Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #361

D-SLRs:

1) Pentax should bring out a body with
a) 12-16mp sensor who will produce great quality pictures
b) an as improved as can be AF-system (accuracy)
c) optional grip (wich won't be as expensive as past grips)
d) better iso performance at 800-3200 (especially at 800-1600)
e) an extremelly low price
f) the common features wich improve the image when is taken.
g) a decent image processor
Let this one have no super extra features as the current line-up. Let this one be just a great camera and nothing more.
Such a camera, if also solid, at 400 U.S.d. would definitely sell like no other Pentax/Sony/Olympus... dslrs before and like many nikons n canons.
As a pro photographer with many kinds of work (wedings, sports, events) I would take this one with me as 1st body in most of my jobs.
Remember the most of the photography most of the pros do around the world, does not need many things

Propable kits:
the classics a) 18-55 AL II (or III)
a.i) plus a 50-200
b) with a 18-135mm
the non-classics:
c) 17-70mm f/4
c.i) plus the grip with an extra baterry
d) the new DA* wich will be something at 16-85mm and eventually f/ <4
d.i) plus the grip with an extra battery
e) just the grip with an extra battery

Once again here, wise pricing would be the key.

2) A GREAT FF body wich will be THE best DSLR ever existed (at least for a couple of months) is an expense Pentax will have to do, eventually. This one can be priced as much as nikons n canons FF are and wether the company will make profit or not is not the issue here as every sensible human should understand.

3) A combination of 1 and 2 would be interesting. That is a low budget FF at 12-16mp etc...

Lenses:
1)RELIABILITY
2)D-FA's
2.1) Zomm D-FA's
............................................................................ To be continued...

04-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #362
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by petros205 Quote
This has been discussed at length. There are basically only two real market strategies (if you're doing something else, it's likely that what you have is actually not a strategy at all). They are: compete on cost, or compete on differentiation.

Your proposal is basically to compete on cost. This is very hard for a mass-market consumer good when there are bigger competitors. It is also roughly what Pentax attempted with the K100D and K110D. These were great little cameras, priced under $400, and easily fit an adjusted-for-the-time version of your list.

Unfortunately, this did not result in rousing success for Pentax.

Last edited by mattdm; 04-30-2013 at 06:46 AM.
04-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #363
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

D-SLRs:

1) Pentax should bring out a body with
a) 12-16mp sensor who will produce great quality pictures
b) an as improved as can be AF-system (accuracy)
c) optional grip (wich won't be as expensive as past grips)
d) better iso performance at 800-3200 (especially at 800-1600)
e) an extremelly low price
f) the common features wich improve the image when is taken.
g) a decent image processor
Let this one have no super extra features as the current line-up. Let this one be just a great camera and nothing more.
Such a camera, if also solid, at 400 U.S.d. would definitely sell like no other Pentax/Sony/Olympus... dslrs before and like many nikons n canons.
As a pro photographer with many kinds of work (wedings, sports, events) I would take this one with me as 1st body in most of my jobs.
Remember the most of the photography most of the pros do around the world, does not need many things

Propable kits:
the classics a) 18-55 AL II (or III)
a.i) plus a 50-200
b) with a 18-135mm
the non-classics:
c) 17-70mm f/4
c.i) plus the grip with an extra baterry
d) the new DA* wich will be something at 16-85mm and eventually f/ <4
d.i) plus the grip with an extra battery
e) just the grip with an extra battery

2) A GREAT FF body wich will be THE best DSLR ever existed (at least for a couple of months) is an expense Pentax will have to do, eventually. This one can be priced as much as nikons n canons FF are and wether the company will make profit or not is not the issue here as every sensible human should understand.

3) A combination of 1 and 2 would be interesting. That is a low budget FF at 12-16mp etc...

Lenses:
1)RELIABILITY
2)D-FA's
2.1) Zomm D-FA's
............................................................................ To be continued...

This is by far the most original and compelling strategy that is organized in the most masterful way I have ever seen in the history of PF. I am simply astounded.
05-07-2013, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #364
Veteran Member

Hey all, I finally received something today from PRIAC today. It was a thank you gift for speaking with Jim.

A leather-bound notebook
2 GB flash drive
and a card with a message

All officially branded Pentax.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8v9uoqg1ih666l/20130507_115339.jpg

So those of you who have spoken with Jim, perhaps this is something to look forward to.

05-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's nice of you to post this. Nice swag, too!
05-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #366
Veteran Member

D-SLRs: Let this one have no super extra features as the current line-up. Let this one be just a great camera and nothing more.
It really would be nice if Pentax saw fit to release a true digital version of the K1000 (the K2000 doesn't count) or similar . No consumer bells and whistles; RAW+ to allow reviewing before developing, no "scenes" or "FX", just the features that contribute to high IQ RAW images. I guess I'm talking about the K5/II/IIs though, aren't I?
05-07-2013, 01:38 PM - 3 Likes   #367
Pentaxian

That's a good looking notebook. Solid. But a bit smaller than the notebooks I'm used to.

Have you heard about the advantages of larger, "full frame" notebooks?

05-07-2013, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #368
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
That's a good looking notebook. Solid. But a bit smaller than the notebooks I'm used to.

Have you heard about the advantages of larger, "full frame" notebooks?
Compared to the "standard" Moleskine notebook:

The Pentax notebook features TWO ribbon bookmarks. In addition, the Pentax pages have a line going down the left side of each page, as in a traditional sheet of school paper. Moleskine pages have no such features

Each page in the Pentax book has 25 lines, while the Moleskin page has 32. The Pentax notebook also appears to have around 1.5x the amount of pages.

So let's say the Moleskin has 100 pages x 32 lines = 3200 lines.
The Pentax has 150 pages x 25 lines = 3750 lines.

The Pentax notebook offers a superior amount of writing space. And more features too.
05-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #369
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Hey all, I finally received something today from PRIAC today. It was a thank you gift for speaking with Jim.

A leather-bound notebook
2 GB flash drive
and a card with a message
All officially branded Pentax.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8v9uoqg1ih666l/20130507_115339.jpg
So those of you who have spoken with Jim, perhaps this is something to look forward to.
So maybe Jim should send all PF members that same gift, to confirm we have said it enough.
06-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #370
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
It really would be nice if Pentax saw fit to release a true digital version of the K1000 (the K2000 doesn't count) or similar . No consumer bells and whistles; RAW+ to allow reviewing before developing, no "scenes" or "FX", just the features that contribute to high IQ RAW images. I guess I'm talking about the K5/II/IIs though, aren't I?

Almost - perhaps a k5II without video/liveview - I'd really appreciate that

Just got me thinking - is there any potential for a "modular body" in camera making - basic frame, sensor and heart remains constant then add the bits you want (dual card slot in lieu of live view/video bits? etc)? Just a thought .

Back to planet earth a few things I'd like Pentax to consider;

- a 35-105mm (ish) lens, with best features of 50 -135 and 18-135 combined (WR, constant aperture, DC focus, DA* built quality)
- a robust flashgun - WR, basic (don't need it to to navigate, fly, WIFI, or drive my car - just simple, robust, tilt and swivel head, GN 50 ish, weather resistant, with entry level pTTL focus assist, possibly powered by same battery as my k5II (share spares) and 4 to 8 incremental manual settings would do me)
- weather resistance for limited primes (I'm not likely to be able to afford them but someone might)
06-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #371
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Waratah Quote
Almost - perhaps a k5II without video/liveview - I'd really appreciate that
How to make your own K-5II without video/liveview in two easy steps:
1. buy a K-5II
2. don't use the video/live view functions.
06-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #372
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
How to make your own K-5II without video/liveview in two easy steps:
1. buy a K-5II
2. don't use the video/live view functions.
Awesome suggestion

1. Done
2. Mostly done, except the occasional time I bump the ing thing cause its so near the four way controller, right where a bit of plain camera body should be,

A mostly delighted Pentax man here, even more so with a capable but bit less featured camera.

Really appreciate the spirit with which you offered that advice.
06-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #373
Pentaxian

Thank you.
It's cheaper this way, than a low volume, almost custom-made camera
06-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #374
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Waratah Quote
Awesome suggestion

1. Done
2. Mostly done, except the occasional time I bump the ing thing cause its so near the four way controller, right where a bit of plain camera body should be,

A mostly delighted Pentax man here, even more so with a capable but bit less featured camera.

Really appreciate the spirit with which you offered that advice.
Well... what did you expect?
06-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #375
Forum Member

Regarding colors on Pentax cameras, I hope that all models - not only Pentax K-50 - can be chosen with various colors in the near future.

Last edited by Traditional; 06-26-2013 at 07:53 PM.