Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #181

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
possibly an entry-level K-r style replacement.
Honestly this would give me the most hope, I think that not having an entry level camera is a mistake. I think entry level cameras bring people to the brand.

01-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
Honestly this would give me the most hope, I think that not having an entry level camera is a mistake. I think entry level cameras bring people to the brand.
I think the K-30 is somewhat coming down into the entry-level price range by now. Well, not 1100D-level, but at least the 650D/D5200.

But oh, I sure do hope they put up even a mockup of something big coming this year. That would be enough. Maybe they're just waiting for Canikon to bring up their big guns before they do, just so that they get better opportunities for retention.
01-29-2013, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #183
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I think the K-30 is somewhat coming down into the entry-level price range by now. Well, not 1100D-level, but at least the 650D/D5200.

But oh, I sure do hope they put up even a mockup of something big coming this year. That would be enough. Maybe they're just waiting for Canikon to bring up their big guns before they do, just so that they get better opportunities for retention.
I always thought the K-30 was the Kr replacement and, by default, was the entry level camera. The best idea would be to drop the price a little more, move the K-5II into mid range level, and then bring in something new in the high end. The K-5II would have to have its price dropped a bit, but that would only be reasonable. If the D5200 really is beating it out in some of the lab tests, then that's the price range it should be competing with. I remember hearing other people make this recommendation as well, but no one seems to bring it up anymore.

When I "bought into" Pentax, the biggest reason was because it was the best value for my money. Lately, I feel like I'm paying more for less. I love my K-30 and the pictures it can take, but Canon and Nikon are offering features (better af for one) that Pentax just can't compete with. Pentax needs to become that "best bang for your buck" company that I used to recommend to everyone I know. It's just become so hard to make that recommendation.
01-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
When I "bought into" Pentax, the biggest reason was because it was the best value for my money. Lately, I feel like I'm paying more for less.
I think those days are farrrrrrrrr gone
Since Hoya bought it, the whole bang for buck thing has been long gone...

01-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #185
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The point about insurance is probably true, but I did hear that the Q10's introduction was delayed four months by supply issues caused by the tsunami. It's quite possible that other releases were delayed too.
Tsunami? Is it JOKE? Pentax didn't suffer from tsunami...No production lines in Japan.
01-29-2013, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #186
Veteran Member

This is more likely to be about the supply chain than about the final assembly location. I looked at my K-5; there are lots of little pieces inside. Who'd have guessed?
01-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ford Motor Company couldn't assemble Focus cars in Mexico (or anywhere else in the world) because a SINGLE PART (the plastic fuse panel base) was single-sourced from a destroyed Japanese factory. Auto manufacturers lost access to 2/3 of the WORLD'S radiator hose supply for 18 weeks because a specific chemical, made only in Japan and Belgium, could not be made. Auto makers took their summer vacations in April, May and June because they all lost access to some critical part due to the tsunami.

It isn't hard to imagine a relatively small camera company had a product introduction delayed, either by the earthquake, tsunami or by the Thai flooding. As a matter of fact, a global bank's research department recently went bullish on Ricoh stock because the knock-on effects of the tsunami and Thai flooding are finally behind Ricoh - and they believe DigiCam will be significantly additive to company earnings.

01-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #188
ogl
Banned

GXR system, GRD and Ricoh P&S are frozen. Nothing new for last year. Absolutely nothing. K-01 and K-30 are developed in HOYA time.

But we have A LOT OF interesting interviews....

I have all I want...But I'd like to see the progress in Ricoh Pentax.

Last edited by ogl; 01-29-2013 at 11:20 PM.
01-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I always thought the K-30 was the Kr replacement and, by default, was the entry level camera. The best idea would be to drop the price a little more, move the K-5II into mid range level, and then bring in something new in the high end. The K-5II would have to have its price dropped a bit, but that would only be reasonable. If the D5200 really is beating it out in some of the lab tests, then that's the price range it should be competing with. I remember hearing other people make this recommendation as well, but no one seems to bring it up anymore.

When I "bought into" Pentax, the biggest reason was because it was the best value for my money. Lately, I feel like I'm paying more for less. I love my K-30 and the pictures it can take, but Canon and Nikon are offering features (better af for one) that Pentax just can't compete with. Pentax needs to become that "best bang for your buck" company that I used to recommend to everyone I know. It's just become so hard to make that recommendation.
I think Pentax always refered to the K-30 as a mid-level camera. Whether you or I see it that way depends largely on if our criteria are primarily price or feature based. Price-wise, the K-30 is probably closer to entry level. If you value pentaprism vs. pentamirror, two control wheels, weather sealing, picture IQ, and SR, it's definitely mid range. I don't think any other brand offers even three out of five of those features on their mid range models.
01-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #190
Veteran Member

I was told by my local Pentax rep' (only a week ago) that a Pentax FF is definitely coming but he couldn't say when. I doubt ANY new APS-C cameras will be announced until later this year (maybe in September) because teh pricing structure of teh line would need a total shake-up to fit anything into it. The K-01 is going out at ridiculous prices (that camera is probably about to be discontinued) and will possibly be replaced by a low-end APS-C offering within the next 3 to 6 months so there may just be an announcement re' that.

Last edited by bossa; 01-30-2013 at 02:06 AM.
01-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
K-01 is going out at ridiculous prices (that camera is probably about to be discontinued) and will possibly be replaced by a low-end APS-C offering withing the next 3 to 6 months so there may just be an announcement re' that.
Personally I'd be more interested if they developed the K-0x line into a dedicated enthusiast camcorder line with K-mount native for lenses Similar to Sony's VG900, but APS-C.
01-30-2013, 02:20 AM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
If they have nothing more to offer than Beyblade-inspired WG's and Anime Q10s, I'll join the whining crowd
Hey, they have the pinhole lens for the Q as well, so I can remain a happy pentaxian
01-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Hey, they have the pinhole lens for the Q as well,
A pinhole lens? Seriously?! I think that answers the question in the other CP+ thread of how Pentax views its customers quite well.
01-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
A pinhole lens? Seriously?
Actually, it seems to be more than just a hole, it's a "small hyperfocal lens". Anyway, it's a toy for the Q.
01-30-2013, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #195
Pentaxian

So far I see nothing but toys announced. And even the AF360FGZ II flash is a toy, if it has the same build quality as my own AF360FGZ.