Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2008, 03:12 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vincent60 Quote
Oh Lucky Man, please posts photos and impressions as fast as yuo can. I cant' wait.

Vin
I will post the images as soon as I can after the shoot. However as always with the K10D, I will do the shoot at 100 to 200 iso maximum as I have done in most cases. I am seeking maximum resolution for re-production in magazines and eventual images for galleries that will print up to 1.8 1.2 meters. I will use very challenging lighting as usual so the AF reaction will be crucial as usual.

Ben

02-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I'd love to see just a corner from one of your posters that size Ben, just to see the quality your getting.

Would you mind sharing with us what type of paper you prefer.
In my experience the paper seems to make a huge difference with the finished product.
02-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'd love to see just a corner from one of your posters that size Ben, just to see the quality your getting.

Would you mind sharing with us what type of paper you prefer.
In my experience the paper seems to make a huge difference with the finished product.
I do not print the images, they are printed by the galleries.

Ben

LUMAS - Photo. Art. Editions. - BENJAMIN KANAREK - Selection - Black Sky - White Soul I
PhotoVintage.fr - Achat, Vente, Expertise de photos d'art

Sample shown is 3.5 x 5 meters at the Cannes Festival of Fashion shot with the K10D by an employee of Pentax of my poster.
Attached Images

02-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #49
Veteran Member

That image quality looks really good especially when you consider the size.

02-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
That image quality looks really good especially when you consider the size.
Yes, how true. I got the measure: 9cm on my screen

Seriously, I am convinced that the quality is great but how can we know by looking at thumbnails only?
02-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Benjamin, oh man, after all that "blowing Canon an Nikon out of the water", "every fashion photog will be shooting with it" and alike, many people around here are surely mad at you. I am.

Not that I'm really disappointed by the K20D, I intend to upgrade soon.. but it's just an evolutionary update as any other. Where's the catch?

I still haven't seen any samples showing pixel level detail, like the ones leaked from a russian site back in January. Maybe that was a resized Mark III?
02-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K10d

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Benjamin, oh man, after all that "blowing Canon an Nikon out of the water", "every fashion photog will be shooting with it" and alike, many people around here are surely mad at you. I am.

Not that I'm really disappointed by the K20D, I intend to upgrade soon.. but it's just an evolutionary update as any other. Where's the catch?

I still haven't seen any samples showing pixel level detail, like the ones leaked from a russian site back in January. Maybe that was a resized Mark III?
Here is the image, you can read the EXIF info. This was shot with the K10D and blown up to 5 x 3.5 meters. All my images at the Pentax Stand in Paris at the Salon de la Photo were 1.2 x 0.80 meters all shot with the K10D. The K20D will have almost 50 percent more real estate potential.

Go here/

User Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous

Ben

02-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Such work, Benjikan! You've got quite an eye there.
02-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Benjamin, oh man, after all that "blowing Canon an Nikon out of the water", "every fashion photog will be shooting with it"
Wouldn't fashion shooters go for Samsung as it has teh WiFi grip??? Sounds nice for studio work. Not for me though, I don't like to fry my brain.

Curious, would the Samsung grip and the Wifi feature fit the K20D and K10D??
02-26-2008, 06:36 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Here is the image, you can read the EXIF info. This was shot with the K10D and blown up to 5 x 3.5 meters. All my images at the Pentax Stand in Paris at the Salon de la Photo were 1.2 x 0.80 meters all shot with the K10D. The K20D will have almost 50 percent more real estate potential.

Go here/

User Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous

Ben
That's such a great shot. You really know how to use your stuff!

What I mean is you tortured and twisted our souls with hopes of something that would be extraordinary. The K20D seems to be an amazing camera (as I hope to testify in the near future), but it's just not up to the hype you and others helped create. It doesn't seem to be competing with the D300 despite having much better high ISO, dynamic range is still a confusing matter, no significantly better AF which I don't care for much anyway but... you promised!

I think I'll be much happier when one of those is in my hands, but I can't hide the frustration. Hope the K1D makes up for it, even though I won't be able to buy it.
02-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Ricardobeat-

You can't really fault Ben, Chris and the others who built up the K20.

They probably honestly believed the K20 would be a real threat to Canon and Nikon based on hints and information they had been given.
02-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I guess this is why I will keep on hammering with my K10 until fall to see if they really do have a K1D in the mill. My main goal is to get hold of the new DA* 300 f4.0 lens and hope and pray that the results from it are as good as Tom's FA* 300. Every time I go back and look at those last deer shots of Tom's I just drool. Oh well I'll have to wait till next fall to find the old bucks again, but this late spring and summer maybe I'll find some does with small fawns.
02-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's such a great shot. You really know how to use your stuff!

What I mean is you tortured and twisted our souls with hopes of something that would be extraordinary. The K20D seems to be an amazing camera (as I hope to testify in the near future), but it's just not up to the hype you and others helped create. It doesn't seem to be competing with the D300 despite having much better high ISO, dynamic range is still a confusing matter, no significantly better AF which I don't care for much anyway but... you promised!

I think I'll be much happier when one of those is in my hands, but I can't hide the frustration. Hope the K1D makes up for it, even though I won't be able to buy it.
I understand and respect absolutely what you wrote, but isn't it a bit soon to burry it?

It seems the AF IS faster, nothing extraordinary, indeed but still there's might be progress there. As for DR, the DPR discussion is very theoric and as for now there's no single image to confirm this in the real world. Maybe we should try one before judging?

Again, I agree that the hype was a bit.. well that's hype, heh ...
02-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Now, the real thing, not a thumbnail! And now we can judge, too. It is a great shot with great resolution, indeed!

As for the disappointment some of Ben's announcements may have created when the full specs finally came out: We really shouldn't blame him at all! For two reasons:
  • As far as he could know at the time the rumors flew high, the K20D really seemed to bring full frame image quality (# pixels, ISO noise) to a market segment non pros could afford as well.
  • Rumors always create exaggerated expectations nobody can meet (cf. MacBook Air).
02-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I will post the images as soon as I can after the shoot. However as always with the K10D, I will do the shoot at 100 to 200 iso maximum as I have done in most cases. I am seeking maximum resolution for re-production in magazines and eventual images for galleries that will print up to 1.8 1.2 meters. I will use very challenging lighting as usual so the AF reaction will be crucial as usual.
Hi Ben, didn't think that you were using AF ?

Thanks for posting the test snapshots on the Smugmug account, looks great.