Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 04:29 AM   #76
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That too were my thoughts Kunzite.
CP+ is an opportunity for Pentax to bring out some well awaited annoucements, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it just stayed with these two new developments - it does take time to redesign and engineer new products.
As Adam has said - FF is unlikely to show itself this year, but a few successors to existing models may surface, and perhaps later on a successor to the 540FGZ.

01-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #77
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps the MX-1 is the new digital K1000 (only not being an ILC)?
Sounds like an interesting development for a P&S.

Last edited by Ash; 01-08-2013 at 05:01 AM.
01-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #78
Pentaxian

I think this is good development. Just have to wait for now how it will perform.
01-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #79
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
and perhaps later on a successor to the 540FGZ
Just put a swivel or a new diffuser/gel pack on every Pentax flash and then re-release it.

Is this the new Pentax philosophy?? Just keep on placing minor upgrades on as many products as possible with little to no innovation since the K30

01-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #80
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Just put a swivel or a new diffuser/gel pack on every Pentax flash and then re-release it.

Is this the new Pentax philosophy?? Just keep on placing minor upgrades on as many products as possible with little to no innovation since the K30
I think it is understood that they will be releasing new products -- certainly a flagship APS-C camera some time this spring. However, I think that Hoya left the cupboard relatively bare and generating new products with new auto focus systems, etc takes time.
01-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #81
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote

How quickly do you think Pentax can produce new equipment? The updates on existing gear is fine. K-5 II, K-5 IIs, 360FGZ II - these are all quite welcome. The K-5 was already a very good APS-C - the K-5 II built on that. It takes time to get a new and more advanced sensor to produce a flagship successor. The K30 was released on the 25th of June, 2012 - barely 6 months ago.

What are you looking for? Have you voted here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/209882-next-...oh-pentax.html ? But be realistic.
01-08-2013, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #82

Don`t crucify me if I'm wrong!

My impression is that more things are happening at Pentax now, than it ever did when they were owned by Hoya. Let's therefore be patient and hopeful, and give Pentax som time. Remember - Rome wasn't built in a day!

Smile - be happy - and keep on shooting!
01-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #83
Pentaxian

You are not wrong.

01-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
My impression is that more things are happening at Pentax now, than it ever did when they were owned by Hoya. Let's therefore be patient and hopeful, and give Pentax som time. Remember - Rome wasn't built in a day!
Given that Pentax was practically in "power save mode" under Hoya, they managed to bring some really amazing cameras to the market (remember, even the K-30 is still a Hoya-era product!), so I really expect great things to happen. The MX-1 is no bad start, given what Pentax used to present at CES-time (anyone remember E-70 and P-70 from 2009?), I can't wait to see what they have in store for CP+!
01-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Given that Pentax was practically in "power save mode" under Hoya, they managed to bring some really amazing cameras to the market
K-7, 645D, K-x, K-r, K-5, Q - many significant products were launched under Hoya. So far, we only have derivative stuff coming from Ricoh under the Pentax brand. I don't think we have yet seen what Ricoh is working on, although this MX-1 might hint of some larger product to be announced at CP+.
01-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
K-7, 645D, K-x, K-r, K-5, Q - many significant products were launched under Hoya. So far, we only have derivative stuff coming from Ricoh under the Pentax brand. I don't think we have yet seen what Ricoh is working on, although this MX-1 might hint of some larger product to be announced at CP+.
I think CP is still too soon to announce a product we'd all rally behind. I hope so, but I don't want to rush things.
01-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think CP is still too soon to announce a product we'd all rally behind. I hope so, but I don't want to rush things.
I don't think CP would rush anything - Pentax was acquired in July 2011. They had 1 year and a half to develop a product. Maybe that will be a Ricoh branded product, rather than a Pentax branded one, but after all this time they should be able to announce some new product that merges Pentax and Ricoh technology.
01-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #88
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I don't think CP would rush anything - Pentax was acquired in July 2011.
It was October 2011, actually, when the deal closed, and antitrust law looks rather dimly upon any kind of coordination or information sharing prior to the close date (known as "gun-jumping").

So officially, they wouldn't have even started talking about product planning until after the October closing, and I'm sure there must have been a familiarization and integration period before substantive work started. So we're still barely more than a year at this point for real product development.
01-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
It was October 2011, actually, when the deal closed, and antitrust law looks rather dimly upon any kind of coordination or information sharing prior to the close date (known as "gun-jumping").

So officially, they wouldn't have even started talking about product planning until after the October closing, and I'm sure there must have been a familiarization and integration period before substantive work started. So we're still barely more than a year at this point for real product development.
Good points. By CP+, Ricoh will have owned Pentax for 1 year and 3 months. Was that enough? I guess we'll see soon. With both camera companies having experience producing ILCs, I would expect this to be a good time to see some results.
01-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #90
Pentaxian

I agree with Quicksand; no way the development of new products could start before Pentax Ricoh was founded, not even immediately after that.
Patience; it doesn't matter if it's CP+ or few months later.