Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Munfordville, Ky.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 370
Pentax K20 test at Popular Photography

Read it here...

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5112/camera-test-pentax-k20d.html

02-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
CWL
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 40
The result is not impressive at all. I wonder if the tested K20D has fault or not the final version? If you compare it's ISO performance reading with the K10D test, K20D performs worst then K10D and much worst than all the other brands, even worst than older models (E3, A700, 40D, D80, D40x, E510...etc.). ISO3200 and 6400 is unusable according to this report which is not what I read from other sites. The shadow/highline detail is low compare to other brand as well. I think one of the improvement in K20D is the dynamic range, but K10D has a rating of "very high" and K20D only has "High"? The AF speed chart has exactly the same value of K10D? I don't expect much improvement on AF, but how did they manage to get the exact same AF time on all EV in two different tests?
02-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
QuoteOriginally posted by CWL Quote
The result is not impressive at all.

Wow, sounds like a pile of junk. What a negative review. This is sure going to turn away a lot of potential buyers. I mean, look at these quotes:

"With rich features, a big 14.6MP sensor, and an estimated street price of $1,299, Pentax's super DSLR is a rare talent. "

"At first, the K20D seems to be a twin to the K10D. Pentax kept what was outstanding in the K10D and improved it in all the right places [...]"

"This camera captures the most detail in its price class at ISOs below 1600."

"And thanks to the lower power drain of a CMOS sensor, the rechargeable lithium ion battery (same as in the K10D) earns a CIPA rating of 720 shots (half with flash), despite more intensive processing (though it doesn't include IS battery drain)."

"Impressive specs? Yes, but the K20D produced impressive results in the Pop Photo Lab, especially in resolution and detail at most ISOs."

"The K20D turns out impressive images at ISO 100-1600, and proves that Samsung's new, larger DSLR sensors can stand up to the chips made by Canon, Sony, and others."

"And unlike nearly all of its competitors, the K20D has interchangeable focusing screens for specialty work, a bonus disappearing from some pro DSLRs."

"...our tests confirmed that minor modifications and faster processors have improved the image-stabilization system by about half a stop over the K10D."

"Will all of these new capabilities, combined with the well-proven aspects of the K10D, be enough for the K20D to challenge the Canon EOS 40D? We think so, except at the upper ISO limits and in extremely low-light AF challenges. The price is competitive with -- or even below -- DSLRs in the nearby 12MP class, and it's built to outlast most lower-cost models."

"Yes, it costs less, but the 10.1MP Canon EOS 40D doesn't capture detail on par with the 14.6MP Pentax K20D (you get about 10 percent less). [...] Both cameras have live preview, but the Pentax also boasts sensor-shift image stabilization, a clear advantage over the EOS 40D. And the Canon pop-up flash still doesn't support wireless flash control -- advantage, Pentax."
What is Pentax thinking, releasing such an underwhelming camera in today's competitive market? They might as well not bother even making any.
02-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Fl_Gulfer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida Gulf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,033
I agree with Matt!!!! I got my issue in the mail yesterday and read the whole thing today. I really think Canon or Nikon owns the Magazine. I mean what independent Mag would run a 5000.00$ competitors camera in the next couple of pages after a 1300.00$ one. makes ya wonder who is paying there salary?

02-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kitakyushu
Posts: 186
Thats right.......I think its best to concenrate on the positive aspects of this review or any review with substance for that matter. Continually criticising the review will only serve to cast the camera in a negative light and thats not what we want.
02-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
There's a thread about that review with 5 pages of replies here -

Pop Photo K20d review ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
02-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Wow, sounds like a pile of junk. What a negative review. This is sure going to turn away a lot of potential buyers. I mean, look at these quotes:

"With rich features, a big 14.6MP sensor, and an estimated street price of $1,299, Pentax's super DSLR is a rare talent. "

"At first, the K20D seems to be a twin to the K10D. Pentax kept what was outstanding in the K10D and improved it in all the right places [...]"

"This camera captures the most detail in its price class at ISOs below 1600."

"And thanks to the lower power drain of a CMOS sensor, the rechargeable lithium ion battery (same as in the K10D) earns a CIPA rating of 720 shots (half with flash), despite more intensive processing (though it doesn't include IS battery drain)."

"Impressive specs? Yes, but the K20D produced impressive results in the Pop Photo Lab, especially in resolution and detail at most ISOs."

"The K20D turns out impressive images at ISO 100-1600, and proves that Samsung's new, larger DSLR sensors can stand up to the chips made by Canon, Sony, and others."

"And unlike nearly all of its competitors, the K20D has interchangeable focusing screens for specialty work, a bonus disappearing from some pro DSLRs."

"...our tests confirmed that minor modifications and faster processors have improved the image-stabilization system by about half a stop over the K10D."

"Will all of these new capabilities, combined with the well-proven aspects of the K10D, be enough for the K20D to challenge the Canon EOS 40D? We think so, except at the upper ISO limits and in extremely low-light AF challenges. The price is competitive with -- or even below -- DSLRs in the nearby 12MP class, and it's built to outlast most lower-cost models."

"Yes, it costs less, but the 10.1MP Canon EOS 40D doesn't capture detail on par with the 14.6MP Pentax K20D (you get about 10 percent less). [...] Both cameras have live preview, but the Pentax also boasts sensor-shift image stabilization, a clear advantage over the EOS 40D. And the Canon pop-up flash still doesn't support wireless flash control -- advantage, Pentax."
What is Pentax thinking, releasing such an underwhelming camera in today's competitive market? They might as well not bother even making any.
Nah! See, you made a fundamental mistake: you read the text!

You're not supposed to read the text of a review, only to look at the charts and figures at the end and compare them with other cameras charts and figures.

I am sorry but I HAVE to sentence you to read RH's blog and hope you'll learn there how to properly read a review...

(and I am afraid I am only partially kidding here, people do use charts and figures for cross comparison between models...)
02-19-2008, 02:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Well..

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
I am sorry but I HAVE to sentence you to read RH's blog and hope you'll learn there how to properly read a review...
I think I might have to provide also the direct link for the page here as such ;-)

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: First K20D Production Camera Formal Test

Nonetheless, for anyone who reads the PopPhoto figures, do note that the AF timings for the K20D are found to be suspicious as pointed out by Peter Fang in his posts in the comments section of my above blog entry.

I do feel rather disappointed with PopPhoto this time. I don't mind they praised and will praise every camera or lens they reviewed. But if they "mis-printed" test figures, I think this will undoubtedly harm their credibility to death. I do always hate people without good integrity, which I think every famous tester should have (of course, in reality, there are much more constraints for them to think about if they are running commercially).

02-19-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kitakyushu
Posts: 186
The text only represents someones subjective opinion, numbers regarding picture quality are very narrow in scope and never tell the whole picture. I want standardised samples from Phil and IR for example and then I will be better able to assess the real photographic potential of the camera.
02-19-2008, 04:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter
amateur6's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 175
QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
The text only represents someones subjective opinion, numbers regarding picture quality are very narrow in scope and never tell the whole picture. I want standardised samples from Phil and IR for example and then I will be better able to assess the real photographic potential of the camera.
When Phil does complete reviews, the samples are pretty well standardized. For example, I bought my k10d based (primarily; I confirmed that it felt good in my hands) on my comparison of the RAW images between the other 10MPs on the market at the time -- they were virtually identical, and the Pentax was the best value, so I went for it! Yes, Phil's review could have been more "fair and balanced" (HA) but the important thing is that the information was there for anyone who went looking for it.

And frankly (okay, I'm a little odd this way), I don't WANT runaway success for Pentax. I want it to be like Apple: the smart choice for those who need it for what they're doing. I hate Mass Brands (intentional pop caps); they try to please everyone and as a result compromise EVERYwhere.

Remember: the smart choice is seldom the popular choice for a reason (the average IQ is 100). Yes, again -- I'm oversimplifying -- but you get the idea. I'm an elitist and I like it that way.



BTW, it's obnoxious that Ritz Camera says "backorder" but Amazon doesn't, in their online ads in the article. I even discovered that Calumet claims to be shipping the k20d in 1-3 weeks! That's increased from 1-4 days the first time I saw it, though...
02-19-2008, 06:47 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 269
A very favorable review all in all. I also imagine that the retail price will drop by a few hundred bucks within a few months, which will make it that much better of a choice.
02-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Tom M's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 782
Well, look at it like this..

It would be nearly impossible to get two different K10D's with the same lens to post identical AF times, yet PopPhoto manages to do it between a K10D with one lens and a K20D with a different lens, 13 months apart..

Honestly, that fact alone should tell you all you need to know about the review. It's not worth the paper it's printed on
12-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: RSM, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 277
LOL- Nice point.

My borderline cynical viewpoint of the reviews there is that they tend to be the typical sensationalistic journalism you'd see from the mainstream media. I occasionally find useful articles or information, but not much anymore. Herbert Keppler and Tim Fitzharris's articles usually fit that bill. Too bad Keppler is no longer with us.

Carl
12-21-2008, 03:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 841
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
It would be nearly impossible to get two different K10D's with the same lens to post identical AF times, yet PopPhoto manages to do it between a K10D with one lens and a K20D with a different lens, 13 months apart..
Yes, PopPhoto admitted some time after the review that they had in fact copied the AF part from the K10D review, their reason for not measuring the AF in the K20D was that the AF was the same anyway so they did not bother with it.
And technically it is the same, but there is a difference even between early production K10D and late production K10D's, late production K10D's more in line with K20D.
So AF figures from early production K10D is misleading for the K20D.
12-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I agree with Matt!!!! I got my issue in the mail yesterday and read the whole thing today. I really think Canon or Nikon owns the Magazine. I mean what independent Mag would run a 5000.00$ competitors camera in the next couple of pages after a 1300.00$ one. makes ya wonder who is paying there salary?
Trust me there is some truth to your remarks. It was their complaint to Ned that was instrumental in my departure from Pentax sponsorship. I would post positive accolades about Pentax and be greeted with derision and abject hostility.

Ben
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Popular Photography (May 2010) Lab test of 100/2.8 Macro WR jhaji Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 04-15-2010 09:10 AM
Pentax in Sept. 2009 Popular Photography smf Photographic Technique 3 08-26-2009 09:30 PM
Pentax in 4/09 Popular Photography smf Photographic Technique 0 03-16-2009 01:46 PM
k20d test in popular photography magazine hll Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 04-04-2008 01:16 PM
Pentax K20D Review in Popular Photography Pentax_XTC Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 02-20-2008 06:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:15 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top