Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #331
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Isn't that exactly what they announced in that interview? Nothing new is coming: An FF DSLR. Just as good as doing nothing.

Please enlighten me. What are those reasons to go with Pentax? And what features wouldn't you want to lose? What does Pentax have, that the other brands haven't?

A few years ago, they had a lot of very unique features that couldn't be found elsewhere. Most of those are either gone, or found better elsewhere now.
No offense, but what exactly are you trying to do? You already made a decision, and it seems there's no way you would get back to Pentax, no matter what (which in itself is OK, be happy with your new system).

No, on the interviews they "announced" quite the opposite: that they're working on developing their product lines, not only a FF DSLR but also APS-C and 645 digital, while not ignoring the Ricoh line.

I wouldn't want to give up to:
- Pentax ergonomics, unrivaled IMO. And you can't contradict me on that, asking me to prefer larger cameras instead (by the way, if I did there's the removable grip) or Nikon bodies or whatever.
- compact, rugged cameras at good prices.
- compact, lightweight, well build and optically excellent primes which are automatically stabilized by in-body SR; I dislike EVFs so I don't care about Sony.
Of course, I can find desirable things in other systems as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
In fact, even more so. If the K-mount is bad for FF it must be wretched for APS-C.
Let's not forget everything applies to the F-mount, as well. Is Nikon doomed, beyond hope?

01-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #332
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
What are those reasons to go with Pentax? And what features wouldn't you want to lose? What does Pentax have, that the other brands haven't?
These questions are too easy. The (most important) answer is: The PKAF2-mount .

I would happily buy a Canax 5D or a Nikax D800 - simply not possible .

Pentax K-mount <-> Pentax DSLR(s)
-> advantage over the other FF manufacturers
-> future-proof reliable system
-> keeping all the advantages of DSLRs: mirror, ovf, etc.
-> the only reason to wait for a Pentax FF

Why introduce yet another new mount or yet another new mirrorless/EVIL (with the disadvantages of e.g. an EVF)?

Probably, the next Pentax APS-C DSLR then will mean even less than nothing .

01-07-2013, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #333
Veteran Member

Contradiction: The K5 is so small that it feels like I'm handling a point and shoot. The above excellent ergonomics of the K20D died together with it.
Personal Preference.

Which brand isn't? No modern camera is hard to use.
Switch from M mode to TAv on a Nikon.

Which modern brand doesn't provide excellent IQ?
They're all worse on APS-C than Pentax. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

Which can just as easily be used on the other brands.
I'm sorry, but no-AF and no infinity focus does NOT by any means make my lenses as 'easy-to-use' on Nikon cameras. No AF and poor-user-interface (where's my second dial?) do NOT make my lenses as 'easy-to-use' on a Canon. What are you trying to achieve by making that claim?

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 01-07-2013 at 01:05 PM.
01-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #334
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
no solution for all the disadvantages of the K-mount, mirror, ovf, etc
What exactly are these so called disadvantages of the K-mount? Why is it that everyone always believes that new is always better why reinvent the wheel the k-mount works fine and can be adapted to any new lens they come out with.

01-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #335
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I see the same arguments by the same people over and over again about build quality, ergonomics, easy menu's, dials, etc. But hello, photography is more then the look and feel of the tool. As a photography-enthusiast I don't care much about those cosmetics, but I would love to be able to mount (for example) quality M-glass at a Pentax price on an FF body. A mirrorless FF system would make that possible. And a few years ago Pentax was innovative enough that I thought they would be the company to do just that, but it seems they have given up somehow. "Dare to be different."
01-07-2013, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #336
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax makes the best APS-C DSLR's and continues its commitment to the K-mount and the fourteen lenses in my kit. Those are the things I care about most. The Pentax plan doesn't suit everyone, fair enough, there are other systems out there. I have very little interest in changing or in criticizing Pentax for what they do best.
01-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #337
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a photography-enthusiast I don't care much about those cosmetics, but I would love to be able to mount (for example) quality M-glass at a Pentax price on an FF body
Solution - Sony FF body with K-mount converter - sold!
It seems your expectations of Pentax will not be met.