Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #166
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good stuff Heie. Look forward to hearing how you go with the interview.

01-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I was just offered an opportunity to speak with Mr. Malcom. It is currently very tentatively the end of January (right now 28 Jan), or even into the first week of February. Not only does it depend on his schedule, but much more difficult to definitively pinpoint would be my own schedule since I would be calling from Afghanistan. Of note is that at that time we will be very involved in our preparations and movement home from Afghanistan

I literally received my email last night, which means that Mr. Malcolm and his secretaries and still going through what I would assume is an onslaught of emails, still affording some of us the opportunity to take advantage of his desire to listen to us. To be honest I had completely forgotten about the email I sent to Pentax, and even seeing the email's subject line of "Re: Mr. Malcolm EVP Q&A" had me extremely confused until I opened it and remembered. So have faith that Mr. Malcolm is still offering more interviews and he isn't done yet. At least not as of late on 9 January

More to follow...

-Heie
Good news indeed. Are you going to mention your viral videos?
01-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Good news indeed. Are you going to mention your viral videos?
I'm pretty sure that's how I got the interview slot - I made sure they knew exactly who that specific email was written by and added the youtube link just to make sure

I've got a few ideas of what to discuss....my new Pentax K-5 IIs is supposedly on the back of a pony somewhere, so hopefully it gets here in time so I can discuss my feelings on the K-7 --> K-5 --> K-30 --> K-5 IIs evolution as I've experienced it. Aside from that, I had read every post in this thread and have taken notes on what has been addressed, what hasn't, and what should be addressed again (at least what has been disclosed here). I will also go through some of the other threads (i.e. Dear Pentax) and take notes from there as well. I plan to make the most of that phone call

If possible (and with his permission), I will try to record the conversation with the intent of posting it here, but don't place any bets on that happening. First it's figuring out how (the phones here make it very difficult), and then it's the approval lol.

-Heie

P.S...watch out over the next few days in the Post your photos! subforum....I should finally get to posting all my pictures from New Zealand - it will be epic!

P.S.S. in case anyone is new here and is not aware of what video Doc and I are referring to, I've embedded it below:

01-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #169
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure that's how I got the interview slot - I made sure they knew exactly who that specific email was written by and added the youtube link just to make sure

I've got a few ideas of what to discuss....my new Pentax K-5 IIs is supposedly on the back of a pony somewhere, so hopefully it gets here in time so I can discuss my feelings on the K-7 --> K-5 --> K-30 --> K-5 IIs evolution as I've experienced it. Aside from that, I had read every post in this thread and have taken notes on what has been addressed, what hasn't, and what should be addressed again (at least what has been disclosed here). I will also go through some of the other threads (i.e. Dear Pentax) and take notes from there as well. I plan to make the most of that phone call

If possible (and with his permission), I will try to record the conversation with the intent of posting it here, but don't place any bets on that happening. First it's figuring out how (the phones here make it very difficult), and then it's the approval lol.

-Heie

P.S...watch out over the next few days in the Post your photos! subforum....I should finally get to posting all my pictures from New Zealand - it will be epic!

P.S.S. in case anyone is new here and is not aware of what video Doc and I are referring to, I've embedded it below:

PENTAX DUST AND WEATHER SEALING IN AFGHANISTAN - YouTube
I should have known that you would tackle this like an engineering challenge. I'm eagerly awaiting, patiently, your report on your call.

01-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #170

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Jim said Pentax was surprised by the sudden drop in FF retail prices. My point was that this development should not have come as a surprise to them. Ever since the A850, anyone believing that FF prices can continue to be outrageously high was living on borrowed time, AFAIC. The A850/900 didn't work out for Sony, but there were a number of reasons for that. Falconeye also made a number of good points as to why it is only a matter of time till FF will be a cheaper option for a certain IQ than APS-C. No APS-C camera can compete with an FF camera that offers higher IQ for a lower price (lenses included).

In my book, when you are late to the party, you cannot assume that the status quo will still be there when you finally arrive. You have to aim for the context that will be in place once you have arrived to the party. For Pentax that translates into the need to having realised a while ago that when they are finally laying their FF-egg, then it won't be placed in the nice "high price"-structure nest that existed while they were still hesitating.

I don't want to be hard on Pentax and realise that they were heavily constrained under Hoya. But I'm really surprised that Pentax claims to have been surprised by the FF-price structure development. Maybe they should secure the services of falconeye. They would not have been surprised then (among other benefits). Note that Falk did not just make a lucky guess, but systematically argued why the development is inevitable. Maybe some industry players were counting on the process to take a little bit longer, but there should definitely not been an element of surprise for anyone.

True, but with the current level of "jumping ship"-activity (not helped by MAP games), every month feels precious.

Yes, APS-C still has its place. But is has become a smaller place and it will continue to shrink in the future (definitely with respect to its use for mounts that support larger formats).
I generally agree with you. I suppose FF is good idea and pic. engines in Pentax cameras are well know - therefor it might not be a bad idea to win some PRO photographers back - generally open PRO market. So those, who starts now with K30, K5 and being serious has place to grow with mark.
I really hope K mount will keep existing.
01-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea how the laws work regarding different states, different countries, etc. but I remember from my student journalism days that as long as ONE of the parties is aware that a call is being recorded, then it is okay (ie. no eavesdropping and recording another conversation). Honestly though, who knows what the laws and bylaws are like right now.

In any case, I recorded my conversation not so that I could post it (I will NOT), but it was so I could accurately quote Mr. Malcolm on the things he said, since with some of this stuff a misinterpreted statement can fuel all kinds of bad rumors and speculation.

Also, the recording makes kind of a nice photography "souvenir". I like to imagine that I will forget about the recording file, and far far into the future I will come upon it again and listen and enjoy it.

My recording solution was pretty low-tech: I simply talked with Mr. Malcolm on speaker phone, and recorded our conversation through a voice recorder program on my laptop. It's plenty clear enough to hear what both of us are saying. You can even hear me sipping coffee sometimes.

Good luck with your conversation! You can provide that ultra-enthusiast viewpoint that I don't think has been encountered by him yet.
01-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I have no idea how the laws work regarding different states, different countries, etc. but I remember from my student journalism days that as long as ONE of the parties is aware that a call is being recorded, then it is okay (ie. no eavesdropping and recording another conversation). Honestly though, who knows what the laws and bylaws are like right now.

In any case, I recorded my conversation not so that I could post it (I will NOT), but it was so I could accurately quote Mr. Malcolm on the things he said, since with some of this stuff a misinterpreted statement can fuel all kinds of bad rumors and speculation.

Also, the recording makes kind of a nice photography "souvenir". I like to imagine that I will forget about the recording file, and far far into the future I will come upon it again and listen and enjoy it.

My recording solution was pretty low-tech: I simply talked with Mr. Malcolm on speaker phone, and recorded our conversation through a voice recorder program on my laptop. It's plenty clear enough to hear what both of us are saying. You can even hear me sipping coffee sometimes.

Good luck with your conversation! You can provide that ultra-enthusiast viewpoint that I don't think has been encountered by him yet.
The law varies WIDELY from State to State in the US. Best not to do so unless you either have all parties permission or KNOW the laws that apply.
01-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #173
Veteran Member

The law varies WIDELY from State to State in the US. Best not to do so unless you either have all parties permission or KNOW the laws that apply.
I think Heie should follow your advice because he stated his intentions of posting the recording online for all of us to hear.

01-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #174
Veteran Member

Do fellow pentaxians think it is a good idea to ask the pentax rep about Jun Hirakawa? Any chance of him being hired again to work his magic on future lenses?
01-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #175
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FYI, along the same lines, some federal laws require both parties consent as well, so if a conversation goes across state lines, you may need both parties to consent to a recording.
01-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #176
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have any women been called?
I was one of the early submissions, and I got a confirmation e-mail, but no one has called me.
What gives?
01-11-2013, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Have any women been called?
I was one of the early submissions, and I got a confirmation e-mail, but no one has called me.
What gives?
You know as well as I do that women do not make discretionary spending decisions about electronics in US households - geesh
01-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter

Be sure Mr. Malcolm knows about the Metafilter linking. That kind of uncsolicited endorsement is manna from heaven to a Marketing person. (Congrats again, BTW - that was reaaly cool to see!).
01-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Do fellow pentaxians think it is a good idea to ask the pentax rep about Jun Hirakawa? Any chance of him being hired again to work his magic on future lenses?
I don't see a point for that, because Jun Hirakawa has already been hired back
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/199899-hirakawa-jun-ba...tax-ricoh.html
01-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #180
Pentaxian

That thread is only a collection of guesses and unconfirmed rumors.