Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveshootPentax Quote
I mentioned the full frame that everyone seems to want but I really don't care about, it did not sound like that was much of a priority to them.
First, thanks a lot for sharing all of your thoughts with us.

I'm shocked that he sounded as if the FF model wasn't much of a priority to them.

Do you think he may have just wanted to approve of your personal attitude towards the FF model?

I cannot believe Pentax wants to continue watching how the money-spending Pentaxians leave the brand to become D600 / 6D / A99 owners.

01-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
First, thanks a lot for sharing all of your thoughts with us.

I'm shocked that he sounded as if the FF model wasn't much of a priority to them.

Do you think he may have just wanted to approve of your personal attitude towards the FF model?

I cannot believe Pentax wants to continue watching how the money-spending Pentaxians leave the brand to become D600 / 6D / A99 owners.
I don't think Pentax has a choice but to produce a FF body in the near future. I don't think they want to produce one, but they don't have a choice. They will get squeezed out of the top end by the D600/6D and they will get squeezed on the bottom end by m4/3, NEX, & EVIL options. Smart phones are eating into P&S sales.

Unless Pentax has some really amazing technology they can apply to APS-C at a $1,500 price point they don't have any other option but produce a FF body to satisfy K-mount users looking to upgrade to a premium body.

I still think we see a 24+/- MP APS-C K-3 simply because Pentax does not have everything in place for a K-1 FF.

The new EPSON EVF will hopefully put pressure on Pentax to improve the OVF. I hope they can put an A900 OVF on the next camera.....
01-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had my call with Jim this morning. Really enjoyable guy and an inspiring conversation. I won't share too much other than we spoke about FF, 645D, Capture One, and a few other items. He was open and willing to share many things. I am impressed with him and so glad he is sampling the "voice of the consumer" with these personal phone calls.
01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I had my call with Jim this morning. Really enjoyable guy and an inspiring conversation. I won't share too much other than we spoke about FF, 645D, Capture One, and a few other items. He was open and willing to share many things. I am impressed with him and so glad he is sampling the "voice of the consumer" with these personal phone calls.
I'm glad to hear that you got to speak with him.

01-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #200
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really enjoyable guy and an inspiring conversation. I won't share too much other than we spoke about FF, 645D, Capture One, and a few other items. He was open and willing to share many things. I am impressed with him
From the tone of your post I choose to infer positive responses about FF, 645 and the many things he was open about and willing to share.

Thx!!
01-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #201
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
From the tone of your post I choose to infer positive responses about FF, 645 and the many things he was open about and willing to share.

Thx!!
he confirmed FF is coming!!
01-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #202
Pentaxian

01-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So much for ":choose to infer ...."
01-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #204
Veteran Member

I need to get one of these phone calls, so that I can pile on and plead with the man for info on FF. Don't get me wrong, I want it too, but it seems like every thread eventually turns to FF...they need to cough up some more info so everyone can relax.
01-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #205

QuoteQuote:
I won't share too much other than we spoke about FF, 645D, Capture One, and a few other items
I smell BS
01-24-2013, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #206
Forum Member

I had my call with Jim Malcolm the other day. My concerns include upgrading from my K7, tethering, flash issues and the supply chain in Canada. I did not ask about FF (I figured it had been beaten to death) or video (I have only used video on the K7 twice).

I said I was waiting to find out what was going to be announced at CP+ before I order the K5iis- Jim suggested I should buy now rather than wait (I took that to mean that there was nothing coming soon). I then said the K5iis is not available here and the shop wants to be prepaid for any special orders - he asked which store I deal with.

We talked about quality control and SDM issues and he said that he thought the SDM issues had been overblown by the press. I told him my 16-50 spent 10 weeks at Pentax Canada being fixed - he said "Sorry".

It sounded like the flash issues had been raised a number of times and that they are working on it.

I also mentioned that the Pentax Canada site was showing the K5 and not the ii or iis - he had a good laugh and said that he was seeing the guys from Canada later that day - so now Pentax Canada have removed the K5 from the splash screen but they do have a link to the ii and iis details.

He also said they were working on a world wide co-ordinated information system so that everyone would be getting the same information without waiting for someone to interpret interviews. It sounded like that would roll down to the web page information as well.

Overall it sounded like he was listening and he had listened to the other people he had talked to because he was aware of the issues that have been raised.
01-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RossCo Quote
I had my call with Jim Malcolm the other day. My concerns include upgrading from my K7, tethering, flash issues and the supply chain in Canada. I did not ask about FF (I figured it had been beaten to death) or video (I have only used video on the K7 twice).

I said I was waiting to find out what was going to be announced at CP+ before I order the K5iis- Jim suggested I should buy now rather than wait (I took that to mean that there was nothing coming soon). I then said the K5iis is not available here and the shop wants to be prepaid for any special orders - he asked which store I deal with.

We talked about quality control and SDM issues and he said that he thought the SDM issues had been overblown by the press. I told him my 16-50 spent 10 weeks at Pentax Canada being fixed - he said "Sorry".

It sounded like the flash issues had been raised a number of times and that they are working on it.

I also mentioned that the Pentax Canada site was showing the K5 and not the ii or iis - he had a good laugh and said that he was seeing the guys from Canada later that day - so now Pentax Canada have removed the K5 from the splash screen but they do have a link to the ii and iis details.

He also said they were working on a world wide co-ordinated information system so that everyone would be getting the same information without waiting for someone to interpret interviews. It sounded like that would roll down to the web page information as well.

Overall it sounded like he was listening and he had listened to the other people he had talked to because he was aware of the issues that have been raised.
Sounds like a good chat. If he doesn't believe that SDM issue is real he ought to come here and look at the survey, the repeated posts about multiple "fixes" for the same lens, etc. The 18-135 has only one person to have ever claimed that its "inferior" ring motor system failed. Some of the SDM lenses, which cost considerably more and have the "better" ring motor system, have 100+ reported failures in the database here alone.
01-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
I smell BS
which part?
01-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #209

all this overly secret " i wont share too much....." bla bla, that are these comments after which we see " pentax confirmed FF" threads poping up everywhere.....
01-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #210
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
all this overly secret " i wont share too much....." bla bla, that are these comments after which we see " pentax confirmed FF" threads poping up everywhere.....
You should schedule a call with him and see for yourself. He was very matter of fact that they are indeed working on the FF. I didn't mean there was anything secret about my conversation, just that I prefer not to go through all the points that were made like others have done. We spent a good deal of time talking about glass, post processing, his background which included him photographing surgical cases in the operating room, the bay area, etc...varied topics and yes, some talk about the FF project.