Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WideOpen Quote
Please - release a DA* to replace the 16-50mm! As stated above, it could happen, because something like it is on the roadmap...

A 17-85mm f/4 is my best guess (or perhaps hope), to complement the the DA* 60-250mm f/4, which is a resounding success. Quite honestly, with today's and tomorrow's sensors, the many compromises that are apparently necessary in order to get a constant f/2.8 are simply not necessary. What more would someone need than a K5II/IIs and a DA* 17-85 f/4 for 90% of your needs???
As interested as I would be in a lens like that, I wouldn't at all consider it a replacement for the DA* 16-50/2.8. It would be an alternative lens for when you want a smaller package, and a little more reach, in exchange for speed. I still think we need to see an true DA* 16-50/2.8 II. Preferably the other as well...

01-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Hi All,

I see Pentax Ricoh are exhibiting at both PMA@CES (Jan 8-12 2013 2013 International CES® Exhibitor Details - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION) and at CP+ (Jan 31 - Feb 3 2013 List of Exhibitors | CP+ CAMERA & PHOTO IMAGING SHOW 2013)...

I wonder if anything new will be displayed?

Apart from the obvious...wait for it... Full Frame... I would love to see a mock up or production version of both the DA100-400?? and 1.4X convertor shown on their lens roadmap....

Hopefully they will also soon release the 560mm for sale?

Cheers,
Gordon
Here's my prediction of what we'll see at CP+:
  • The new DA* zoom
  • The Q "body cap" lens
  • The SDM teleconverter (about time)
  • A new Pentax camera (definitely not FF and probably not mirrorless)
  • A new Ricoh camera (and maybe a gxr K mount)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
  • The new DA* zoom
  • The Q "body cap" lens
I could get down with that.
01-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
  • The new DA* zoom
  • The Q "body cap" lens
would be great !

01-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

What will actually be there:
-yet another gimmicky lens coating
-an even bigger Ricoh printer
-a new P&S that nobody will care about

I am only joking, I have no idea, but some of the past Pentax events were rather disappointing, due to the grandiose rumours, so lets set our standards low this time..
01-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What will actually be there:
-yet another gimmicky lens coating
-an even bigger Ricoh printer
-a new P&S that nobody will care about

I am only joking, I have no idea, but some of the past Pentax events were rather disappointing, due to the grandiose rumours, so lets set our standards low this time..
I kinda agree with you on this one. Look at how small their exhibition booth is (in comparison to Canon/Nikon/Sony ones):

photo from http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?show_id=ces13&userid=&lang=EN&locale=EN
Attached Images

Last edited by frank; 01-03-2013 at 06:58 PM.
01-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Tell us how you go there - is the weather over there prone to causing traffic problems?
Not so much at the destination, but more so from either of my two optional take off points - either Charleston or Pittsburgh. Interestingly enough Charleston has far less than ten commercial flights per day on most normal days. Add to that it's ranked as number eleven as worst airports in the world. It's one of those ones where if the landing is just a few dozen meters off - there's no chance for a second try - ouch.

Last year I flew enough to earn two roundtrips to anywhere in the world, but… Cannot also tell everyone how many times I've been delayed even over trivial weather. Then there's also the rerouted luggage.

This is almost giving me the idea of starting a new thread… On how to get larger amounts of gear to a destination.

01-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
consider it a replacement for the DA* 16-50/2.8. It would be an alternative lens for when you want a smaller package, and a little more reach, in exchange for speed. I still think we need to see an true DA* 16-50/2.8 II
If one can get away with giving up a bit on the wider end on the scale… Add a bit more lens weight and size; the Sigma 24-70 much faster focusing, far more reliable, same aperature
01-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
If one can get away with giving up a bit on the wider end on the scale… Add a bit more lens weight and size; the Sigma 24-70 much faster focusing, far more reliable, same aperature
The difference between 16 and 24 is pretty considerable on aps-c. I have a Tamron 28-75, and it's a beauty of a lens, fast focusing and sharp as a tack. But it's just not nearly wide enough to be a primary working lens, and it's annoying to keep changing lenses every time I want to shoot something wide. The 16-50 is the perfect size to just leave on and shoot just about anything. That is, until I kicked mine off the tripod the other day, and it doesn't zoome much anymore. It's more of a 28-35 now...
01-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I kinda agree with you on this one. Look at how small their exhibition booth is (in comparison to Canon/Nikon/Sony ones):

photo from 2013 International CES® - Floor Plan - by MapYourShow
It's not the size of the thing, it's how you use it!
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #26
Banned

• The new DA* zoom
  • The Q "body cap" lens
It would be ironic if after all the merging of brands the only freshly designed product would come under the Ricoh brand.
01-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #27
Pentaxian

CES is irrelevant, I don't expect any ILC-related product announcement there. If they have something to show us, I bet it would be at CP+.
01-04-2013, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #28
Banned

CES 2013 from Pentax:
- An updated lens roadmap for K mount: now printed in full colour plus cool embossing of the headline
- K-5 II with IR enabled sensor, so we'll have 3 new K-5 DSLRs in total
- Definite date for the launch of the pinhole cap lens for the Q
- 24 new colour combos for the Q
- Now a definite statement that they'll be thinking really, really hard on new cameras to be introduced sometime in 2014
01-04-2013, 04:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
It's not the size of the thing, it's how you use it!
Yeah, right
01-04-2013, 04:31 AM   #30
ogl
Banned

[*]A new Ricoh camera (and maybe a gxr K mount)[/LIST]
No way for GXR K-mount.