Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
This lens is now available!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Doesn't matter what they call it, because it's still using Tamron's motor. Tamron guy at Photokina confirmed that it's literally the same lens, off the record.
Not even any changes in the coatings used?
12-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Not even any changes in the coatings used?
Nope, same lens.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
Forum Member

So why is it $250 more than a Tamron branded cannon copy? It looks like Pentax is really screwing up on lens pricing. I'll be shooting some indoor horseshows and ill need something in a f/2.8 70-200 and the Pentax are nuts on pricing. Excited for my K-30 but also still thinking on returning it because of lens pricing.

12-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heelers Quote
So why is it $250 more than a Tamron branded cannon copy? It looks like Pentax is really screwing up on lens pricing. I'll be shooting some indoor horseshows and ill need something in a f/2.8 70-200 and the Pentax are nuts on pricing. Excited for my K-30 but also still thinking on returning it because of lens pricing.
You got it in the second sentence there

Get yourself the Sigma 70-200mm, it's actually a good value and has a discount for another 4 weeks:
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM for Pentax 589109 B&H

BTW, as if the $799 price tag wasn't already bad enough, has anyone else noticed that B&H isn't offering free shipping on the new 18-270mm?

Adam

12-17-2012, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

BTW, as if the $799 price tag wasn't already bad enough, has anyone else noticed that B&H isn't offering free shipping on the new 18-270mm?
Hard to blame Pentax for this.

I guess it is safe to assume that dealers will make a very good margin on the Pentax 18-270mm. They may not be willing/able to avoid MAP, but they could offer free shipping.

What irks me is that I cannot opt for a Tamron version of that lens, sold at a reasonable price. Same with Tokina lenses.
12-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Who knows- maybe the in-store prices will be lower. I will look into that next year (once B&H reps realize that this lens actually exists )

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What irks me is that I cannot opt for a Tamron version of that lens, sold at a reasonable price. Same with Tokina lenses.
Yeah, sounds like Pentax is up to something (they must be working closely with Tamron). Who knows, maybe they're plotting to work together to release a new FF lens lineup...

Was it the same story with the 18-250mm a few years ago?

Adam

12-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Was it the same story with the 18-250mm a few years ago?
No, the Pentax 18-250 was available as an original Tamron lens with a K-mount as well. I have a copy. Very good, for what it is. Not sure about the price difference.

People argued about the coatings being different, but to the best of my knowledge the only difference was that the Pentax version was fully supported regarding in-camera lens corrections whereas the Tamron only appeared to receive minimal corrections.

It wasn't an issue for me since a) I'd never use in-camera lens corrections, and b) my camera doesn't support in-camera lens corrections anyhow.
12-17-2012, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #24

Adorama Has Free Shipping on the DA 18-270

You got it in the second sentence there

Get yourself the Sigma 70-200mm, it's actually a good value and has a discount for another 4 weeks:
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM for Pentax 589109 B&H

But Adorama is shipping it for free.....

Pentax SMCP-DA 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 ED SDM Telephoto Zoom Lens 21497

12-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, Pentax prices are a joke!
12-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jatcat Quote
BUT they don't have it yet

Adam

12-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
No, the Pentax 18-250 was available as an original Tamron lens with a K-mount as well. I have a copy. Very good, for what it is. Not sure about the price difference.

People argued about the coatings being different, but to the best of my knowledge the only difference was that the Pentax version was fully supported regarding in-camera lens corrections whereas the Tamron only appeared to receive minimal corrections.

It wasn't an issue for me since a) I'd never use in-camera lens corrections, and b) my camera doesn't support in-camera lens corrections anyhow.
Speaking of coatings, a Pentax engineer at Photokina mumbled that SMC nowadays is basically the same coating that competitors offer- so I wouldn't expect the Tamron to do any worse.

Adam

12-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Yay, Adorama.
12-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

48 Contiguous States only.
12-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
This lens should be half this price AND include WR...Maaaaybe 600 bucks max, and even with WR that's stretching it.
The Tamron is selling for 650 in all mounts where it is available. I don't see anyway that Tamron would let Pentax undercut their price by 50 dollars.