Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #301
Pentaxian

And a Japanese to English translation is extremely accurate in transmitting such subtle nuances... NOT!
Don't read too much into that "will", even in the quote it says they will have to decide.

01-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #302
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pay attention that Kitazawa says about bigger diameter of new mount and short focal range. I don't think that it's only WORDS.
I agree + i don't mind if they get this new EVIL FF mount out, with a set of new, luminous and compact lenses and K-mount adaptator. As a "perpetual" or long-term challenger, Pentax has to innovate and differentiate. We all learned this in marketing...

The point is that because of their tiny market-shares, they have also to carry-on in the same time with the K-mount, not to loose their enthousiast base.
And therefore they have also to pursue APS-C reflex and lenses, as well as issue a K-mount FF reflex using renewed K-mount FF lenses.

I am hopefull that Ricoh has eventually understood that they have to cope both with market evolution and with their loyal long-term customers. They must cover the main market-segments in order to enlarge their customer's base. So they must cover APS-C as well as 24x36 segments, alltogether with medium format as it seems to pay and represent their flagship over the other competitors.

OK to do this, they need an awfull lot of R&D and investments.

But that's the game : Imho, everything else will entail the Pentax brand's short or mid-term failure.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 01-02-2013 at 04:20 AM.
01-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #303
Pentaxian

Kitazawa-san said that, IF they WOULD make a new MILC mount, it SHOULD have a larger diameter and so on. He was speaking hypothetically, and it completely made sense.

Innovation and differentiation is not made by copying the Sony NEX mount, FTR; and diluting the efforts into too many markets could be a potentially deadly mistake. It's easy to talk about keeping the Q and the 645D, adding a FF line to the K-mount, an entirely new MILC system with both APS-C and FF. The difficult part is in doing it: finding resources, formulating and executing a plan which would eventually have tangible gains and would not kill them until it's done and so on.

Pentax didn't fail under Hoya, and you're saying they would fail now? Ridiculous.
01-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #304
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax without K mount is.. err.. zombietax

01-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #305
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
Pentax without K mount is.. err.. zombietax
Well, as Pentax died 2007 that name fits well even on K-mount cameras.
01-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #306
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lol just replace the K mount with the 645 mount? And an integrated uncrippled Kmount adapter that works the AF and everything. Meh, I don't think the K mount is going anywhere. Pentax rarely does things out of the blue, and when they do they are quite harmless.
01-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #307
Pentaxian

The 645 mount has a much longer registration distance, thus is unusable with K-mount lenses.

Fogel70, Pentax is surprisingly alive for being dead.

01-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Fogel70, Pentax is surprisingly alive for being dead.
Yep, just like a zombie.
01-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #309
Pentaxian

Are you sure about that? Pentax never died, they just changed owners - when they become a public company, when Hoya took over, and when they were sold to Ricoh.
Think about it like adopted children, they don't die and become zombies because of adoption. On the contrary, in a good family (like Ricoh) they could have quite happy and fulfilled lives.
01-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #310
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Are you sure about that? Pentax never died, they just changed owners - when they become a public company, when Hoya took over, and when they were sold to Ricoh.
They? Pentax is only a trademark that Asahi Opt Co stated using for their first m42 camera in 1957. Pentax as a corporation only existed between 2002 - 2007.

Anyway, the zombie part was obviously just a joke.

Last edited by Fogel70; 01-02-2013 at 12:05 PM.
01-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #311
Pentaxian

This is getting difficult.
The Pentax I care about (for both subjective and objective reasons) is the photographic company/division, people, resources, patent base and whatever who makes the products I'm interested in. It is irrelevant if they are called Asahi Optical, Imaging System Business Division or Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company.

Right now Pentax is again a company, owned by Ricoh and called Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company. They're no less "alive" than when they were Pentax Corporation.
01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #312
Pentaxian

For sure, and i hope we all here are voting for their fair and long sake !

But one must also admit that a lot of work remains to be done in R&D, marketing, commercial... and that the last attempts to "be in the move" are at best too shy successes (Q and K-01) if not relative failures...
01-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #313
Pentaxian

Q, managing to grab 5.8% of the Japanese market, should not be considered failure. Neither is a Pentax Ricoh project... regardless, they're not the only Pentax products
01-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #314
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I think we can all agree that Pentax products are completely decent (to put it lightly) and could benefit a lot from a proper advertising campaign. I see Canon and Nikon on billboards all the time, sometimes even on television. Pretty much any flier of a store that sells cameras features Canikon gear. And usually its the low end Canikon stuff, the stuff that Pentax can compete with or even beat.
Honestly, considering the advertising and general presence in stores, its a miracle Pentax even has that market share. At least over here, maybe its different in Japan, but probably not by much..
01-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #315

Pentax brand at Hoya Ltd

QuoteQuote:
The company provides endoscopic imaging devices and technology to the medical profession under the brand name of PENTAX.
A Pentax, as a brand, is still at Hoya with medical staff.
HOYA CORPORATION
PENTAX
LIFE CARE - PENTAX U.K. Limited

Hoya has sold "Pentax Imaging Division" to Ricoh, Ltd.
With new company Pentax is both: brand and company (Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company, Ltd.)
So, i think, the name will does not vanishing.

Sorry for my angielski język