Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax DA 18-270mm Now Shipping

We finally know a bit more about the availability of the Tamron Pentax 18-270mm: it should arrive next week, just in time for Christmas!
"Estimated availability: December 17, 2012"

Pentax smc Pentax-DA 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 ED SDM Lens 21497 B&H

Edit: now in stock as of 12/17!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Tamron Pentax, exactly...just a lot more expensive hahaha
PS : They should invent a holiday called Black Year, eh?
12-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Earlier reviews of the Canon/Nikon builds of this lens say it has sharpness and CA problems - of course with such an extreme focal range the designers must have made all kinds of trade-offs.
12-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
Earlier reviews of the Canon/Nikon builds of this lens say it has sharpness and CA problems - of course with such an extreme focal range the designers must have made all kinds of trade-offs.
But at least with this lens, you know what you're going to be getting up front- no need to read reviews later

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Funnily enough, on 21 December Sigma are also releasing their 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO HSM in Pentax mount (in Japan).

Xmas is clearly the time for super-zooms.
12-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any thoughts on why this is SDM and not DC? And why they would use the term SDM after all of the negative publicity?
12-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Any thoughts on why this is SDM and not DC? And why they would use the term SDM after all of the negative publicity?
Well, I guess the question is how much input Pentax had in designing anything in the lens, other than putting a Pentax lens on an otherwise completely Tamron lens (including their VC motor). They can call it what they like, but it is still Tamron's lens and the biggest issue is that it is priced a hundred dollars higher than the Tamron 18-270 in other mounts.

12-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Doesn't matter what they call it, because it's still using Tamron's motor. Tamron guy at Photokina confirmed that it's literally the same lens, off the record.

Adam

12-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This lens should be half this price AND include WR...Maaaaybe 600 bucks max, and even with WR that's stretching it.
12-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
This lens should be half this price AND include WR...Maaaaybe 600 bucks max, and even with WR that's stretching it.
Yup. I doubt it will ever fall below $649 though, given the way it went with the 18-135mm and how Tamron is pricing their lens.

Adam

12-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Forum Member

All this expensive lens talk is making me think I should return the K-30 Santa is brining me and go shopping for something else, dare I say maybe a Sony or the new Nikon 5100. I'm really starting to have second thoughts with Pentax basically fixing prices ..... What to do?
12-15-2012, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heelers Quote
All this expensive lens talk is making me think I should return the K-30 Santa is brining me and go shopping for something else, dare I say maybe a Sony or the new Nikon 5100. I'm really starting to have second thoughts with Pentax basically fixing prices ..... What to do?
Truth be told, Nikon consumer gear is cheaper than Pentax consumer gear at the moment. However, if you call Adorama 800-815-0664, you should be quoted their in-store prices, which are lower than many online prices (equivalent to the pre-UPP prices generally speaking). Alternatively, you can e-mail Jacob Waldner at jwaldner@adorama.com. Mention that you came from PF and he might even give you a better price than what customer service can do.

Adam

12-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Truth be told, Nikon consumer gear is cheaper than Pentax consumer gear at the moment. However, if you call Adorama 800-815-0664, you should be quoted their in-store prices, which are lower than many online prices (equivalent to the pre-UPP prices generally speaking). Alternatively, you can e-mail Jacob Waldner at jwaldner@adorama.com. Mention that you came from PF and he might even give you a better price than what customer service can do.
Cool, Thank you very much. I've been looking at some goodies and was not having much luck finding any sort of deal. I'll check into this for sure!
12-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

For Pentax lens, there are affordable selections - starting from the 35/2.4, the 50/1.8, the kit lens, the DA 55-300 even included, plus all the Tamrons and Sigmas and SamYangs.

Nikon does have some good entry level lens prices but as soon as you step away from those you are certainly no longer talking about bargain pricing.
12-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
For Pentax lens, there are affordable selections - starting from the 35/2.4, the 50/1.8, the kit lens, the DA 55-300 even included, plus all the Tamrons and Sigmas and SamYangs.

Nikon does have some good entry level lens prices but as soon as you step away from those you are certainly no longer talking about bargain pricing.
What hurts is Nikons f/1.8 line-up. Ouch for Pentax. They need to fix this for their FF offering.