Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #151
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
the archaic concept of interchangeable digital backs on a film-era camera is going to disappear
Not exactly. The Hasselblad H4 does it currently and sells quite well at it. The February released H-5's will also do it. Mamiya also does it presently and also has clearly stated that they will not be discontinuing that major feature anytime soom. Professionals have been asking for it ever since the first digital medium format camera.

But more in relation to the thread... The title of this thread (perhaps) claims that Pentax wants to hear what we think. I'm begininning to seriously question that one given this weeks announcements. Who in the world would release the MX without a hotshoe?

01-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Not exactly. The Hasselblad H4 does it currently and sells quite well at it. The February released H-5's will also do it. Mamiya also does it presently and also has clearly stated that they will not be discontinuing that major feature anytime soom. Professionals have been asking for it ever since the first digital medium format camera.

But more in relation to the thread... The title of this thread (perhaps) claims that Pentax wants to hear what we think. I'm begininning to seriously question that one given this weeks announcements. Who in the world would release the MX without a hotshoe?
I would. I just don't think that 95+ % of that market uses a hotshoe.

Pentax doesn't have to be everything to everyone... in fact if they try that they will fail.
01-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #153
Pentaxian

We'll see. So far, that market lacks innovation and is clinging into archaic technologies and concepts, and it is Pentax who's pushing it forward.
I don't think one can buy a "H5" camera and a separate Hasselblad back, am I mistaken? Aren't the H4 and H5 quite integrated?

My question is: why on Earth did they named that camera (otherwise a very nice compact, it seems) "MX"?
01-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
A number of things:
Thanks, Matt!

Many "nice to have" things, but I don't quite see how Metz has been "saving" Pentax.

Anyhow, the main feature I'd like to have is radio-controlled flashes. I'd be happy with manual power control only. The best such system I'm aware of is the "Cyber Commander" by Paul C. Buff. Easily beats the Phottix Odin, as far as I can tell from reading descriptions only.

01-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #155
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
just don't think that 95+ % of that market uses a hotshoe
Even if it would be just above half it would still be sad. Cannot tell you how many people I see with a gadget bag full of lens' and then still rarely use flash type lighting creatively. Better yet (or perhaps worse); how many people do items like claim they are professional level wedding photographers, who ironically still use automatic flash settings - and camera settings on top of that. Which almost makes their brand new cameras a 1k++ version of a p&s. They also wrongly think that they can adaptively correct for it later in post processing.

Ironically most will never realize that a truly good photograph is mostly about creative lighting.
01-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #156
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get plenty of stares and heads turning having the AF540FGZ set up wirelessly with an umbrella on a light stand on location outdoors.
I'm keen on off camera lighting and want to see the FGZ series improve to make the wireless set up more slick.
Matt's suggestions are good, and I think Pentax can implement many of them in the 540FGZ II, which I too would like to see come to fruition.
If 95% of the market doesn't use a hotshoe, that's not for Pentax to be too concerned about - the option is there, and consumers are still buying these cameras that have capabilities that eclipse the skills of the consumer. I for one am grateful for the ability to creatively express my photography using the quality gear Pentax produces. I'd like to see this continue advancing.

Last edited by Ash; 01-08-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling
01-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I get plenty of stares and heads turning having the AF540FGZ set up wirelessly with an umbrella on a light stand on location outdoors.
I'm keen on off camera lighting and want to see the FGZ series improve to make the wireless set up more slick.
Matt's suggestions are good, and I think Pentax can implement many of them in the 540FGZ II, which I too would like to see come to fruition.
If 95% of the market doesn't use a hotshoe, that's not for Pentax to be too concerned about - the option is there, and consumers are still buying these cameras that have capabilities that eclipse the skills of the consumer. I for one am grateful for the ability to creatively express my photograhy using the quality gear Pentax produces. I'd like to see this continue advancing.
Well said.

01-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We'll see. So far, that market lacks innovation and is clinging into archaic technologies and concepts, and it is Pentax who's pushing it forward.
How exactly is Pentax pushing the market forward? What technology is Pentax the cutting edge player in? Sensors are by Sony. Image processors are Fujitsu. PDAF is a generation behind. CDAF is 2 generations behind. HD video is 2 generation behind. Flash is at least 1 generation behind. Their lens line-up is the smallest of any DSLR manufacturer. Sigma makes more K-mount lenses than Pentax does. SDM is not the best in the industry by a long shot.

Pentax had good ergonomics and UI. It has very good RAW IQ. It has excellent build quality for the price. Pentax provides a lot of camera for the money, but they are not pushing the industry forward.

How exactly is Pentax pushing the market forward? Seems to me they have been playing catch-up since the invention of AF.
01-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #159

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
How exactly is Pentax pushing the market forward?
I think Kunzite is talking about the medium-format market - the 645D with full DSLR controls at half the price shook that market hard.
01-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #160
Pentaxian

Indeed, we were talking about the medium format market; and Pentax is pushing it forward, by introducing technologies so far reserved to higher volumes markets, and simultaneously reducing the price.
01-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #161
Veteran Member

I see. I jumped to the last page and just saw the general statement. Pentax has done very well with the 645D. Hopefully we will see more competition in the MF market and better products.
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #162
Pentaxian

Since the H2 series I think only the H4X takes film backs or digital backs from third party ventors, all the other models are intregated, or at least that is what their web site states. There are also still 2 digital backs for the V system. With Pentax 645 as it was never interchangable backs it makes little sense to change now and make new film backs, especially as a new back would greatly exceed the cost of a used camera body.
01-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #163

If anybody else gets a call can you talk about video function please? Ask them if they could update older models K7/5/x to have manual control in video. (and to improve their rubbish h264 implementation)
01-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #164

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
If anybody else gets a call can you talk about video function please? Ask them if they could update older models K7/5/x to have manual control in video. (and to improve their rubbish h264 implementation)
I posted about my video centric discussion from this morning in the video thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-hdslrs/211375-pentax-wants-h...o-edition.html
01-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #165
Veteran Member

I was just offered an opportunity to speak with Mr. Malcom. It is currently very tentatively the end of January (right now 28 Jan), or even into the first week of February. Not only does it depend on his schedule, but much more difficult to definitively pinpoint would be my own schedule since I would be calling from Afghanistan. Of note is that at that time we will be very involved in our preparations and movement home from Afghanistan

I literally received my email last night, which means that Mr. Malcolm and his secretaries and still going through what I would assume is an onslaught of emails, still affording some of us the opportunity to take advantage of his desire to listen to us. To be honest I had completely forgotten about the email I sent to Pentax, and even seeing the email's subject line of "Re: Mr. Malcolm EVP Q&A" had me extremely confused until I opened it and remembered. So have faith that Mr. Malcolm is still offering more interviews and he isn't done yet. At least not as of late on 9 January

More to follow...

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 01-10-2013 at 03:11 AM. Reason: typo