Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
As Ogl suggested, I think the money is at the lenses and adapters, and this is so very true.
While this may be true in some sense, I think that Pentax lives or dies with existing K mount owners. Change the mount (so that old lenses will not work with AF and/or A setting) and any customer, new or old will much more likely buy into another brand. Pentax can not fight with the big players in the same ring where they're the 800 pound gorillas.

12-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #137
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2013 year will be very interesting...
12-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Alas...60-250 is not FF at all. We don't know how DA* lenses (not officially FF) will work at high MP FF camera.
Assuming they cover the corners at all, it's reasonable to assume that they'll do better - even at the corners - in lp/ph on 36MP FF, compared to 16MP APS-C (same pixel density).

That's for the 300, 200, 55... i.e. the 'full frame' DA* lenses.
12-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Its not about becoming Nikon. Its about staying Pentax. I used them as an example because #1) they started out in the slr business with the F mount and still use it; and 2) it has similar dimensions including registration distance to the K-mount. Changing mounts for the sake of changing mounts would be a silly move for Pentax given the K-mount is their bread and butter at present. Likewise, it would be dumb for Nikon to make a switch. Canon got away with it because they did it in the 80s.
I can't agree more, with every word you said.

ogl, there are enough non-K mounts on the market, go and buy some; be happy, and stop nagging Pentax!

The money are in the current user base, not in adapters. Just try to make them/us buy adapters... they would jump ship, just to spite you.
By the way, one can buy K-mount adapters for NEX, 4/3, NX...

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
2013 year will be very interesting...
It will be the year in which people like you will keep nagging: why oh why is Pentax still making cameras and lenses for their 3 systems, instead of ditching everything and copy the NEX!

12-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It will be the year in which people like you will keep nagging: why oh why is Pentax still making cameras and lenses for their 3 systems, instead of ditching everything and copy the NEX!
My prediction is that it will be a great year for Pentax and everyone will talk about how they've returned as a serious player - except here where there will be umpteen threads about the imminent doom of Pentax
12-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #141
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I can't agree more, with every word you said.

ogl, there are enough non-K mounts on the market, go and buy some; be happy, and stop nagging Pentax!

The money are in the current user base, not in adapters. Just try to make them/us buy adapters... they would jump ship, just to spite you.
By the way, one can buy K-mount adapters for NEX, 4/3, NX...

You are too serious. I have ALL for my photo hobby. No need anything else.
12-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #142
Pentaxian

So you are asking Pentax to change their mount, but in the same time you're saying you won't spend a dime in that new mount because you don't need anything else. OK...

12-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #143

if Pentax dich the K mount for an upcoming FF ... well the market value of the old 35mm lenses (DAF, FA, A, ...) and the new DA will be nothing ! Nearly Unsellable
12-21-2012, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #144
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Time to leave this thread. It's not about translating what was said, it's just the same old bickering about FF.
12-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #145
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ert þú þrá gamla daga?
Sorry Doc, but Google translate doesn't get it.
12-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #146

Its about time Pentax show us they FF plan so we can stop arguing about what it could be but probably wont be
12-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #147
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Time to leave this thread. It's not about translating what was said, it's just the same old bickering about FF.
Actually arguing about whether or not to ditch K-mount!
12-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #148
Pentaxian

Several have quoted me about the modern electronic mount and losing the user base, but in the very next sentence I said they should only do it if they also provide an adapter that works fully with K-mount. I don't think in any way that Pentax should "ditch" the K-mount *users*, although at some point they will probably stop making K-mount lenses if they do switch. All of these comments about if they switch the mount you might as well switch systems are completely unfounded as long as they continue to support the old system even if they don't expand on it. The K-mount is clunky and it is certainly holding them back technologically and makes third-party support more difficult -- that can't hold forever.
12-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #149
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Several have quoted me about the modern electronic mount and losing the user base, but in the very next sentence I said they should only do it if they also provide an adapter that works fully with K-mount. I don't think in any way that Pentax should "ditch" the K-mount *users*, although at some point they will probably stop making K-mount lenses if they do switch. All of these comments about if they switch the mount you might as well switch systems are completely unfounded as long as they continue to support the old system even if they don't expand on it. The K-mount is clunky and it is certainly holding them back technologically and makes third-party support more difficult -- that can't hold forever.
The problem with that theory is Nikon is doing fine with their F mount and Sigma, Tamron et al. don't seem to have a problem with it. The issue with 3rd party support for the K has had more do with other factors. In the case with Tokina, part of it was "entanglements" with Hoya and Pentax etc. Plus, it hasn't been a problem for Sigma and Tammy in the past, why would it suddenly become one?
12-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #150
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Well sure, but we have future product thread, which means that we have to have the usual assortment of Pentax should burn their customers so they can save an inch on the body.

Then others have to chime in with the fully supported adapter idea, and yadda yadda yadda.
+1

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: