Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #211
Pentaxian

I think it will be an interesting year, regardless of which Pentax Ricoh system we're interested in.

12-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #212
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Don't know about other mono shooters, but I wouldn't be personally interested in it. K-5 has too many features that I would never use.

If Ricoh came out with mono module that GXR, I will get into the system in a heart beat, even if they never came out with K mount module for my FA ltds (I don't think they ever will). I will along with it get the M module for my m mount lenses. That would be a dream come true.
B&W mode in GXR is really cool. No need any monochrome module at all. I use RAW+B&W JPEG sometimes. It rocks.
12-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
This is also what I understood. They may produce a successor but this will be more like a by-product. Why not if it is low cost - low risk. But no real investment there.
They have previously indicated that the K-01 was a one-off initiated under Hoya that they aren't interested in continuing. The fact that (from what I can tell) they didn't sell many of them until the recent price drop (in the U.S. anyway -- I just gladly bought one at $316 and didn't even consider it at the higher price) probably helped their decision...

Last edited by vonBaloney; 12-23-2012 at 12:58 PM.
12-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
They have previously indicated that the K-01 was a one-off initiated under Hoya that they aren't interested in continuing. The fact that (from what I can tell) they didn't sell many of them until the recent price drop (in the U.S. anyway -- I just gladly bought one at $316 and didn't even consider it at the higher price) probably helped their decision...
Mmm I don't remember they stated it that way.
It was a side project considered not included in the normal camera range. OK, that much else.
* not that I care much about the future of that line btw *

12-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm I don't remember they stated it that way.
It was a side project considered not included in the normal camera range. OK, that much else.
* not that I care much about the future of that line btw *
I don't have the reference but I remember them stating pretty clearly that (more or less), "That was a Hoya thing. It's done. It won't be a 'line'."

That doesn't mean they will never have another mirrorless K-mount, but it will have no relation to the K-01 if they make it...
12-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
B&W mode in GXR is really cool. No need any monochrome module at all. I use RAW+B&W JPEG sometimes. It rocks.
I agree with you and Creampuff that mono output of GXR is quite good. In fact, I would say they are fantastic. It is for me almost a good enough reason to buy into the system, really. But, I do think that picture quality can be improved in a way that Leica did with monochrome.

I have a goofy feeling that they will do something like this . . . .
12-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #217
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by isaoa Quote
“Until last year possibility of mirrorless full size was there. If we consider various things, personally I am thinking with mirror. (not mirrorless)”
“Full frame can benefit more from reduced mirror shock of mirrorless. But I think mirror less is a better fit for medium format.”
Why can't they let users have their cake and eat it to? SLR system that can lock the mirror up and behave as a mirrorless with high speed, high quality contrast AF, live view, etc. When you are using live view why doesn't it just use an electronic shutter. Is there some technical limitation to this, I sure hope so because it is such a painfully obvious solution.
12-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Why can't they let users have their cake and eat it to? SLR system that can lock the mirror up and behave as a mirrorless with high speed, high quality contrast AF, live view, etc. When you are using live view why doesn't it just use an electronic shutter. Is there some technical limitation to this, I sure hope so because it is such a painfully obvious solution.
Since I have had K-01 for a month or so, I can tell you that personally, given the same size and "similar" pricing, I think I will always choose VF over Mirrorless. Having said that, I will say that I never understood why they needed live view on DSLR, except in 645D. Shooting situations that I saddle myself with, I am not sure if mirrorless would be superior over VF . . . .

But I see what you are saying though. I think it can be done.

12-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #219
Inactive Account

Since I have had K-01 for a month or so, I can tell you that personally, given the same size and "similar" pricing, I think I will always choose VF over Mirrorless. Having said that, I will say that I never understood why they needed live view on DSLR, except in 645D. Shooting situations that I saddle myself with, I am not sure if mirrorless would be superior over VF . . . .

But I see what you are saying though. I think it can be done.
Most people under 30 only have experience with live view style photography so giving them your camera and asking them to take a snapshot of you with your family is like throwing them the keys to a car with manual transmission. You can see the thought "I don't know if I can look through that hole and press a button at the same time" flash across their face. Glad to know your experience though, I am thinking about upgrading my k-x to a k-5 but it is extremely tempting to get a K-01 with a DA 40 for $417.
12-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If I am going to dream, I will dream big.....
Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's a really cool dream! It would sure put Pentax on the map.
12-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
The K30 is pretty close to that already. Only thing is shutter reaction upon button press, which still has some slight lag.
But then, the XE-1 response in this respect is about the same as the K30.
12-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #222
Pentaxian

I will say that I never understood why they needed live view on DSLR
I often use the live view on my K-x and K5 DSLRs
the same way I used the waist-level finder on my old LX,
taking photos over the top of crowds, fences, etc.
12-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #223
Pentaxian

I like optical viewfinders, and I'm not willing to go EVF; however I also find the live view useful from time to time. It's nice to have a choice
Of course, a LX-style viewfinder system would be the best.
12-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #224
ogl
Pentaxian

I've made present for New Year for myself - K-5IIs....
12-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I've made present for New Year for myself - K-5IIs....
Congratulations.