Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It is a Communist plot!
Tá mé spraoi le Google aistriú agus ag rá rudaí goofy i dteangacha éagsúla ach a imirt!
Non, definitivamente non é unha conspiración comunista.

12-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #92
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Didn't they say at Photokina that they planned to stick to the k-mount BTW?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #93
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Non, definitivamente non é unha conspiración comunista.
*sigh*

Probably not.

12-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
*sigh*

Probably not.

Ert þú þrá gamla daga?

12-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Are you guys reading a different interview than I have? What they are saying is that they will NOT make a mirrorless FF or 645D at the time being. But if they did make a mirrorless FF camera it makes sense to redesign the lens mount. And they also say that it make more sense to make a mirrorless 645 than a mirrorless 35mm camera.
That's how I read it, too. I think they get asked about the mirrorless FF a lot because it'd be one of the easier ways for them to make a splash with fullframe (i.e. something instantly different that hasn't been done yet. Guessing Sony is closest?), but I'm not getting the vibe from any of their recent interviews that they're really that interested in putting out a high level mirrorless camera in either APS-C or FF or really anything else but the Q. Pentax development is already leaning toward using a mirror from the sound of it, and if lenses are already in development and they know keeping K-mount is a big draw, my money would be on a K-5esque full frame camera and or another high level APS-C K mount camera eventually showing up.

I think they should find their "Pentax niche" by making a high quality autofocus FF camera based around a series of high quality lenses, kind of like the Contax G2 was for film (but with a much better viewfinder, and not a rangefinder). Not something that could compete with the Canon 1DX or Nikon D4 level of fullframe, but a good quality alternative to Nikon/Sony/Canon advanced enthusiast cameras. We might have to pay at a higher price than the D600 and Canon 6D to get this camera, though, so it'll have to be something that has a lot of great quality built into the body, just like the K-5. Also, I'm just guessing, but the Pentax lenses could probably be at least a little cheaper and smaller than some of the super primes and zooms from Canon and Nikon and Sony/Zeiss, so it could end up being an overall more affordable proposition. Also, keeping the K-mount would offer a lot of options for cheaper lenses.

But if, by chance, they did do a mirrorless full frame with a new mount the one good thing is, just like with the Q, there likely would eventually be a K-Mount adapter for whatever new mount they designed. I see both possibilities as steps in the right direction.
12-20-2012, 10:39 PM - 2 Likes   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Didn't they say at Photokina that they planned to stick to the k-mount BTW?
Well sure, but we have future product thread, which means that we have to have the usual assortment of Pentax should burn their customers so they can save an inch on the body.

Then others have to chime in with the fully supported adapter idea, and yadda yadda yadda.
12-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #97
ogl
Banned

Old users with a lot of old lenses won't give money to Pentax.
The profitability of cameras are low. The big money will give the sales of new lenses and adapters for old lenses.
To make new mount for FF is good move. IMO. K-mount is for APS-C.

12-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #98
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
That's how I read it, too. I think they get asked about the mirrorless FF a lot because it'd be one of the easier ways for them to make a splash with fullframe (i.e. something instantly different that hasn't been done yet. Guessing Sony is closest?),
No future tense in Japanese language.
He doesn't say about that they WON'T MAKE.
12-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Old users with a lot of old lenses won't give money to Pentax.
The profitability of cameras are low. The big money will give the sales of new lenses and adapters for old lenses.
To make new mount for FF is good move. IMO.
At the same time it puts a much much higher pressure on the camera maker to produce new lenses to fill all the holes in the line-up and Pentax already have a tough time with filling the holes even if you count in old glass. If you can't build up a new full system quick enough it can prove to be a suicide move.
12-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #100
Site Supporter

The time will answer...To stay with old K-mount in high-end body is mistake. IMO
If you want to use K-mount lenses, it will be easy to produce K-mount AF adapter.

K-mount is the brake on technological progress.
So you are saying Nikon made a mistake staying with the F-mount?
12-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #101
ogl
Banned

Sony, Nikon and Canon have two mounts (A and E, F and 1, EF and EF-M)
Olympus too. 4/3 and m4/3
12-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #102
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
So you are saying Nikon made a mistake staying with the F-mount?
Huge bodies. D600 is not small too. I don't care about Nikon. Nikon is leader, Pentax is photo dwarf.
Mistake or not - It's the questions to Nikon.

Don't panic...Pentax is too apprehensive to offer new mount...
But if Pentax could, it's right move IMO...
12-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #103
Site Supporter

Huge bodies. D600 is not small too. I don't care about Nikon. Nikon is leader, Pentax is photo dwarf.
The F-mount and K-mount are similar in size, and they are both bayonets. The registration distance is also very close. The F has been around since 1959. Compare the actual mounts sometime.
12-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sony, Nikon and Canon have two mounts (A and E, F and 1, EF and EF-M)
Olympus too. 4/3 and m4/3
Pentax got three mounts if you count like that: K, 645 and Q. So they are already supporting quite a bunch, don't forget it. Both Nikon and Canon have both proved to have great production capability and Sony is picking up after the tsunami problems they had. They simply have the production capability to do the bold moves, though both Sony and Nikon uses very old mounts.

Pentax on the other hand seem barely able to produce the lenses they already have (many lenses on shortage from time to time) and have a pretty slow development for new lenses that actually makes it to the market. That pints a finger to the fact that they have to increase the production capability to surely be able to support a change of the mount. Also the way Pentax produces new camera models, barely any parallel production with old models, points to the fact of limited capability. Though I'm sure that Ricoh with their mass-production experience are looking into the issue.
12-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #105
Pentaxian

A modern electronic mount has a lot of advantages, and would probably increase third-party lens support as well, which has been dwindling. If they can come up with an adapter that allows full-feature (or crippled as we have become used to) from K-mount (and release it at the same time as new system), why not?