Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by romeck Quote
So, i think, the name will does not vanishing
should be.... will not get vanished..... jeśli miałeś na myśli to że nie zniknie w trybie dokonanym DDDD (just couldn't resist)

01-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #317

Photos: Albums
..ed

<offtopic>
O, o, o! Tak właśnie! (pisałem vanished, ale gógiel mię wstrętnie poprawiał!)
Trzy lata we Szkocyi (, ale tryby nie zatrybiły

</offtopic>
01-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #318
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Yep, just like a zombie.
Or Jesus. Or a cat
01-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #319
Pentaxian

Cat be it. So, they would have to be resold 7 more times before dying

01-03-2013, 04:09 AM   #320
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Or Jesus. Or a cat
Or a King/Queen.

The Pentax is dead, long live the Pentax.
01-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #321
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Or a King/Queen.

The Pentax is dead, long live the Pentax.
Fine, as long as they avoid "The K-ing is dead, long live the Q-ueen"
01-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Fine, as long as they avoid "The K-ing is dead, long live the Q-ueen"
If you go by sales in Japan, this is clearly the case...

01-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #323
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I was rather annoyed with the interviewer. He was injecting his own views on where Pentax should go instead of asking more open-ended questions.
+1
QuoteQuote:
Up until last year, there was a possibility to create a mirror-less full-frame camera. Looking at all the tradeoffs now, I personally think "with mirror" is the priority we are thinking of for full-frame cameras.

If we do a mirror-less, we have to debate whether to go with a new mount or use the current K-mount. If we go mirror-less, we mind as well use a new mount and make the flange back shorter as well as make the mount a little larger for brighter lenses. Otherwise there is no reason to go mirror-less. [...] we haven't changed mounts in a long time. This has been one of the reasons Pentax customers trust and choose us.

So you prefer a more orthodox SLR with an optical viewfinder over a new kind of SLR with a translucent mirror or EVF? Yes.
-> No [possibility of a] full-frame mirror-less -> no new mount, no EVF, no translucent mirror

*breathes a sigh of relief*
01-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #324
Pentaxian

I never doubted them
01-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #325
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
-> No [possibility of a] full-frame mirror-less -> no new mount, no EVF, no translucent mirror
-> no advantage over the other FF manufacturers -> no future-proof system -> no solution for all the disadvantages of the K-mount, mirror, ovf, etc... -> no reason to wait for the Pentax FF.

If the Pentax FF is going to be the same old DSLR like the FF's of Canikon that are already around right now, then what would be the reason to wait for Pentax?? Life is way to short.

Taking myself as an example, I already own an FF Canon body that happily mounts all my precious K-mount lenses. The only reason I would see to switch back to Pentax is if Pentax would come with something better then their competitors.
01-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #326
Pentaxian

Clavius,the same logic can be extended to the APS-C system: "-> no advantage over the other FF manufacturers -> no future-proof system -> no solution for all the disadvantages of the K-mount, mirror, ovf, etc... -> no reason to buy Pentax".
Wait, it also can be used for the mirrorless, APS-C and/or FF. Then, Pentax must be doomed, they should stop everything and wait to die

How about the people (like myself) who actually can find reasons to go with Pentax? How about those who thinks "well, that C/N is nice, but I wouldn't want to lose X or Y"? I'm sure Pentax can do it also for FF, not only APS-C.
01-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #327
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
they should stop everything and wait to die
Isn't that exactly what they announced in that interview? Nothing new is coming: An FF DSLR. Just as good as doing nothing.

How about the people (like myself) who actually can find reasons to go with Pentax? How about those who thinks "well, that C/N is nice, but I wouldn't want to lose X or Y"? I'm sure Pentax can do it also for FF, not only APS-C.
Please enlighten me. What are those reasons to go with Pentax? And what features wouldn't you want to lose? What does Pentax have, that the other brands haven't?

A few years ago, they had a lot of very unique features that couldn't be found elsewhere. Most of those are either gone, or found better elsewhere now.

Last edited by Clavius; 01-07-2013 at 07:29 AM.
01-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
-> no advantage over the other FF manufacturers -> no future-proof system -> no solution for all the disadvantages of the K-mount, mirror, ovf, etc... -> no reason to wait for the Pentax FF.

If the Pentax FF is going to be the same old DSLR like the FF's of Canikon that are already around right now, then what would be the reason to wait for Pentax?? Life is way to short.

Taking myself as an example, I already own an FF Canon body that happily mounts all my precious K-mount lenses. The only reason I would see to switch back to Pentax is if Pentax would come with something better then their competitors.
There's not really any better/best as a general idea since people have wants that one camera alone cannot satisfy.

Unless Pentax produce several FF cameras at once, which isn't very likely. Some will want a camera optimised for fast sports action and weather resistance, so AF, burst mode and dual slots will be at a premium, which implies fewer megapixels; others will want something with more pixels for landscape and studio things, so fast AF and burst mode won't be a priority but lots and lots of pixels will be; others will be looking for a simple feature set but a very competitive price to match the D600 or the 6D; while still others are looking for something lighter and more modern, probably without a mirror. Whichever mix Pentax goes for first, some will be disappointed while others are overjoyed. Just as with APS-C, FF only makes sense when seen as a range of cameras, imho.

Since this puts any full Pentax FF programme into a timescale that could run to 3-5 years from now for some folks, if the first Pentax FF camera isn't suitable, I would guess the best thing is either to stay with APS-C which isn't exactly a poor choice, in fact it is staggeringly good by the standards of even a few years ago; wait, if you think you are a generalist and Pentax are likely to satisfy you first; or buy the best FF you can afford out in the market right now if you have particular requirements which existing cameras can deal with.

In this sense, "the Pentax FF camera" is a complete El Dorado. There can never be one which works for everyone.
01-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #329
Veteran Member

Clavius,the same logic can be extended to the APS-C system
In fact, even more so. If the K-mount is bad for FF it must be wretched for APS-C.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What are those reasons to go with Pentax?
Small, light camera
Excellent ergonomics
Easy to use
Excellent IQ
In-body SR
Small, light primes

...and of course WR (but I think everyone else has this by now)
01-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Small, light camera
Excellent ergonomics
Contradiction: The K5 is so small that it feels like I'm handling a point and shoot. The above excellent ergonomics of the K20D died together with it.

Easy to use
Which brand isn't? No modern camera is hard to use.

Excellent IQ
Which modern brand doesn't provide excellent IQ?

In-body SR
Sony has it too, and they have an FF camera coming with SR and mirrorless with EVF on top of that. Pentax is seriously lagging behind here.

Small, light primes
Which can just as easily be used on the other brands. The FA's can be used on FF sensor right now.

...and of course WR (but I think everyone else has this by now)
You answerred that one yourself.