Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My issue with film is no decent lab in st. Louis. Where should I send my film?
Why would you send it anywhere ?
B&W is easily processed at home.

01-31-2013, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
In fact we did see more from Pentax and Nikon than any other brand, alltogether.
Why no one is mentioning Leica Camera?
They are small, very small. Smaller than Pentax and way smaller than Ricoh.
Yet, an FF M9 introduced in 2009 has saved the company, made it profitable. They still can't make enough cameras and lenses to meet the demand.
Since then, Leica has made a premium APS-C mirrorless cameras (two iterations), several iterations of the M9, including Monochrome, M9-P and for 2013 there M TYpe240 and an M-E.
They source sensors as they can - Leica doesn't have enough buying power to resource Sony's FF sensors, for example, but still they want to be in the game, they innovate, and they re not afraid to raise come chatter, to show what's coming months ahead to keep people buzzing: M-E and M-240 showed at Fotokina in September 2012 are just about to be shipped.
01-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #243
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice sig tag!

My issue with film is no decent lab in st. Louis. Where should I send my film?
A trusted name in photo processing for over 50 years - Dwayne's Photo
01-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #244
Lens Buying Addict

Well I suppose that's where I need to go then. I sent the last rolls of K-64 there and I was delighted.

And I'm really a dilletante; I won't be developing or printing at home. I hate Photoshop too.

I enjoy the taking part of photography just not the making part.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-31-2013 at 04:41 PM.
01-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #245
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Investigating, developing...
They wouldn't release a date if it is not even developed yet...
Oh, and I forgot that the WG-3 was also announced.
The WG-3, Q10 and MX-1 are all very cool products.
But it's not my style at all...
02-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #246

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I was hoping at least that they would have given more details about the lens in development... I am sooooooooo interested into the 16-85!!!!
02-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #247
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Neither are they mine. But they are both cool and very sellable cameras.
Of course a big proportion of us here on the forum are waiting for something more significant to be announced, but the smaller items have a bigger market, and the bigger items take longer to develop and perfect.
02-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #248
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Why no one is mentioning Leica Camera?
Because they aren't remotely comparable?

Leica is a boutique luxury label with a collection of current and legacy lenses and cameras that are considered "the best of the best" (in some cases fairly, and others not so much). They appeal to a certain segment of the photography public who are willing to pay the extra cash to buy into the (German) luxury brand that Leica has spent more than a half century building. That's why people will spend several times more for a Leica lens than they would for a comparable lens from another manufacturer (even Zeiss or Schneider) for vanishingly small (or even nonexistent) improvements in quality.

That's also why they can get away with selling something like the supposedly "innovative" Monochrome M-9 for $10k+. Frankly, it's hilarious watching the Leica fans drool over the output from this camera, when its image quality is worse than out-of-camera b+w jpegs from dslr and lens combos costing less than half of what the M-9 does. They let the brand cloud their judgment of the actual capabilities of the camera,

Pentax is and has always been largely a consumer brand. They can't get away with selling cameras at the enormous margins that Leica does. Look at what happened with the K-01 and the Q. They were incredibly overpriced at first, and no one bought them (a relative term of course, since I'd wager that the still outsold any current Leica model in absolute number of units sold). Put them at a brand-appropriate price point like they are now, and people are scooping them right up. If Ricoh wanted to be Leica, then they wouldn't use the Pentax or Ricoh brands. They would create an all new brand and release a bunch of overpriced, high-end gear under a new label that didn't have the baggage. Just like Toyota (Lexxus), Honda (Accura), and Nissan (Infiniti) did in the automobile market to compete with Mercedes and BMW.

02-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #249
Pentaxian

Oh well, we still have Adam's interview to look forward to.
02-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #250
Pentaxian

Well I suppose that's where I need to go then. I sent the last rolls of K-64 there and I was delighted.

And I'm really a dilletante; I won't be developing or printing at home. I hate Photoshop too.

I enjoy the taking part of photography just not the making part.
I understand that quite well.
But if one day you can't find a proper lab anymore, all is not loss.
Darkroom takes space, indeed. But developing film does not require space, at all.
You only get half the job done though.
And I hate PS too
02-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #251
Veteran Member

Pentax CP+ 2013 Booth Tour - DigitalCamerainfo.com
QuoteQuote:
[...] I took the 560mm lens for a spin and found it to be superbly sharp when stopped down to f/8 [...] Some of the biggest traffic jams at CP+ happen because of booth babe rubbernecking, and the Pentax booth was no exception. [...]
02-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #252
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
7000USD lens is not sharp wide-opened...???
02-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #253
Lens Buying Addict

"The Pentax booth didn’t exactly set itself apart from the herd (except perhaps in terms of intelligent layout), but it’s hard to visit it and not come away with a sense of optimism for the company. Pentax has been accused of a lack of direction in the recent past, and noodling about with oddities like the K-01 and Q haven’t done much to endear it to enthusiasts, but there was still plenty of enthusiasm on display here in Yokohama. Most refreshingly, it came not only from the company’s loyal users (or “Pentaxians,” as they like to call themselves), but from the many employees on the show floor."

Intelligent layout but not so crazy as to announce itself - so .... Pentax! And happy employees are a sign of good things to come. I know whereof I speak having just spent 4 years in a merger - we're JUST NOW getting a little bit happy again. JUST NOW!!.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-05-2013 at 07:07 AM.
02-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #254
Pentaxian

Then, things are happening more than twice as fast as you hoped for?
02-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #255
Loyal Site Supporter

"The Pentax booth didn’t exactly set itself apart from the herd (except perhaps in terms of intelligent layout), but it’s hard to visit it and not come away with a sense of optimism for the company. Pentax has been accused of a lack of direction in the recent past, and noodling about with oddities like the K-01 and Q haven’t done much to endear it to enthusiasts, but there was still plenty of enthusiasm on display here in Yokohama. Most refreshingly, it came not only from the company’s loyal users (or “Pentaxians,” as they like to call themselves), but from the many employees on the show floor."

Intelligent layout but not so crazy as to announce itself - so .... Pentax! And happy employees are a sign of good things to come. I know whereof I speak having just spent 4 years in a merger - we're JUST NOW getting a little bit happy agian. JUST NOW!!.
Most insightful comment - thanks.