Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 12:32 PM - 8 Likes   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Completed the interview...

Mr. Malcolm called me and we had the interview today. Extremely pleasant guy and easy to talk to and I share the sentiments that he is very passionate about photography himself. This is fantastic news for Pentax as I see it. Yes it will take some time for his presence to really make a difference and for us to notice it, but it is great news. He's not just another exec that collects a pay check and rules from afar.

I asked in the very beginning of the phone call if I could have his permission to record and ultimately share the conversation, and he approved of that request.

I was expecting about 25 min and getting cut short because his secretary told me that he had a meeting at 0900 and our interview started at 0830 (his time). Either she lied or he canceled that meeting (I of course assume the latter ), because he stayed on the phone for 1 hour and 15 minutes! 75 minutes!

The entire recording can be found here should you be so inclined to listen to it.

Chirbit - Jim Malcolm Interview with "Heie,"... - alexjansen31 - share audio easily

Should you not have the patience to listen to such a long interview (I don't blame you ), the quick and dirty of what we talked about:
  • My history and introduction in photography and ultimately into Pentax
  • The video I made where I poured sand on my cameras and rinsed them off in the shower
    • Along similar lines, use water/dust demonstrations every time there's a camera showing
  • The "Image of Pentax" and how to improve it
    • SDM repairs as it pertains to the perception of Pentax's lens reliability and overall perception as a legitimate company to invest in
    • Embarrassing 1-year warranties as they pertain to Pentax's lens reliability and overall perception as a legitimate company to invest in
    • Press releases such as Canon's admittance of an issue and Nikon's continued ignorance of theirs
    • Pentax can't afford to have a poor image
  • Advertising and Marketing
    • Mobilizing the user base (all of us) via motivational promotions that has *us* do the work and create the promotions and advertising
      • Creating photos or videos as a contest
      • Lens and/or camera would be the prize
    • "It's Good to be Fearless" marketing campaign that I created
      • Didn't take off, but was a good example of how easy it could be and completely free to Pentax
    • Current WG-3 promotion - "Pin it to Win it"
  • Pentax Photo Gallery and PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery
    • Balancing the image of Pentax is "superlative" and "open to everyone - not just elitist and the pros"
  • Primes
    • My shooting style and desire to embrace primes more
    • Didn't bring up wide/normal sealed lens because another poster mentioned it wasn't even in development, so I chose to bypass the topic
  • Full Frame
    • Full Frame is indeed being developed and will come eventually, but no details on when or how
    • Gap between APS-C and 645D is $15-20,000, which is an incredibly large pill to swallow
    • New idea of mine: create FF camera that is 100% "classic" camera - no video. Launch in K-5ish body, release with 50 f/1.4 lens for $999 kit.
      • Launch a photographer's camera that has zero video, targetting students, photographers and nostalgic shooters of yesteryear
        • I personally have never used video...EVER - why pay more for something I never use?
        • Bring Pentax back to the K1000/LX roots
  • Mount Commitment
    • "We are dedicated to the Q, K, and 645 mounts."
  • My generation and our motivations
    • I'm 25
    • My generation is about sharing and recognition
      • "My generation is a bunch of narcissists"
  • Workflow and Post Processing
    • Import into Lightroom
    • My process and how it isn't so defined
    • That I'm colorblind (technically red-green color deficient - I see colors just have an issue with hues and tints and shades) and how I *HATE* tuning white balance lol
    • His assumption that my ignorance of attention to colors allows me to focus on tones?
      • Interesting theory...never considered it myself
  • Hoya's destruction of the company and "putting Pentax out to Pasture" (his words) that soiled many relationships with retailers
  • Ricoh's offerings and how they're exciting
  • Pentax Exposure
    • Seek out outdoor/adventure communities and loan a camera for free (K-30/18-135 was my suggestion) for a day and advise to use it; don't put it away just keep it out and shoot without fear
      • Bikers, hikers, rock climbers, military (?), etc
  • Legitimizing Pentax's Weather Sealing Claims
    • Using IP Codes
    • I would assess the cameras with WR/DA*/AW lenses as IP55W
    • Standardizing and legitimizing would enhance credibility
  • He's currently in a phase of predominately collecting information and has not made any sweeping decisions until he has the information he needs to drive forward
  • His appreciation for my service as a United States Army officer and my deployment photography
"I honestly believe that the reason I accepted the position and challenge that we have here is that there is a day that Canon, Nikon and Pentax/Ricoh are the imaging brands and the imaging companies of the future."

Again, I found him incredibly affable, easy to make laugh and joke around with, and most importantly down to earth and not above you or me.

Also, I learned that I used "um" a bit more than I previously thought

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 02-27-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typo
02-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for going to bat for us, Alex. I personally think PR should hire you as an ambassador.

Jack
02-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i've read your homework, and your post.

I'm 100% with you i wouldn't have better said all those things.

The IP rule is a great idea, like the user base ad.

That's good to see that the guy on the phone, is really passionate. To listen to all those pentaxian, you need to love what you do !!

Great work
02-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #229
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
The entire recording can be found here should you be so inclined to listen to it.
Thanks so much, Heie!

I've started to listen and you both come across as great guys!

From the little I heard I can already tell that Jim is a very smart person and it is absolutely great to have someone like him at the helm.

I'm going to listen some more now...

Thanks again, top job, Heie!

02-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #230

Focus peaking on the K5/K5II would be nice.
02-28-2013, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #231

Took the time to listen to the entire audio while working in the studio this morning.

First, thank you for taking the time and effort to record it, and post it.

My only comment concerns the SDM issue.

If there is no problem, then Pentax should put a 5 year warranty on SDM lenses and put their money where their mouth is. If there's no problem, it wont cost them anything. It's a free fix.

They have the power to create instant credibility, but it appears, not the will.

One has to wonder why that is?

In the mean time, the "perception" will continue. Living your whole life with your head in the sand makes it hard to see what's going on around you.......
02-28-2013, 08:26 AM - 2 Likes   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildimages Quote
If there's no problem, it wont cost them anything. It's a free fix.
Warranties are NOT free. They have a REAL cost that is accounted for in the cost, sale price and profit of every warranted product.

Warranties are a REAL liability on the balance sheet of every publicly traded corporation. Ricoh adheres to US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), so they cost and price and include their warranties as a Liability, which is a current reduction to company valuation, not an imaginary future potential cost.

That's not to say they shouldn't have a different warranty policy, but they're NOT in any way FREE.

02-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #233
Veteran Member

Took the time to listen to the entire audio while working in the studio this morning.

First, thank you for taking the time and effort to record it, and post it.

My only comment concerns the SDM issue.

If there is no problem, then Pentax should put a 5 year warranty on SDM lenses and put their money where their mouth is. If there's no problem, it wont cost them anything. It's a free fix.

They have the power to create instant credibility, but it appears, not the will.

One has to wonder why that is?

In the mean time, the "perception" will continue. Living your whole life with your head in the sand makes it hard to see what's going on around you.......
Excellent point. The survey here is pretty conclusive for many of us. Some just can't believe that Pentax isn't perfect (they'll protest, while they're singing hymns) but the SDM issue is a real one - even if its only perception. Your point is excellent - if THEY BELIEVE its not an issue then solve the PR problem by putting a warranty on it that matches the other industry options available. If it is not a problem, as some assert, then there is NO REAL cost to Pentax to do so - despite what others may assert.
02-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #234
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
there is NO REAL cost to Pentax
There IS a very real cost.
02-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
... The entire recording can be found here should you be so inclined to listen to it.

Chirbit - Jim Malcolm Interview with "Heie,"... - alexjansen31 - share audio easily ...
Thanks for sharing this!
02-28-2013, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #236

You say there IS a cost......I say there is a benefit that out weights any cost of adding a 5 year warranty to SDM Lens.

How many people will not buy an SDM lens because of the "perceived" issue? What is that cost to Pentax? How much money do they lose by people buying third party lenses??

If Pentax announced that from now on, all SDM lens will have a 5 year warranty, would there be an increase in sales of SDM lens?

How much would Pentax benefit from selling more of their high dollar glass?

Is it possible that the increased sales will offset the "cost" of a 5 year warranty on SDM lens?

Is it possible that a 5 year warranty on SDM glass will foster additional sales of Pentax camera bodies and other lens as well?

Is it possible that a 5 year warranty on SDM glass will improve Pentax's reputation in the market place?

Is it possible that a 5 year warranty on SDM glass will put the issue of SDM failures to bed for good?

Is it possible that the cost of extending the warranty will be far outweighed by all the other benefits Pentax will reap?

Is it???
02-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #237
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're dealing in the possible. I'm dealing in the certain.

Only Pentax can know the possible answers to all your questions. I certainly don't.

But I certainly DO know a Warranty isn't free. It adds to the cost-to-manufacturer of the product.

Clearly, Pentax chooses not to add that cost to their lenses.

And equally clearly, I never wrote that they should NOT extend their general Warranties - only that a Warranty isn't free. A Waranty has a cost, just as real as glass and aluminum.

Would all of your questions still be asked if they added the Warranty and increased the price of each product by the cost of the Warranty? Would the answers stay the same if the added cost was reflected in the price?

Would Pentax possibly cease to exist if they reduced the margin on their offerings by extending Warranties without compensation?

I certainly don't know.
02-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #238

QuoteQuote:
You're dealing in the possible. I'm dealing in the certain.
So, if Pentax came out this afternoon and said that all SDM lenses sold from this day forward would have a 5 year warranty, you are certain that there would be no benefit to Pentax?

Are you just as certain that if Pentax increased the price of their lenses because they put a 5 year warranty on them, that people wouldn't be smart enough to figure out that Pentax still had an SDM issue, and was simply using smoke and mirrors to determine when customers were going to for those future repairs?

In other words, Pentax would be telling the customer, we'll either give you a one year warranty and let you pay for repairs out of your pocket when you need them, or, we will charge you for those repairs now, and say it is because we've increased the warranty period, and fix any problems you have for the next 5 years, but either way, because there is an issue with SDM, you WILL end up paying for repairs. The old, 'you can pay me now, or you can pay me later' scam.

I am quite "certain" that at least a few people on this forum would be smart enough to see right through that scam.

On the other hand, if there isn't an issue, and it is only a perception, I CERTAINLY think the benefit to Pentax is going to outweigh any cost of increasing the warranty period. After all, if there is no problem, how can there be any cost associated with fixing it?
02-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #239
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
SDM issue is a real one - even if its only perception
Not a perception; it's quite real. And what's more of a joke is that it has gone largely ignored by Pentax.
02-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After all, if there is no problem, how can there be any cost associated with fixing it?
I suggest you read my post again.

1. I have no idea what would happen under any of the conditions you propose (and neither do you, unless you can show me your proper double-blind marketing studies), and I never said I did.
2. I never suggested Pentax should, nor should they not, change their warranty policies.
3. There IS a cost, because there is. You saying over and over that there is no cost if there is no problem doesn't change the fact that there is a cost. I explained the cost.

Whether you choose to accept and understand that Pentax makes business decisions for business reasons or choose not to is entirely your choice. I presume Pentax has reasonably competent business managers who make decisions for reasonably valid business reasons. Any other supposition must suggest Pentax is managed by incompetents.

You surely aren't suggesting Pentax is managed by incompetents.