Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Ricoh camera in 2013

We've heard in interview about new Ricoh camera in 2013: nor GXR line, neither GR line.
Absolutely new product.

As for Ricoh branded cameras, you haven't released a new model since the company merger. Are you also overseeing the development of the Ricoh branded cameras?

Corporate structure-wise they are part of the same development group. The development team for Ricoh branded cameras is located in Shinyokohama. Of course the development of new products are in progress. There are a lot of great engineers in Shinyokohama and they are working with strong motivation to keep the Ricoh brand going. We will release a new camera in 2013. I believe it is a very Ricoh camera that our core Ricoh users will appreciate.

So you are saying the new camera is a different line of products from the existing GR Digital and GXR lineup?

No comment (laughter)

But we can expect the possibility a new camera Ricoh core users will love?

It's not a possibility. It will launch.

So we can have high expectation with that camera?

Yes, we are giving it our all on this one.

There was a little absence from Ricoh branded cameras, but we can expect a come back?

Yes, we will come back strong. For our customers who have been waiting for a Ricoh branded camera, please stay tuned.

What could it be?

Maybe APS-C compact (pocket) camera with full weather-resistance for travellers with pancake (20-24 mm=30-36 mm) or with super-compact zoom (18-27 mm=27-40 mm)?

This niche is empty.

There are DP1/2, RX1, G1X, Leica X1/X2, X100...

But it's not WR cameras.

Or maybe, it will be something unusual...? But what is it?

Last edited by ogl; 12-25-2012 at 01:20 PM.
12-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Did you translate:
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No comment (laughter)
by: "Yes, indeed, we are preparing to launch something different than the current Ricoh products"?
This is absolutely not even a rumor, it's an invention.
12-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know nothing about Ricoh, but they once had SLRs and adopted the K-Mount in the Asahi days. If the core Ricoh loyalists are from that era, then it would make sense for a Ricoh DSLR to make an appearance now that they have access to Pentax resources. I think the K-01 and GXR teams might work together on something. If there was a Samsung DSLR based on the K10, I can see a Ricoh DSLR based on something too.
12-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Well, it's not like the Ricoh camera division has access to Pentax resources; it's part of the Pentax Ricoh.
I don't see why would they sell Pentax DSLRs under two brands, it would only generate confusion.

12-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I know nothing about Ricoh, but they once had SLRs and adopted the K-Mount in the Asahi days. If the core Ricoh loyalists are from that era, then it would make sense for a Ricoh DSLR to make an appearance now that they have access to Pentax resources. I think the K-01 and GXR teams might work together on something. If there was a Samsung DSLR based on the K10, I can see a Ricoh DSLR based on something too.
Vintage Sears SLRs are (almost) all rebranded Ricohs. Maybe the new K-01 is going to be a Ricoh rebadge of sorts since the K-01 concept actually seems closer to a Ricoh fit than a Pentax one.
12-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Would be pretty funny if the Pentax FF bore the Ricoh logo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monochrome

12-25-2012, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I have a feeling that will actually happen... on April 1st
12-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I have a feeling that will actually happen... on April 1st
Introducing the DKSX500, only available at Sears.

EDIT: Actually, I'd bet more on the K-x/K-r entry level being the Ricoh, and the FF being Pentax. There could well be a reason why Pentax has no true entry level camera out there right now.
12-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

No, the DSLRs will stay Pentax.
12-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Introducing the DKSX500, only available at Sears.

EDIT: Actually, I'd bet more on the K-x/K-r entry level being the Ricoh, and the FF being Pentax. There could well be a reason why Pentax has no true entry level camera out there right now.
This is what I was thinking. As the flagship - for Ricoh - the GXR was dissapointing. Granted the DSLRs are going to be Pentax, but my guess is that something from Ricoh will be based on something from the Pentax brain trust.

Pentax is on a roll. Ricoh cameras not so much.
12-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

It's to be expected Pentax and Ricoh will integrate their technologies, instead of going separate ways. I think both have something to bring on the table, but indeed, Ricoh should benefit from the economy of scale Pentax brings.
12-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Maybe APS-C compact (pocket) camera with full weather-resistance for travellers with pancake (20-24 mm=30-36 mm) or with super-compact zoom (18-27 mm=27-40 mm)? This niche is empty. There are DP1/2, RX1, G1X, Leica X1/X2, X100... But it's not WR cameras
Most of the smaller sensor weather resistant or (even) waterproof compact cameras haven't been all that much better than flops. Even adding in the newest Pentax bridge camera - which also is not selling all that well. A majority of compact cameras are almost disposable in the marketplace (in general) and only last a short few months before being updated and replaced.

...And to add in... Sigma will most likely add in at least two non slr compact in the next year, most likely based on an advancement to their foveon sensor line. All of the big three - Sony, Nikon, and Canon will also be adding in versions of theirs - including an "advancement" beyond the fixed lens' fullframe that will be released soon by Sony
12-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm in for 2
12-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #15
JPT
Pentaxian

Ricoh is good at advanced compacts and Pentax is not, unless you consider the Q.Pentac is good at ILCs and Ricoh is not. That's why the merger made sense. Ricoh will likely release more compacts and leave the ILCs to Pentax. Here are some possibilities.

A GR Digital with a larger sensor
A revival of the GX series of zoom compacts (built-in EVF? That would be nice.)
A monochrome camera (there have been some hints about this, but a long time ago)
Continuation of the CX series of travel cameras

I don't know what they are going to with the GXR, but shops in Japan were further discounting the body and most units just before Christmas. Either they're going to renew it or not pursue it any further.

Whatever Ricoh does, it will probably be photographer friendly and well made. What they could learn from Pentax is how to make their sensors perform better at high ISO.