Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Okay, so I got an email this morning. It was from a personal Pentax account. The person wanted to schedule a call for me. Since I will be in and out of town for the holidays, the only time that will work for me is . . .

TOMORROW AT 8:30am (Pacific time)

I WILL BE CHATTING WITH THE EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS TOMORROW

What should I talk about? Maybe I should just start another thread.

12-20-2012, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

You should direct him to the Dear Pentax thread, and have him reply with his thoughts.
12-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LazyPup Quote
Everyone knows that when using your camera on a tripod with a remote shutter release cable or RF shutter release, you should remove the rubber eyecup and attach the little ME Finder Cap to prevent stray light from entering through the eyepiece and fooling the exposure meter. The only problem with that is that removing the eyecup and installing the cap is a PITA ti start with, and in truth, most of us lost that little eyepiece cap within the first week after we got the camera.

Ten or 15 yrs ago Ricoh solved the problem by installing a small lever beside the eyepiece that was attached to an internal shutter. When you wanted to cover the eyepiece you simply flip the lever and the internal shutter closed it off. I do a lot of tripod work and I thought that was one of the best trinkets that was ever put on a camera....Now that Ricoh has bought PENTAX, and understanding that Ricoh already owns the patent, perhaps they might consider adding that little shutter on the Pentax DSLR's..No more removing the rubber eyepiece cover, no more hunting for the eyepiece cap, just flip the switch and its always handy.
Very nice idea. I just use gaffers tape lightly touched to the edges. But a small internal shutter for the eye piece would be nicer.
12-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Okay, so I got an email this morning. It was from a personal Pentax account. The person wanted to schedule a call for me. Since I will be in and out of town for the holidays, the only time that will work for me is . . .

TOMORROW AT 8:30am (Pacific time)

I WILL BE CHATTING WITH THE EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS TOMORROW

What should I talk about? Maybe I should just start another thread.
Please don't take offense but I thought he was head of Pentax USA and you are in Canada. I have had great responses from Pentax Canada and they seem, by comparison anyway, to be doing a MUCH better job than Pentax USA. Pentax Canada, according to the Pentax Global site, is a separate corporation from Pentax Americas.

Ditto on he should just come here and interact like a regular person.

12-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Please don't take offense but I thought he was head of Pentax USA and you are in Canada. I have had great responses from Pentax Canada and they seem, by comparison anyway, to be doing a MUCH better job than Pentax USA.

Ditto on he should just come here and interact like a regular person.
No worries, no offense taken. I'm somewhat surprised that I got this opportunity, given that I am such a newbie to the photography scene (I stated such a thing in my original email), but they are aware for sure that I am in Vancouver because they cited the time difference when scheduling the call.

Also, I made a mistake. Jim Malcolm is Exec VP of Pentax Ricoh AMERICAS, which probably means both North and South America (hence why Gabriel F Fontes from Brazil got a scheduled call as well).

My understanding based on my limited research so far is that this is a fairly new transition in leadership for Pentax Americas, since Ned Bunnel retired only in September 2012. Perhaps this is Mr. Malcolm's way of getting a feel for what Pentaxians are thinking.

I will definitely suggest some sort of official correspondence/communication with the Pentax Forums. I certainly would not be as interested as I am in the affairs of Pentax without these forums, as it's such a concentrated space of people who are really into Pentax. The benefits of such a thing are obvious.
12-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #51
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Earl. Look forward to hearing about how it went.
12-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #52
Pentaxian

To the people who have this opportunity, I would be grateful if some reference could be made to the ongoing bounce P-TTL flash overexposure problem that seems to afflict K-7, K-5, and the K-5 II family at least.

Historically, Pentax has fixed most existing problems in their new cameras that come out, if not via firmware. But this one has persisted a long time.

12-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
No worries, no offense taken. I'm somewhat surprised that I got this opportunity, given that I am such a newbie to the photography scene (I stated such a thing in my original email), but they are aware for sure that I am in Vancouver because they cited the time difference when scheduling the call.

Also, I made a mistake. Jim Malcolm is Exec VP of Pentax Ricoh AMERICAS, which probably means both North and South America (hence why Gabriel F Fontes from Brazil got a scheduled call as well).

My understanding based on my limited research so far is that this is a fairly new transition in leadership for Pentax Americas, since Ned Bunnel retired only in September 2012. Perhaps this is Mr. Malcolm's way of getting a feel for what Pentaxians are thinking.

I will definitely suggest some sort of official correspondence/communication with the Pentax Forums. I certainly would not be as interested as I am in the affairs of Pentax without these forums, as it's such a concentrated space of people who are really into Pentax. The benefits of such a thing are obvious.
Thanks. I checked again and Pentax Japan has Pentax Americas as handling US, Mexico and South America and Pentax Ricoh Imaging Canada, Inc as a separate company that handles Canada only. Perhaps he is not simply overseeing the Pentax Imaging operation?

In any case, any contact with actual photographers in the field is a plus. I hope he has visited here. The problem is that Pentax Imagings head of marketing ran away from here after some polite but firm questions (and calling him on being wrong).
12-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marks Quote
Hello all,
I'm a fairly new Pentaxian, having purchased a K-5 about 7 months ago. I am extremely happy with it! I must admit though, I do have a bit of D800 resolution envy as well as X100 style jealousy. Considering this... I know exactly what I want from Pentax...

Forget FF, I want a digital 6x7,a 6x7D! Give it a retro body, make it huge! Give it a 6 by 7 format 36+ sensor with crop abilities for optional FF or Aps-c format and K-mount adaptor!

Make the camera something special. Well built, a solid performer, with three manual knobs for iso, aperture, and shutter speed. A real analog feel. It can be heavy, It can be impractical, I'll keep my k-5 for everyday use.

This is my dream. Am I alone?
It will come, one day. Do you realize the current price of Pentax 645D? Maybe another 10 yrs of sensor manufacturing development, when FF is price like current APSC, and MF is price like current FF.... we now just start to see FF price come down a little.
12-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #55
Veteran Member

My call will be very interesting, since i'm not a native english speaker...
I do speak english pretty well, but we will see how it goes, since i will probably be nervous.
12-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
My call will be very interesting, since i'm not a native english speaker...
I do speak english pretty well, but we will see how it goes, since i will probably be nervous.
Given the quality of your posts and your English I'm sure you do not need to be nervous. I'm glad that several forum members are among those to whom the new VP will be speaking. Boa Sorte.
12-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #57
JFN
Veteran Member

Bring back the aperture rings!!!!
12-21-2012, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #58
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are other more pressing issues for the brand than to bring back the aperture rings. In fact, I barely see the need for doing so at all, given all new lenses are designed to go on dSLRs rather than back on historical film cameras.
12-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Given the quality of your posts and your English I'm sure you do not need to be nervous. I'm glad that several forum members are among those to whom the new VP will be speaking. Boa Sorte.
Wow, thank you sir! haha
I will try to write down some topics of discussion, i guess that will make me less nervous.
If people that have already talked to him could tell me how it went, i would love it
12-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
If people that have already talked to him could tell me how it went, i would love it
Well, I just finished my call. He's a nice man. I'll post up the conversation notes shortly!