Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #256
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
And I hate PS too
I've unfortunately had literally every single version of Photoshop - typically the full versions. When I go back and think about how much I've spent on items such as that and also the extras like the plug-ins... Think of where else one could spend all of that money...

Back in the 80's and 90's that money would basically buy any fully equiped (and very large) darkroom - which is something that I still regularly use

02-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #257
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Back in the 80's and 90's that money would basically buy any fully equiped (and very large) darkroom - which is something that I still regularly use
My core lament about digital photography is the opportunity cost of the time and money we've spent in front of a conmputer screen manipulating electrons - and the outright loss of the talent, skill and creativity combined in the best (and even the average) lab developers and printers. Add obsoleting our own combined darkroom experience and technique - what a tragedy.

My daughter took a wonderful Winter-Term college course at Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu, NM (Ansel Adams and Georgia O'Keefe). It was chemistry, theory and practical application (climb a mesa, expose a landscape, develop, dodge, burn and produce - for a GRADE). Using a 100% mechanical camera. She took a CLA'ed KX and a set of K lenses. IIRC a brick of TMAX 100 and a brick of Tri-X 400.

As a side-bar, there was a challenge to produce an image as close to an Adams view as possible using a modern, all mechanical 35mm camera and modern papers and chemicals. Find the location, adjust for film size, adjust for light, chemistry, etc and have a go. Of course no one came even close, but the challenge and the explanation of the technique employed was the fun and the discussions were enlightening.

That course led directly to her career - and it is no longer offered. Wet printing is such an anachronism that not enough students signed up. Tragic.

[Edit: I really do think we've lost something, and i Really do rarely sit down at my computer and make images to upload. See - here's the first post on my blog that I've never followed through on - from last April!!]

Last edited by monochrome; 02-05-2013 at 07:48 AM.
02-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #258
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I've unfortunately had literally every single version of Photoshop - typically the full versions. When I go back and think about how much I've spent on items such as that and also the extras like the plug-ins... Think of where else one could spend all of that money...

I'm not surprised. I have no such well equipped lab. Only a very small home made lab downstairs.
I certainly wished I could get a real good lab though
I'd switch electrons for photons any day in a heartbeat