Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,949
Original Poster
This lens is now available!


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Doesn't matter what they call it, because it's still using Tamron's motor. Tamron guy at Photokina confirmed that it's literally the same lens, off the record.
Not even any changes in the coatings used?
12-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,949
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Not even any changes in the coatings used?
Nope, same lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
Forum Member
Heelers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 57
So why is it $250 more than a Tamron branded cannon copy? It looks like Pentax is really screwing up on lens pricing. I'll be shooting some indoor horseshows and ill need something in a f/2.8 70-200 and the Pentax are nuts on pricing. Excited for my K-30 but also still thinking on returning it because of lens pricing.

12-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,949
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heelers Quote
So why is it $250 more than a Tamron branded cannon copy? It looks like Pentax is really screwing up on lens pricing. I'll be shooting some indoor horseshows and ill need something in a f/2.8 70-200 and the Pentax are nuts on pricing. Excited for my K-30 but also still thinking on returning it because of lens pricing.
You got it in the second sentence there

Get yourself the Sigma 70-200mm, it's actually a good value and has a discount for another 4 weeks:
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM for Pentax 589109 B&H

BTW, as if the $799 price tag wasn't already bad enough, has anyone else noticed that B&H isn't offering free shipping on the new 18-270mm?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2012, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,934
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
BTW, as if the $799 price tag wasn't already bad enough, has anyone else noticed that B&H isn't offering free shipping on the new 18-270mm?
Hard to blame Pentax for this.

I guess it is safe to assume that dealers will make a very good margin on the Pentax 18-270mm. They may not be willing/able to avoid MAP, but they could offer free shipping.

What irks me is that I cannot opt for a Tamron version of that lens, sold at a reasonable price. Same with Tokina lenses.
12-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,949
Original Poster
Who knows- maybe the in-store prices will be lower. I will look into that next year (once B&H reps realize that this lens actually exists )

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What irks me is that I cannot opt for a Tamron version of that lens, sold at a reasonable price. Same with Tokina lenses.
Yeah, sounds like Pentax is up to something (they must be working closely with Tamron). Who knows, maybe they're plotting to work together to release a new FF lens lineup...

Was it the same story with the 18-250mm a few years ago?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #23
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,934
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Was it the same story with the 18-250mm a few years ago?
No, the Pentax 18-250 was available as an original Tamron lens with a K-mount as well. I have a copy. Very good, for what it is. Not sure about the price difference.

People argued about the coatings being different, but to the best of my knowledge the only difference was that the Pentax version was fully supported regarding in-camera lens corrections whereas the Tamron only appeared to receive minimal corrections.

It wasn't an issue for me since a) I'd never use in-camera lens corrections, and b) my camera doesn't support in-camera lens corrections anyhow.

12-17-2012, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #24
Senior Member
Jatcat's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fairfield County, Connecticut, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 100
Adorama Has Free Shipping on the DA 18-270

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You got it in the second sentence there

Get yourself the Sigma 70-200mm, it's actually a good value and has a discount for another 4 weeks:
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM for Pentax 589109 B&H

BTW, as if the $799 price tag wasn't already bad enough, has anyone else noticed that B&H isn't offering free shipping on the new 18-270mm?

But Adorama is shipping it for free.....

Pentax SMCP-DA 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 ED SDM Telephoto Zoom Lens 21497

12-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
Wow, Pentax prices are a joke!
12-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,949
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jatcat Quote
BUT they don't have it yet

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,949
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
No, the Pentax 18-250 was available as an original Tamron lens with a K-mount as well. I have a copy. Very good, for what it is. Not sure about the price difference.

People argued about the coatings being different, but to the best of my knowledge the only difference was that the Pentax version was fully supported regarding in-camera lens corrections whereas the Tamron only appeared to receive minimal corrections.

It wasn't an issue for me since a) I'd never use in-camera lens corrections, and b) my camera doesn't support in-camera lens corrections anyhow.
Speaking of coatings, a Pentax engineer at Photokina mumbled that SMC nowadays is basically the same coating that competitors offer- so I wouldn't expect the Tamron to do any worse.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #28
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,934
QuoteOriginally posted by Jatcat Quote
But Adorama is shipping it for free.....
Yay, Adorama.
12-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
RollsUp's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: AK USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,389
QuoteOriginally posted by Jatcat Quote
But Adorama is shipping it for free.....
48 Contiguous States only.
12-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,939
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
This lens should be half this price AND include WR...Maaaaybe 600 bucks max, and even with WR that's stretching it.
The Tamron is selling for 650 in all mounts where it is available. I don't see anyway that Tamron would let Pentax undercut their price by 50 dollars.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
availability, pentax, pentax da 18-270mm, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax-DA 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 ED availability / sample pics? DrRzvn Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 12-07-2012 01:34 PM
Pentax-DA 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 ED SDM Lens - Availablity thomasw Ask B&H Photo! 2 10-23-2012 01:25 AM
smc PENTAX DA 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 ED SDM - First Photokina Video ogunturkay Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 09-22-2012 08:35 AM
PENTAX Announces Two New K-Mount Lenses smc PENTAX DA 18-270mm F3.5-5.6 ED SDM zoom l Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 8 09-17-2012 05:29 AM
sell pentax DA-L 55-300mm for tammy 18-250mm or 18-270mm? boosted03gti Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 30 04-28-2010 07:21 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top