• A major no-show disappointment
  • More disappointment
  • New unofficial rumors of the kingdom come camera finally being developed
  • Yawn

01-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
But it's going to be a drawn-out process of brand (and lens and camera) building before Pentax is a viable FF brand.
Alternatively, they could release a jaw-dropping product that gets attention for all of the right reasons, like the Sony full-frame fixed lens camera, or the entire Fuji X system.

I find it interesting that they don't commission top photographers to create projects to show off their camera systems. For example, when Canon wanted to launch the 5d MkII video function, they brought in a Pulitzer-winning photographer (V. LaForet, who has since built a career in video) to shoot with it.
01-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
You mean 2011, right?
Yep, sorry - using the wrong calendar, I guess

dcshooter, the 645D "experiment" was started by the old Pentax Corporation; with such a competitive advantage on the DMF market, and with money already spent on R&D I'd guess it was easy to convince Hoya they should finish&launch it.
In comparison, trying to build a pro small format system now would be suicide, IMHO. Of course, there is the non-pro small format option...

fuent104, I don't believe into a one "jaw dropping" product. But how about the market? The Sony RX-1 is definitely an interesting product, how well does it sells? And the Fuji X? Aren't they still under the radar, despite putting some effort at making "jaw dropping" products?
01-28-2013, 01:59 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The fundamental point is that none of us really know anything about what Pentax-Ricoh is actually doing.

However it seems increasingly that Pentax has a small market share because they have made some very bad decisions in the past - or at least decisions that in hindsight were bad. Although at least we are no longer living in the dark days of the *ist series when lens availability was so poor.

01-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #140
Pentaxian

Are you sure nobody here have the slightest idea?
01-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #141
Veteran Member

If the ones in the know are so buttoned up, it's really like nobody here have the slightest idea, in the end.
01-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is always like this. The people who know don't talk, the people who do talk don't know and things spin wildly out of control with a combination of gloom and doom and inflated speculation for the future.

My expectations have been for a 24 megapixel APS-C camera, for some time this spring and probably a full frame camera in December of this year.

01-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is always like this. The people who know don't talk, the people who do talk don't know and things spin wildly out of control with a combination of gloom and doom and inflated speculation for the future.

My expectations have been for a 24 megapixel APS-C camera, for some time this spring and probably a full frame camera in December of this year.
That sounds pretty realistic. I think we may hear something more about the in-camera moire removal system Pentax have mentioned, because it is one of the few ways they can make waves and distance themselves from the thundering herd.

I'd add a new Ricoh cam of some kind. Putting Pentax in charge of Ricoh cameras is not unlike putting the fox in charge of the henhouse in some respects. Pentax might see in Ricoh cams a handy way of getting ride of the clamour for mirrorless cams using the K mount. Instead, Ricoh becomes the Pentax mirrorless brand so to speak. But who knows. I haven't a clue, though there have been fewer hints and talk on the web than usual so I'm not expecting unicorns.
01-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #144
Pentaxian

While those who know won't talk, we have some information pointing out to the direction Pentax is going. I'd guess we can extrapolate that with quite a high degree of accuracy, from what they did in the past
Indeed, Pentax Ricoh seems even more secretive than Hoya-Pentax. Too bad about the unicorns, though.
01-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #145
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Huh? APS-C is Canon's bread-and-butter and I'd take a K-5 over a 7D any day of the week.

I'm OK with Pentax taking their time, but the FF is going to be divided. There's too much of an advantage with FF, and the disadvantage (cost) is rapidly going down.
I'd rather have a K-5 than a 7D, too. However, professional photographers, of which I'm not, want a superior photography "system" and Canon is better than Pentax in providing that. We don't need to look farther than the flash systems to understand why.
01-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #146
JPT
Pentaxian

Looks like they will be introducing three new rugged compacts, at least.

CP+???????????????????????WG??????? - ????info
01-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #147
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who cares about it?
01-28-2013, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I often use this as a joke too, but it seems that Pentax really believes that extra hundreds of colours and newly printed and laminated lens roadmaps constitute valid and viable new announcements.
In reality, it's nothing but a pathetic excuse to say "we actually have nothing to show" and that should be done in between photo shows, almost as a footnote.
RH get out of that body !!
01-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I think the K-3 will not appear at least one year after the introduction of the K-5II. So I guess it is too early at CP+.
It's not too soon if the K-3 is a higher spec'd higher priced body. There's room for an APS-C line above the K-5.
01-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It's not too soon if the K-3 is a higher spec'd higher priced body. There's room for an APS-C line above the K-5.
That's my opinion too.

A 24mp sensor, more AF points, larger viewfinder, faster FPS, E.L overlay on OVF, built-in WiFi, built-in GPS,

All of these are possible additions. Although I suspect all but the sensor, AF points and FPS would require a new body.