Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cscurrier Quote
Honestly, though... If anyone schedules a call and manages to talk with him, let us know what jokes he has to tell! I'm very curious now!
Pentax has already played a joke on us ...
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That email address to Jim doesn't seem to be working...
Hah! That's a bummer.... Sorry for posting false hopes. Perhaps they weren't expecting anyone to follow through??
....I guess that they really don't want to hear from us..... ... He could have come to this Forum to talk with Pentax users...

But, just in case - Then there is the little issue of the lens release [BUTTON] falling off - (and that is the 4th thread on the issue - well over 15 pages of posts, already).....

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-16-2012 at 05:04 AM.
12-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #17

Would promising a FF camera be one of the jokes?

(Meant in good spirit - I really like their products)
12-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

23 Full Frame Packages via B&H, none are Pentax

Incase Pentax-Ricoh in USA missed this,
For Christmas 2012 B&H offers 23 full frame dslr packages & none are Pentax Brand:

DSLR Cameras| B&H Photo Video

D600 when bundled with the lens & extra bits & 4% back via B&H gift card cost about the same as K-5II at B&H for Christmas 2012:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892428-REG/Nikon_D600_Digital_Camera_with.html

Point out to him Pentax was one of the first to announce Full Frame, Feb 2001, just about 12 years ago:

Pentax 6mp Digital SLR hands-on: Digital Photography Review
12-16-2012, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do not participate in Facebook.

We already have a Dear Pentax thread.

If Jim can't find it, or any of the other similar threads, too bad.

12-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
An API for firmware hacks, and active support for developers.
Yeah a remote control app with live view would be a question I'd ask him...
12-16-2012, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

The only question I'd want to ask him is: Why can't I even buy a Pentax camera within 500 miles of here when I am right over the bridge from a larger city and actually living in a not so small one these days? Several hundred thousand people, several major box store chains, and I still have to order a new Pentax camera or lenses online if I want one? What does it matter what cameras they make if I can't even buy them sight unseen? Oh, I take that back, I apparently can buy them once in a blue moon at Sam's Club if I'm willing to buy an expensive membership and don't mind cameras that are on clearance and usually not the current models. But that's it. Otherwise I have to leave the state, I think. FF? Whatever. I'd be ecstatically happy just to actually see a K-30 or a K-5II in a local store....
12-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marks Quote
Hello all,
I'm a fairly new Pentaxian, having purchased a K-5 about 7 months ago. I am extremely happy with it! I must admit though, I do have a bit of D800 resolution envy as well as X100 style jealousy. Considering this... I know exactly what I want from Pentax...

Forget FF, I want a digital 6x7,a 6x7D! Give it a retro body, make it huge! Give it a 6 by 7 format 36+ sensor with crop abilities for optional FF or Aps-c format and K-mount adaptor!

Make the camera something special. Well built, a solid performer, with three manual knobs for iso, aperture, and shutter speed. A real analog feel. It can be heavy, It can be impractical, I'll keep my k-5 for everyday use.

This is my dream. Am I alone?
the problem is that the cost explodes. If you want more and have lots of cash the 645D is around..... but alas how big a photo do you want? --- the K5 produces a larger than your computer screen and more than enough to make an outstanding calendar
photo..... Resolution beyond the ability of the printer to print or the screen to display doesn't do much.

Howmuch do you want to pay for an car engine powerful enough to launch your car to the moon when it doesn't come with a space suit and you spend most of your time stuck in traffic somewhere anyway?

12-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by playbboy Quote
Yeah a remote control app with live view would be a question I'd ask him...
I agree with the remote control interface. Combined with the weather proofing already provided I could sit in frontof the fire and drink coffee
while panning around looking for interesting photos....
12-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
An API for firmware hacks, and active support for developers.
Aim higher, ask about a completely open firmware. (Not that I expect to get it of course, but maybe aiming high will get more.)

If anyone reaches them at all that is.
12-16-2012, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #25
Inactive Account

Everyone knows that when using your camera on a tripod with a remote shutter release cable or RF shutter release, you should remove the rubber eyecup and attach the little ME Finder Cap to prevent stray light from entering through the eyepiece and fooling the exposure meter. The only problem with that is that removing the eyecup and installing the cap is a PITA ti start with, and in truth, most of us lost that little eyepiece cap within the first week after we got the camera.

Ten or 15 yrs ago Ricoh solved the problem by installing a small lever beside the eyepiece that was attached to an internal shutter. When you wanted to cover the eyepiece you simply flip the lever and the internal shutter closed it off. I do a lot of tripod work and I thought that was one of the best trinkets that was ever put on a camera....Now that Ricoh has bought PENTAX, and understanding that Ricoh already owns the patent, perhaps they might consider adding that little shutter on the Pentax DSLR's..No more removing the rubber eyepiece cover, no more hunting for the eyepiece cap, just flip the switch and its always handy.
12-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #26
Forum Member

From their facebook... "PENTAXIANS, let’s chat! Executive vice president of PENTAX, Jim Malcolm, would like to get to know you better. Jim is scheduling one call each day (10-15 minutes each) to speak with you one-on-one. He’s interested in answering your questions, listening to your feedback, and learning from the community. He might even tell a joke or two! If you are interested in setting up time to chat with Jim please send an email to askpentax@prac.pentax.com; include your name and phone number and we’ll contact you to coordinate a time."

I wonder what some of you are going to want to chat about.....
can't find that on their facebook page
12-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoman1 Quote
can't find that on their facebook page
Interesting... I knew I should have snapped a screenshot of it...
12-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd love a 24mm limited f/1.4 prime! And a 120-400 WR, and an 8-16 WR, and....
12-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A 24/1.4 would be too bulky for Pentax to take on as a Ltd lens, but it could be a DFA or DA*. A 120-400 is a good idea, as well as a 400 prime. I think a lot of these ideas have been put forth on the Dear Pentax thread.

Last edited by Ash; 12-16-2012 at 10:07 PM.
12-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marks Quote
Hello all,
I'm a fairly new Pentaxian, having purchased a K-5 about 7 months ago. I am extremely happy with it! I must admit though, I do have a bit of D800 resolution envy as well as X100 style jealousy. Considering this... I know exactly what I want from Pentax...

Forget FF, I want a digital 6x7,a 6x7D! Give it a retro body, make it huge! Give it a 6 by 7 format 36+ sensor with crop abilities for optional FF or Aps-c format and K-mount adaptor!

Make the camera something special. Well built, a solid performer, with three manual knobs for iso, aperture, and shutter speed. A real analog feel. It can be heavy, It can be impractical, I'll keep my k-5 for everyday use.

This is my dream. Am I alone?

Yes...