Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2012, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
A modern electronic mount has a lot of advantages [...]
Yes, I also miss those Err99 failures...

12-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
And they also say that it make more sense to make a mirrorless 645 than a mirrorless 35mm camera.
Actually, a rangefinder-lookalike 645 camera could probably appeal both to serious photographers and hipsters with too much money to spend

And with a new short-flange mount, they could still make an AF-enabled adapter for the three existing SDM 645 lenses...
12-21-2012, 02:12 AM - 2 Likes   #108
Inactive Account

Interesting times! Imho Pentax has a freedom to expand or evolve in every direction, choosing the "right for the brand" path or paths is the hardest part. This is because Pentax users want different things.

The enthusiasts want to preserve the mount, others want Pentax to become Canikon, and some want them to start from scratch with new mounts.

I only used Pentax for the small/light combo (K-7 15/31/43/77), i now use Nikon.
And personally i dont want Pentax to become like my D600 and AF-S Nikkors, thats what i need now but as an camera enthusiast, and Pentax enthusiast id rather see them keep the niche style with small and compact bodies and lenses... whatever they do with the mount.

Please Pentax! Stay unique and niche!!!
12-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #109
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Pentax got three mounts if you count like that: K, 645 and Q. .
All this mounts are different. You can use 645/67 on K-mount. But...It's almost useless. Just for fun. The same with Q and K.

12-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #110
ogl
Banned

K-mount FF camera is not interesting, boring and banal. For me.
K-3s APS-C with new sensor won't be worse than FF. IMO.

I like something absolutely NEW.
12-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
All this mounts are different. You can use 645/67 on K-mount. But...It's almost useless. Just for fun. The same with Q and K.
But still they have to support one more mount despite limited production capability, that's the issue. I'm pretty sure that they would have to kill one of the mounts to start with a new one at the moment, leaving some section with a death sentence for a while. It takes a long time to build up production, just look at how long it have taken for a huge company like Sony to recover from a loss of only a part of the production.
12-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
K-mount FF camera is not interesting, boring and banal. [...]

This is the camera I and others are waiting for since the MZ-D was shown .
Unfortunately, it is not so banal for Pentax .

If you want something EVIL to appear ... then this might be the camera for you: (SR5) Full Frame mirrorless from Sony coming in almost exactly one year! 24 or 30-32 Megapixel! | sonyalpharumors

12-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Full Frame mirrorless from Sony coming in almost exactly one year! 24 or 30-32 Megapixel! | sonyalpharumors[/url]
I wonder how many useful lenses there will be for that camera (for instance, if the CZ 24mm or the recently released and decent-looking 35mm/1.8 will be usable).
12-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Screwmount Mirrorless would be great and weather sealed.
12-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #115
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
A modern electronic mount has a lot of advantages, and would probably increase third-party lens support as well, which has been dwindling. If they can come up with an adapter that allows full-feature (or crippled as we have become used to) from K-mount (and release it at the same time as new system), why not?
You mean like the Nikon F mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
+1 I agree 100% here.
Let's face it, screw drive AF is the biggest obstacle to faster and silent focusing. A new mount for a new and improved SDM or DC motor series of lenses with a FF image circle, new optical construction and new lens coatings is the way to go. Legacy lens users will always cry foul and whine anyway if there's no backward compatibility, but this demographic is progressively getting smaller. Pentax should make a clean start and if that means ditching the venerable K-mount and relaunching a new range of lenses, so be it. How then can it ever hope to meet the current benchmarks set by the likes of current FF Canikons?

Seriously, what's the difference if Pentax launches a new mount for FF? It's no different from current Pentax users jumping ship to Canon or Nikon?
Why was the F-mount not a problem for Nikon? Most of the new mounts are by companies that recently entered or re-entered the scene or new formats i.e. 4/3 and m4/3. M4/3 just started getting enough lenses accumulating the past 1 to 2 years. It is still behind the curve in that area even with the recent Sigma entries.

Last edited by Blue; 12-21-2012 at 08:31 AM.
12-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Old users with a lot of old lenses won't give money to Pentax.
The profitability of cameras are low. The big money will give the sales of new lenses and adapters for old lenses.
To make new mount for FF is good move. IMO. K-mount is for APS-C.
+1 I agree 100% here.
Let's face it, screw drive AF is the biggest obstacle to faster and silent focusing. A new mount for a new and improved SDM or DC motor series of lenses with a FF image circle, new optical construction and new lens coatings is the way to go. Legacy lens users will always cry foul and whine anyway if there's no backward compatibility, but this demographic is progressively getting smaller. Pentax should make a clean start and if that means ditching the venerable K-mount and relaunching a new range of lenses, so be it. How then can it ever hope to meet the current benchmarks set by the likes of current FF Canikons?

Seriously, what's the difference if Pentax launches a new mount for FF? It's no different from current Pentax users jumping ship to Canon or Nikon?
12-21-2012, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Exactly, if the K-mount is ditched, then users can just as wel switch to Canikon.

If Pentax is going to be exactly like Canon or Nikon... Then what's the use of buying a Pentax?

It's a good move if you want kill Pentax off though.
12-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #118
ogl
Banned

Pentax have only 6 lenses for 35 mm. It won't be perfect at digital FF. It's not a problem to remake it in new mount.
I don't see any logical connection between K-mount and FF.
95% of lenses with K-mount are for APS-C.

Last edited by ogl; 12-21-2012 at 08:39 AM.
12-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #119
Pentaxian

creampuff:
And I 100% disagree. No offense, but every point you made is not valid.
- lenses with improved SDM/DC, FF image circle, new optical construction and new lens coatings can very well be K-mount.
- you're ignoring the users with new lenses, ready to spend more into the K-mount, on both lenses and cameras. They are those who give money to Pentax.
- Pentax should not make a clean start (read: zero market share and no income) unless they have a very, very good reason to do so. Can you think of one?
- the Nikon F mount is no more advanced than the K-mount, in other words the mount won't prevent Pentax to compete.
- there is a huge difference between keeping the current users and ditching them. Your fight is against the current K-mount user base, which is strange since you're one of them; not against some old folks with some old *istD using it with, erm, old K and M lenses.
12-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Exactly, if the K-mount is ditched, then users can just as wel switch to Canikon.

If Pentax is going to be exactly like Canon or Nikon... Then what's the use of buying a Pentax?

It's a good move if you want kill Pentax off though.
agree 100%, Pentax is already losing the battle for full frame, and the next round of Canikon dslr upgrades are looming. Nikon has also made their D600 and D800 compatible with their aps-c lenses so the upgrade path just got easier for existing users...NOT harder.