled.

(I don't plan on using them together just moving away from m4/3.)
11-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
There's definitely some competition going on- both stores have different deals!

Adam

11-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The K-01 was showing at $346 at BH so I ordered it from Ador at $316 and the 50-135 from BH at $749. I didn't realize that BH would include the $75 rebate if I bundled.

(I don't plan on using them together just moving away from m4/3.)
I don't think you missed anything because the bundling $75 discount ONLY works on in stock items. I can get it to work with the White K-01 but none of the other K-01s because they are listed as out of stock.
11-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #30
Site Supporter

I don't think you missed anything because the bundling $75 discount ONLY works on in stock items. I can get it to work with the White K-01 but none of the other K-01s because they are listed as out of stock.
The white one is the one I order from Ador but I am not going to mess with it because with my luck, one of the items will be depleted when if I were to try it.
Plus, for $7 I got an extended 1 year warranty for the K-01.