Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pro's, Con"s & Questions on K20D

The K10D has proven to be all the camera I “Need” but as a gadget geek I'd like to upgrade to the K20D if it adds enough of the bells and whistles I'd like to have. I've started a list of things I see as Pro and Con items and then a list of questions I need to get answered. I know it's early and I should wait for more reviews but am hoping some of the people that have been lucky enough to have tried it can fill in some of the questions and correct my list of pro and con items if they are wrong.

Pro:
1)Better resolution and more pixels.

2) Lens calibration for 20 lenses including older lenses.

Con:
1)manual lens metering not improved.

2)No histogram in LV.

Questions to be answered:
1)Is low light AF speed improved in AF-C. There have been several threads that stated you can select an option in AF-C mode to eliminate the focus check that Pentax uses and gain speed at the cost of accuracy.

2)What is the noise compared to K10D. I find ISO 800 usable 80% of the time with the K10D. With that as a criteria, how does the K20D compare.

3)Can you fine tune focusing easily with LV while on a tripod.

We all have different needs and wants so these are just mine. Once I get these questions answered I'll decide if I'll get one and at what price.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

Ken

02-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Questions to be answered:
2)What is the noise compared to K10D. I find ISO 800 usable 80% of the time with the K10D. With that as a criteria, how does the K20D compare.
Ken
???
Low noise at high ISO - compared to the k10d (and other DSLR's in the price range), is one of the major selling points of the k20d. I think this has been extensively covered - the noise is very low at high ISO's, and at low ISO it is also spectacular.
02-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

there are no CONS, so to speak

the K20D is everything the K10D WAS plus MORE, they didnt, as far as i know, downgrade anything.
02-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
1)Is low light AF speed improved in AF-C. There have been several threads that stated you can select an option in AF-C mode to eliminate the focus check that Pentax uses and gain speed at the cost of accuracy.
K20D's AF-C also has a "take photo after focus lock" mode (aka "Trap Focus") in addition the "take picture of nothing in focus when I click the shutter button mode" that is currently uses :-)

ken

02-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
there are no CONS, so to speak
The only thing I can see is that the files are larger, therefore one will need more and/or larger SD cards, as well as more hard disk space and/or RAM and/or a more powerful CPU in their computer.

But strictly photographically-speaking, you're right.
02-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
K20D's AF-C also has a "take photo after focus lock" mode (aka "Trap Focus") in addition the "take picture of nothing in focus when I click the shutter button mode" that is currently uses :-)

ken

And that how should be different from AF-S?
02-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster

ken
But does the "trap Focus" mode speed speed up the AF and if so by how much?

02-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

K20D's AF-C also has a "take photo after focus lock" mode (aka "Trap Focus")
That's not how I understood the new AF option to work. It is supposed to disable the AF "fine-tuning" the camera does after the first AF operation (i.e. trade AF precision for speed).
02-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
And that how should be different from AF-S?
If you take a bunch of photos by holding the shutter down w/ AF-S, I think it only locks once and then takes the next set of pictures w/ the focus locked in the same spot. AF-C should keep locking before each photo depending on what is under the focus point indicator that is chosen.

There is also an option for AF-S mode to turn off the double check (not the same as trap focus mode in AF-C). This should speed up the apparent AF time at the expense of focus accuracy.

Again, this is how I understand the new options to work. Maybe Codiac or someone who has actually played w/ the K20D can confirm...